Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Los Angeles CSA according to the State of California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
City wise it didn't feel bigger to me. I've never considered just because a city is more dense, that it feels bigger. I've been to DC atleast 5-6 times and we usually drive through the city. It feels about the same size as Houston.
I'm not sure what route you took when you drove through the city, all I can say is DC proper is night and day different compared to Houston. DC proper is much more urban than Houston.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
I was in Houston all this week. It's a gigantic suburb with pockets of suburban skyscrapers and a pretty small downtown proportional to the city's population (mostly just skyscrapers, a few parks, museums). One thing that made me feel Houston's downtown was much larger than it is was the tunnel system that connects skyscrapers through skyways lined with shops/cafes. It was fun to explore the vast system.

D.C. on the other hand feels like a much larger city, and I didn't even venture into the suburbs. You see more per square mile. People are out walking everywhere.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Phoenix just plowed through the Bay Area and will plow through Detroit and Boston by the next Census. Then we will be in the top 10.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I'm not sure what route you took when you drove through the city, all I can say is DC proper is night and day different compared to Houston. DC proper is much more urban than Houston.
Of course DC is extremely more urban than Houston, but it didn't feel really bigger to me. Lots of the streets were dead or filled with crackheads. DC is only really busy around the CBD, but outside of that it isn't exactly NYC.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I was in Houston all this week. It's a gigantic suburb with pockets of suburban skyscrapers and a pretty small downtown proportional to the city's population (mostly just skyscrapers, a few parks, museums). One thing that made me feel Houston's downtown was much larger than it is was the tunnel system that connects skyscrapers through skyways lined with shops/cafes. It was fun to explore the vast system.

D.C. on the other hand feels like a much larger city, and I didn't even venture into the suburbs. You see more per square mile. People are out walking everywhere.
Downtown is anything but small. It's definatly small for it's city limits, but not small compared to other downtowns.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Phoenix just plowed through the Bay Area and will plow through Detroit and Boston by the next Census. Then we will be in the top 10.
Haha it sounds like you are talking about your favorite team possibly winning the Super Bowl here...

Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Of course DC is extremely more urban than Houston, but it didn't feel really bigger to me. Lots of the streets were dead or filled with crackheads. DC is only really busy around the CBD, but outside of that it isn't exactly NYC.
First of all, no city in America compares to NYC. NYC is one of a kind. One of the nice features of DC is that it's only 4 hours away from NYC.

Now I know that you are making up stories when you claim that DC streets are dead or filled with crack heads. That is an absolute lie and you just proved that you have no clue of DC with such a claim. Obviously you are just making up stories from your imagination or from what you perceive DC to be. Too funny.

Let me see, it looks like you're from Houston. Did you know the amount of money that circulates in DC metro in a day is more than the amount of money that circulates Houston metro all year? I don't think you know that.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
^Do you realize San Antonio covers double the area that the Cleveland or Cincinnati area covers?

Don't matter, Out of San Antonio's 2,031,000 metro 1,622,000 is in Bexar County and in the San Antonio Core. Cuyahoga county and Hamilton county are larger than San Antonio city limits but yet have a smaller population, in Cincinnati case, considerably smaller. San Antonio has several counties to the south that are not heavily populated, they are not the center of population for the region.

Cuyahoga 1246(458 land) square miles -1,295,000
Hamilton 412 sq miles 842,000 -population loss.
Bexar 1200 sqm 1,622,000
San Antonio proper (330 sq miles- original nearly 1.4 million)-408 sq miles 1.4 million

San Antonio larger than both the first 500 square miles.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
This is a MSA thread. What the hell does the first 500 square miles of a metro has to do with the rest of an entire metro???? You did the same thing in a San Antonio vs Charlotte thread. You can slice up ANY metro and come to some conclusion that the place is much denser, because it has so many people with in a certain area. I don't do that. Only a select few like you do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.