Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I'm guessing a lot of the criminals in our inner cities are descended from southerners. When i worked in the auto industry many of my older coworkers had moved up to the Youngstown area from the south to work in the mills. I also know that many of their children are lowlifes that sell drugs and don't work. Their parents are nice, hardworking people, but apparently they couldn't keep their kids out of trouble. Some of these people's children were also murdered due to their lifestyle.

Congratulations on writing one of the most appalling things I've ever read in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
^Actually, I wrote that........it may be appalling, but it's the truth. Fact: a son of one of my former co-workers was murdered in Youngstown, he was involved with bad things and his parents were from the south, he also happened to be black. I've seen this happen time and time again, this is real life and i've seen it happen.

I DID NOT say that all southerners are criminals, nor did i say all black people commit crimes. I can say that many inner cities in the north have a large percentage of african americans. I mentioned Youngstown's AA population was around 45% in 2000. Every murder that's happened this year in Youngstown has been black on black crime, mostly drug related. Did you read the Great Migration story i linked to???? Where did northern AA's come from???? Where did their ancestors come from??? OP asked about ancestry and where people were from............what i said may be appalling, but it's true.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
I think I heard that only 25% of today's Americans have anscestors who were here before 1860? I might be wrong. I know with my family, about half of my ancestors arrived in the late 19th century, but some branches were here before the Revolutionary War.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
I did a quick google search and found several books and articles relating to black people moving from the south to the north, being segregated into northern ghettos, and then later on those areas becoming crime ridden.

Check this out:
Quote:
Three million African-Americans moved from the American South to the North—primarily to its big cities—between 1940 and 1960, and another 1.4 million relocated during the 1960s. This was one of the biggest migrations in American history, four times the size of the first black migration north during World War I. Lacking the work skills and education for successful adaptation to the urban rough and tumble, blacks occupied the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. Nonetheless, they kept migrating, lured first by wartime jobs, then by hopes for economic and social opportunities foreclosed in the South.
Quote:
Spurred by crack cocaine and the widespread availability of illegal handguns, these grandchildren of Southern migrants were responsible for the massive crime surge of the late '80s.
The Claremont Institute - The Great Black Hope

If you read the article above that i took the quotes from it talks about a decrease in crime, but it does prove my point..........

Here's excerpt from a different article:
Quote:
Those sad changes didn’t happen because of white racism; they happened because of a series of long-term trends: the Great Migration of rural Southern blacks to the urban North, white flight from Northern cities to populous suburbs, the professionalization of urban police, and so on.
Race and Crime--Stuntz (Less than the Least)

Detroit and the Great Migration

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
^Actually, I wrote that........it may be appalling, but it's the truth. Fact: a son of one of my former co-workers was murdered in Youngstown, he was involved with bad things and his parents were from the south, he also happened to be black. I've seen this happen time and time again, this is real life and i've seen it happen.

I DID NOT say that all southerners are criminals, nor did i say all black people commit crimes. I can say that many inner cities in the north have a large percentage of african americans. I mentioned Youngstown's AA population was around 45% in 2000. Every murder that's happened this year in Youngstown has been black on black crime, mostly drug related. Did you read the Great Migration story i linked to???? Where did northern AA's come from???? Where did their ancestors come from??? OP asked about ancestry and where people were from............what i said may be appalling, but it's true.
All those "facts" and not one link to support them. Those aren't facts, dear...they are simply unproven statements based on your opinions.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
I did a quick google search and found several books and articles relating to black people moving from the south to the north, being segregated into northern ghettos, and then later on those areas becoming crime ridden.

Check this out:

The Claremont Institute - The Great Black Hope

If you read the article above that i took the quotes from it talks about a decrease in crime, but it does prove my point..........

Here's excerpt from a different article:

Race and Crime--Stuntz (Less than the Least)

Detroit and the Great Migration
None of that proves the statements you made earlier...these links COULD lead us to believe those things are true, but they certainly aren't proof.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
All my ancestors are from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Mississippi. As far back as I can tell in family genealogies we've always been in the South and I pray to God that's the way it stays!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
All African Americans have ancestors who lived "down there" during the Civil War.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 AM

416 posts, read 712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
How would you Northerners feel if a bunch of people from Alabama started invading New York etc...?
They've been doing that for centuries. Because there are jobs in New York.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:11 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,197 times
Quote:
I should also clarify that we also have a lot of former white southerners in our area as well, but they mostly came from Kentucky and West Virginia, where most of our black southerners came from states like Mississippi and Alabama.
CortlandGirl has spoken truthfully on what took place in the Youngstown/Warren area of Ohio. I'm not going to bash the South, but I will reflect the facts with regards to crime. The safest places to live in our country, as far as safety from violent crime, are in the Northern states. They are places like Scranton, PA, Johnstown, PA, Wheeling, WV, Fargo, ND, etc.

As a Northerner whose ancestors came to this great land after The Civil War, I believe that a lot of this low crime had to do with the good European values that were introduced into these Northern cities. In WI/MN/The Dakotas, German and Scandinavian Lutheran families with a strong family structure. In places like Scranton and Wheeling, Eastern European Catholic families with a strong family structure. In aforesaid types of families, you worked hard, prayed hard, and did what Mom and Dad told you. You didn't even consider breaking the law, as you feared the resulting punishment at home far more than that you would receive from the law.

When Southern migrants headed North, the cities that they headed to experienced spikes in crime, and the cities they did not head to stayed very safe. The pattern exists to this day. Just look at the UCR reports. Wheeling and Johnstown remain very safe, and places like Flint and Detroit are among the most dangerous cities in our nation. The only Southern cities that are very safe are in the Northern parts of Southern Appalachia, places like Huntington and Charleston, WV. My guess is that these places have closely knit families with a father present who raises his boys to be young gentleman. Around Youngstown/Warren, the lack of a father figure in the home is the number one cause of young men becoming delinquents, regardless of their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.