Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times

Advertisements

We've had one of the coldest winters in our city's history this December January. Somehow people have gotten use to it at least, and no one is really complaining anymore. Just waiting another month till spring sets in...

Anyway, one thing that's happened in the consistantly cold weather has really chased away the homeless either out of the city, or indoors.

I'm wondering if the cold weather and lack of warm spells in January will have a long-term effect this summer on the #'s who stayed in the city.

I always want to say - why don't you start walking south in October! to the obvious ones who have no support, job or home. The ones who are alone and on the same corner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,212 times
Smelly.... don't give them money, give them soap.
I suspect that the best panhandlers are not even
homeless. Why these *******s are allowed to stand on the
same offramp with that sign and gas can is beyond me.
I guess it's cheaper to ignore them in the name of tolerance.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
I have no freakin idea how there can be homeless people in Denver or Albuquerque in the Winter it is so freezing!! I have no idea where they go, since the overcrowded shelters have no room.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,732 times
They're chilly

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 920 times
In the past,I always had plenty of money,a decent paying job or both. It seemed impossible that I would ever become homeless. I only looked down on anyone in that situation. If they asked for money,I ignored them. If I was in a bad mood,I yelled get a job. In the economic downturn,I was laid off from my job of fourteen years. I have had no luck finding one for a long time. My credit cards were maxed out. My retirement funds were cashed out and spent on necessities. I was conned into accepting an expensive subprime mortgage when times were better. The house will soon go to foreclosure. Some homeless are dirty panhandlers. Others are dangerous. The thought that I will soon be with them,is very scary. People are nasty,toward those in such a vulnerable position. The only thing kind about the St.Petersburg area,is the warm climate.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,094 times
We have a ton of homeless people in San Antonio all over the place. There are panhandlers along the side of most major intersections.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
we're doing fine

Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
As in all cities, there is not a particular type of homeless person in Phoenix. There are some who have mental disorders, who should be in hospitals. Others are transients who are in Phoenix for a couple of weeks, on their way to some other city. Some of the homeless are families. Some of the homeless are drug and alcohol users.
Most of the drug and alcohol users have mental illnesses as well.

It's easy to say that people with un-managed mental illnesses should be in hospitals -- some should, until they learn to manage their diseases -- but so many of the public psychiatric hospitals have closed, and more are closing every day, and the communty-based mental health treatment facilities that have been replacing the public psych hospitals are filled to their brims.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
In the rare times that I get into downtown Chicago, I almost always get hit on by bums on the street. The best tactic is to walk quickly, ignore them and don't make eye contact. Don't present yourself as a potential victim and don't look like a tourist. Also, if I see them, I'll frequently cross over onto the other side of the street just to avoid a confrontation.

I had one guy follow me for a couple of blocks and kept asking me for money while he followed me - talk about creepy.
I think they sometimes enforce laws against aggressive panhandling. I know in some cities they have come up with a voucher program for the homeless so if you want to give them something there is more control over how it will be used. Not in Chicago though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.