Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

New York - 3 things I like and 2 things I hate

three things I like most:

1. NYC -well known
2. Adirondack State Perserve - Largest wilderness in the east, 2000 lakes;, bigger than Vermont
3. Great Neighbors - Pennsylvannia, New Jersey, Quebec, New England, Ontario!

two things I like least:
1. NYC government - does not care about the quality of life or how the city looks for either its residents or tourists and takes for granted that they will keep coming anyway.
2. New York taxes - not just how much but how they are wasted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,557 times
Massachusetts.

What I like:

1. The history. Places like Plymouth, Boston, Salem, Lowell, New Bedford, Nantucket, Lenox, and the rest.
2. The city of Boston as a whole.
3. The availability of higher education and excellent medical care so close to home.
4. The natural beauty. Places like Cape Cod, the North Shore, and the Berkshires.
5. The fact that it produced the Kennedy family and was also the birthplace of three other presidents.

What I don't like:

1. The fact that the government is made up mostly of Democrats. We need more balance.
2. The perception from the outside that Massachusetts is any one of the following: parochial, racist, full of snobs, full of cold and unfriendly people, made up of wanna-be New Yorkers, a haven for radical liberals and homosexuals, etc. I think its partly our fault but still somewhat undeserved.
3. The T. It needs an expansion and runs inefficiently but is still billions of dollars in debt.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Passion for sports.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM

142 posts, read 358,321 times
I too am proud of Massachusetts for many of the things that the two previous posters have stated and specifically I am proud of the fact that our Pilgrims in Plymouth gave us the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I'm also proud of:

the American Revolution started here with events such as the Boston Massacre, The Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Breeds Hill (Bunker Hill), the Battle of Lexington and Concord.

William Lloyd Garrison started his Abolitionist movement in Boston; inspiring Frederick Douglass in Boston to join the movement.

Massachusetts' contribution to the literary world has been immense: Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, Dickinson, Longfellow, Alcott.

Massachusetts was the only state in the Union that did not vote for Richard Nixon in 1972. (Wash D.C. also voted for McGovern).

Harvard University and MIT; Fenway Park and the Boston Red Sox.

The Kennedy family and the contributions they have made on the behalf of those less fortunate.

Famous after they left Massachusetts - Benjamin Franklin, Edgar Allan Poe and Babe Ruth.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
I too am proud of Massachusetts for many of the things that the two previous posters have stated and specifically I am proud of the fact that our Pilgrims in Plymouth gave us the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I'm also proud of:

the American Revolution started here with events such as the Boston Massacre, The Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Breeds Hill (Bunker Hill), the Battle of Lexington and Concord.

William Lloyd Garrison started his Abolitionist movement in Boston; inspiring Frederick Douglass in Boston to join the movement.

Massachusetts' contribution to the literary world has been immense: Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, Dickinson, Longfellow, Alcott.

Massachusetts was the only state in the Union that did not vote for Richard Nixon in 1972. (Wash D.C. also voted for McGovern).

Harvard University and MIT; Fenway Park and the Boston Red Sox.

The Kennedy family and the contributions they have made on the behalf of those less fortunate.

Famous after they left Massachusetts - Benjamin Franklin, Edgar Allan Poe and Babe Ruth.
There are other schools in Boston besides those two, which aren't even in Boston...

Old 01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

142 posts, read 358,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
There are other schools in Boston besides those two, which aren't even in Boston...
I never said Harvard and MIT were in Boston.

And yes, there are schools in Boston. Are you proud of them in terms of the original poster's question ? If so, please share your thoughts.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Illinois:

1.) Chicago- Third largest city in the US, diverse, great food, entertainment, and huge downtown

2.) Champaign-Urbana- aka Silicon Prairie, with University of Illinois( Illinois largest university), and one of the top schools in the country.

3.) Sports- White Sox 2005 World Championship, Chicago Bulls 6 championships from 1992-98.

4.) Barack Obama- Are new President of the United States and first identify African-American President

5.) University of Chicago- A university in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood and one of the Big ten universities in the country.

I have too many to list, so I stop here.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
What makes me proud of my home state of New Jersey is how proud the people are to be New Jersey residents.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What makes me proud of my home state of New Jersey is how proud the people are to be New Jersey residents.

lol that's certainly true about them. That's why NJ and NY have such a rivalry about where they're from

Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol that's certainly true about them. That's why NJ and NY have such a rivalry about where they're from
I think its all in fun, but when you think about it their are no 2 states in America that have a better working relationship than New Jersey and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.