Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times

Advertisements

More like the world, at the age of 5 I could've told you where Iran was...no joke...
not that I would know the significance, but I am very geographically aware...
I find if fun to look at maps, I don't know why....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times
Heck yea. I think that studying maps as a kid, started young, made me appreciate diverse regions in the US as well and why certain heavy populated areas are located where they are.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I think it all started in 7th grade for me cause I remember looking at all the biggest cities for each state and being curious about them. I also remember looking up cities in the encyclopedia in my spare time.

I like stats and the differences between places, If Im in a book store or a library for some reason I'll usually look at a book on cities or landscpaes.

I also remember doing a project in the 4th grade on any state that we wanted and I picked Delaware, I was interested in Delaware and Rhode Island cause they were so small and kinda over-shadowed by everyone else. Maybe it all began in 4th grade.

I like looking at Rand McNally too when I need some reading material in the bathroom.

Last edited by desert sun; 11-20-2008 at 02:16 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 07:06 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Yeah. I especially loved big cities and maps of them. I was very interested in foreign cities and countries like London, France, Japan, Australia, China. When I was young I would study maps and atlas' of all these places and more just out of curiosity and for fun and it left me, I'm glad to say, pretty aware of where most places are and capable of getting around places I visit for the first time.

I only wish I had had the same spirit when it came to learning a lot of other things.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Yes, I did growing up as well. I loved looking at other states and how to get there, as well as the scenic areas with the state capitals. When I travelled abroad to Estonia and Argentina, I was fascinated with the culture and topography of those areas, that I bought maps of the country and put them on my wall in college. Maps are great, and I hope they stick around for a long, long time!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Im kinda stuck here in TX for the time being. I've looked into it but seems my computer skills are not up to par.

With all the growth here in DFW, I thought the Mapsco Company ought to give me a company car and let me spend all day driving neighborhoods and update their maps. I am sure I couldn't cover all of the streets in this area in a year's time. Sounds like it ought to be at least a $75k a year plus car plus benefits, right? Oh well, a guy can dream can't he?

This has me so emotional I went back to the start of the thread and gave everyone a quick reputation point. Found out the site doesn't like one to be too effusive in point giving. After a couple of pages I now am told I have to wait 24 hours before I can give any more rep points, lol.
NAVTEQ: Home

Apply for Field Analyst. It's essentially street name and address verification, plus capturing new road centerlines. They'd hire you, but not for 75k!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I think that studying maps as a kid, started young, made me appreciate diverse regions in the US as well and why certain heavy populated areas are located where they are.
And I also used to use the maps to find alternate routes around those heavily populated areas

Old 11-20-2008, 11:14 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I like looking at Rand McNally too when I need some reading material in the bathroom.
Now that's what I really call being on the move!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
I thought that I was the only one that did that. My Moms used to say that when I was about 5 years old that I could read a New York City subway map and give out directions to different points of interest. I was into looking at train and bus maps for different cities. I can recall when I went to Chicago 3 years ago and wifey was shocked that I knew my way around considering it was my first time out there. I guess I will always be a map junkie. I'm not gonna even start with what happens if I see a globe.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
Yeah, I love maps as well. I was a statistic geek. Everytime friends would talk to me about one city or another, I always knew the population of them. They would be like how do you know all these things. I didn't know. Sometimes someone would say something like such and such a city is bigger, and I'd be like hold on there fella, your wrong about that, this city is actually bigger. I have an absurd desire to want to know about all cities. I could probably tell you the population of some small city on the opposite coast of where I am living with pretty good accuracy. Metro statistics are kind of a new form of stat taking, so I am learning pops all over again. I used to just go with cities and there immediate surrounding. Now everyone wants to include three other major cities within what seems like a hundred miles to their metro stats, so on here I am learning knew understandings of statistics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.