Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 03:50 PM

40 posts, read 113,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I guess it's just the luck of the draw in the long run. Perhaps I'm just fortunate and you've been unlucky.
Or maybe DeaconJ is making his own luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Perhaps.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
Or maybe DeaconJ is making his own luck...
Or maybe you shouldn't try to judge situations from typed words you read on a computer screen...that's not very bright.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
That's funny because most Canadians I've ever met have had the "superiority complex" you've found with Germans, and it really pissed me off (it appears to have done the same with you and Germans).

I guess it's just the luck of the draw in the long run. Perhaps I'm just fortunate and you've been unlucky.
As for the encounters I've had with Germans, they have been downright rude...not simply exhibiting a false sense of superiority. I don't really care if the handful of people in this thread believe me or not...these have been my experiences and EVERY TIME they have fit the common stereotypes of Germans - and more.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've been around MANY arrogant Germans throughout my lifetime, and never have I met one that was appealing in any way. On the other hand, every Canadian I have ever encountered has been totally pleasant, as have Brits, Australians, Dutch, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, and so on. There is often a language barrier, and if that's the only excuse our local German expert in this thread can come up with...then I wonder why it isn't a problem with any other nationality...
Sorry, but I just don't believe you. I am convinced the problem lies with you. What more can I say?
Tell us where you met those "many" (how many?) Germans and under which circumstances. Were you a GI stationed in Germany?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
DeaconJ sounds like people who have only negative experiences with Blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Pakistanis etc. He will never have a nice thing to say. There are a lot of people like that in this world. It is a sad thing because they spread prejudice everywhere they go.

ABQConvict

Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I grew up in Iowa and Minnesota and found the towns in those States to be very nice.

I asked somebody one time why the small towns in Minnesota were so much nicer than most cities in America. The person replied that it was due to a German influence in Minnesota. Many of the small and mid sized towns in Minnesota were settled by the German immigrants. They brought their own culture to the towns. This culture included being neat, clean and efficent. Germans were also known as very hard workers and disciplined. The number of people in Minnesota who are German stock is still very high..

I wonder what impact the German people had on setting the culture of many towns in America. I suspect that their influence is still felt.

(I have no German blood myself)

I thought Minnesota were full of Swedes

Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
DeaconJ sounds like people who have only negative experiences with Blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Pakistanis etc. He will never have a nice thing to say. There are a lot of people like that in this world. It is a sad thing because they spread prejudice everywhere they go.

ABQConvict
That may be going a little far. Just because he has had negative experiences with a certain culture (whether it was his doing or not) doesn't mean we should pair that with Jews, Blacks, etc. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM

105 posts, read 236,110 times
Quote:
Give him the benefit of the doubt.
Well said.

And i Agree with Deacon, I have had many a encounter with Germans who tried to look down on you. ( not all may i say but a good majority) go anywhere on holiday in Europe and their arrogance is unbelievable towards the locals of whatever country you are in,lets say greece for example.

Dont start with ''oh look another racist comment'' you need too see it with your own eyes.

And dont start with ''the Brits are just as bad'' because i know we are.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I thought Minnesota were full of Swedes
...Minnesota is filled with BOTH Scandinavians and Germans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.