Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I feel bad for all these people having to live somewhere other than NYC. You can sense there jelousy of us. Listen, none of you matter, nor does you backwater hillbilly town in nowhere land.

We're # 1. Dats it.
The only downfall that people keep saying is that its so expensive.... well you pay for what you get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What other cities could this well known Billy Joel song apply to? I think LA, which is almost like a way of life, Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston and maybe Miami and Las Vegas, which are as much 'states of mind' as places.

Maybe I'm out to lunch here; but I didn't grasp the OP at all in any put-down or negative way. The song simply (ok, eloquently) relates one person's love for his city. Just like "Rocky Mountain High" describes,...well, the Rockies! (sorry - 12 hour day - that's what comes to mind just now. )

If I understand your post, all those big cities you mention, and more, have things unique only to them. Thus, "a state of mind". For someone who loves Philly; the mention of certain places or foods, traditions, etc. could put them in a Philly State of Mind.

I'm upstate by a good bit, but I work & travel in the city often. I grew up out west - and I don't see any difference between New Yorkers or Denverites or Virginians. Jerks, snobs, & boors are to be found everywhere. Surrounded by ten times that many folk who are nice, respectful, & enjoyable to know. It's just that nice people don't stand out in a crowd the way obnoxious people do. When there's that many people in NYC on any given day, of course you'll remember the moron.

Just my rant in defense of one of my favorite cities. Wouldn't want to live there, but sure love to come down & play!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario View Post
i feel bad for all these people having to live somewhere other than nyc. You can sense there jelousy of us. Listen, none of you matter, nor does you backwater hillbilly town in nowhere land.

We're # 1. Dats it.
lol!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Ahhh, it doesn't get any better than this...

YouTube - New York State of Mind

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There's something about NYC no other city in the world - London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, Hong Kong - has that attracts me to it. It's the only one that seems like another world.
I find that NYC compares very, very poorly to Hong Kong.

Milan is and always will be better than Manhattan. Manhattan has (or had, hah) all of the money in the world to buy class, but it's still importing it straight from Milan. True beauty, true class, is at home in Italy

Last but not least, Paris is a creature so unique and so completely incomparable that no one else comes close. I love Paris dearly NYC will never look like that. It has its own advantages and disadvantages, its own unique style and charm... But Paris kicks the world's ass.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Milan is and always will be better than Manhattan. Manhattan has (or had, hah) all of the money in the world to buy class, but it's still importing it straight from Milan. True beauty, true class, is at home in Italy

Last but not least, Paris is a creature so unique and so completely incomparable that no one else comes close. I love Paris dearly NYC will never look like that. It has its own advantages and disadvantages, its own unique style and charm... But Paris kicks the world's ass.
In a sense yes paris is beautiful city but imo i need diversity. Diversity is a more beautiful thing. Watching the world in one city. Sharing ideas, arts, culture, etc from the streets to the top notch institutes and businesses.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

I went to Hong Kong a few years and wasn't that impressed. Much preferred Singapore, actually.

Most detractors of NY seem to look down on anything American, because America lacks the longer history of Europe. Cultural elitism, imo...but I digress. Yes Paris might have more 'culture' as you put it, but is it another world away from France? To me New York is the only city which belongs as much to the World as America. Which is why the UN has its headquarters there. It still is the cultural capital of the world.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
New York is better than Paris because it contains far fewer disgruntled, second-generation Algerian teenagers who want to set your car on fire for being French.

Then again, Paris is Paris and that is nothing to sneeze at.

:-)

ABQConvict

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Sorry, doublepost.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.