Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Target or Walmart?
Target 81 69.23%
Walmart 14 11.97%
Neither 22 18.80%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Walmart smells like decay. the decay of family business.
I think Wal Mart bashing gets out of hand sometimes. Wal Mart is only doing what Sears, Wards and Penney's did years ago. Those retailers were also accused of causing the downfall of local businesses. Truth be told, in many cases, such as Lafayette, CO, there was no downtown to destroy. It was already gone when WM moved in and the city obtained some much needed tax revenue. Target is a national retailer, too. Part of the Dayton-Hudson chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hell, a "Scranton vs. Wal-Mart" poll is a poll that Scranton could actually win!
Probably, ScranBarre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Wal-mart wouldn't be around if people didn't shop there.
I agree. Our WalMart is neat and clean. I have been in some that were dumps. Ditto Target. In fact, our Target gets picked over and ratty looking at times. I did not state a preference. It depends on what you're in the market for. Target does not have a home sewing dept. or a very large craft dept; Wal Mart does. (This is based on comparison between my local stores.) Wal Mart sells scrubs, Target doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Target finally got me to bite on the " open an account and save 10% ".
Now I get 3 or 4 10% coupons a year - you know what they say...
a dollar saved.....

Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think Wal Mart bashing gets out of hand sometimes. Wal Mart is only doing what Sears, Wards and Penney's did years ago. Those retailers were also accused of causing the downfall of local businesses. Truth be told, in many cases, such as Lafayette, CO, there was no downtown to destroy. It was already gone when WM moved in and the city obtained some much needed tax revenue. Target is a national retailer, too. Part of the Dayton-Hudson chain.

Wal Mart, Sears, Wards, Target and Penny's are all responsible for the downfall of local family business. They are greatly responsible for the downfall of American made products.
Wal Mart is just the biggest and baddest of these terrible chains, so therefore it recieves the brunt of the criticism.
People across the nation are always preaching about buying American made products yet they shop for all their things at WallMart where their products are made in sweat shops around the world.
these national chains are destroying our economy- sucking out every industry in the nation until we are simply a service based economy. We put the money in to the system but it don't come back- but don't forget Lafayette, Co got some tax revenue
Thats the problem with the American Capitalist machine.
Would you like some fries with that?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
I prefer Target over Walmart because Target has better quality of goods...

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,368 times
When people say reguardless of where you go you get the same crap from China, I tend to agree. But Target does have some designers and exclusive products like that that are produced in America.

MY big deal is that Target gives away 2% of it's profits every two weeks to local communities. Target was named the most charitable company in America by Forbes Magazine, at least two years in a row now.

They also have safer stores in my opinion. You hear about purse snatchings and stabbings at local Wal-Marts, and then hear about some incident at Target, and half the time, the situation is resolved by Target security, or at the least, they put out such an effort that the victim feels an obligation to tell the local news about their extra push to help. At least, this has been my experience. It might be better training of the staff, or maybe just better clientele...

Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,775 times
Quote:
They are both evil, but Walmart is the Devil.
LOL I agree.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:40 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Targets by far.

I loveeee working there.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Wal Mart, Sears, Wards, Target and Penny's are all responsible for the downfall of local family business. They are greatly responsible for the downfall of American made products.
Wal Mart is just the biggest and baddest of these terrible chains, so therefore it recieves the brunt of the criticism.
People across the nation are always preaching about buying American made products yet they shop for all their things at WallMart where their products are made in sweat shops around the world.
these national chains are destroying our economy- sucking out every industry in the nation until we are simply a service based economy. We put the money in to the system but it don't come back- but don't forget Lafayette, Co got some tax revenue
What difference does it make if you buy your Nikes at JC Penney's or Mom and Pop's? And speaking of sweat shops, Nike is one of the worst offenders, and they don't sell at Wal Mart (or Target that I know of).

Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
I can appreciate the point you're trying to make here. However, I don't think "mom 'n' pop" places necessarily sell American made products. Where do you get that notion?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What difference does it make if you buy your Nikes at JC Penney's or Mom and Pop's? And speaking of sweat shops, Nike is one of the worst offenders, and they don't sell at Wal Mart (or Target that I know of).
Nike is evil too, but if you buy it from a Mom and Pop it would benefit your community much more directly than if you bought it from a national chain.

Comparing Wal Mart to other giant corporatations isn't doing any justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.