Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Icelandic cities are the best! Walhalla, North Dakota doesn't even have any sex offenders. When was the last time you heard of Iceland causing anyone problems
The people? No. Their Volcanoes? Well, that's another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM

419 posts, read 448,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Icelandic cities are the best! Walhalla, North Dakota doesn't even have any sex offenders. When was the last time you heard of Iceland causing anyone problems
I am positive Bjork has caused problems for more than a few people, and she makes up a quarter of their population.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
You got that right. I was raised in the uppermidwest, lots of Germans. It was very hard to make new friends. Then we went to Texas and Florida and what a world of difference. Most of the people in the South, are Irish and English. They tell you their life stories the first time you meet them. I love it. I agree about Italians too. They aren't afraid to make friends. They're not afraid of people, period, lol.
There are probably only few Germans anywhere in the US, only masses of Americans of remote German ancestry. But the world has moved on quite a bit since mass emigration from Europe. Today's Germans are very very different from those just 100 years ago, let alone 200 years ago. Modern Americans of German ancestry are closer to Germans of the 18th and 19th centuries than to modern Germans.

Making friends with modern Germans is easy by the way. It really makes sense to draw a clear line between Germans and German-Americans.

(I know this is an old thread, but I just got a reputation comment on one of my old posts here, so I decided to read the last couple of pages that I had not read before.)

Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,421 times
Are you kidding, kidphilly, they may not be as fun, but German immigrants weren't known for being corrupt- not one little bit.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 PM

35 posts, read 32,390 times
I thought people with german backgrounds made up the largest percentage of the US?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1984 View Post
I thought people with german backgrounds made up the largest percentage of the US?
Not in the South

Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Not in the South
Actually there are many areas of the South were German ancestry is common. My hometown was settled by Germans, as were many others throughout the South.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
Being of Malaysian stock myself, I'll have to agree that many towns I've been through that have had a northern European background to them have kept themselves up quite nicely.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually there are many areas of the South were German ancestry is common. My hometown was settled by Germans, as were many others throughout the South.
The vast majority of rural areas in the Upland South have very little German ancestry. This is particularly true in most parts of Appalachian KY, TN, WV, NC etc

Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I grew up in Iowa and Minnesota and found the towns in those States to be very nice.

I asked somebody one time why the small towns in Minnesota were so much nicer than most cities in America. The person replied that it was due to a German influence in Minnesota. Many of the small and mid sized towns in Minnesota were settled by the German immigrants. They brought their own culture to the towns. This culture included being neat, clean and efficent. Germans were also known as very hard workers and disciplined. The number of people in Minnesota who are German stock is still very high..

I wonder what impact the German people had on setting the culture of many towns in America. I suspect that their influence is still felt.

(I have no German blood myself)
I don't think it's due to German culture but rather that Minnesota and Iowa are states with small populations.

Small towns of New England are equally nice and they're dominated by people of English, Irish and French stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.