Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these states is the best to live in?
California 34 50.75%
Arizona 9 13.43%
New Mexico 19 28.36%
Nevada 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
New Mexico would be first for me

California second- I would love it here but its too expensive and too crowded for me

Arizona and Nevada- I would never even cosider living in either place, I would rather live in Mississippi.
What is the hate-on that New Mexicans have against AZ? The place is so similar to what you call home, only with more options. Color me confused...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
California has the ocean and moderate coastal climate, that's a winner for me.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM

113 posts, read 553,135 times
Have been on assignment in NM for a few months and fell in love the food and the climate was surprisingly gentle compared to AZ and NV (I'm assuming due to the altitude), but I have to say it's hands down CA, obviously I'm biased but there's way more to do, it's much more diverse in terms of people (at least in the larger cities) and absolutely just-right climates if you're closer to the water.....NM 2nd b/c it's not as blazing hot in summer, NV just b/c of Vegas, AZ sorry, you're last.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What is the hate-on that New Mexicans have against AZ? The place is so similar to what you call home, only with more options. Color me confused...

honestly I dislike Phoenix more than any other city I have been to, I know we are kinda similar but I think the reason I dont like it is cause it reminds me of a huge spread out mid-sized city, things are just so spread out and traffic is all congested on those streets. The city just isnt what I would expect of a population over 4 million people. Im not one of the people on here that complain about sprawl but I hate to drive in traffic across town to go somewhere, Im more of a small town person anyways. I know every city has traffic problems but it just seems a little different with Phoenix, and Im not talking interstate traffic.

The city just dosent have a vibe to it, its like being in anytown USA but with cactus and palms around. I think the city just grew too fast. It has no unique-ness, no charm, no sense of history. Its kinda like Rio Rancho here, its probably the least New Mexican type city cause its all sprawl and transplants, its just new stuff in the desert with no history or charm.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
I don't know either. New Mexico and Arizona are very similar in landscape, culture, and even climate to a degree. I don't know when Phoenix and Arizona became synonymous, because Phoenix certainly doesn't represent the state of Arizona. As far as I'm concerned, Albuquerque and Tucson are very similar. I am sure that if New Mexicans were, for some reason, forced to leave their state they'd be pouring into Arizona.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
honestly I dislike Phoenix more than any other city I have been to, I know we are kinda similar but I think the reason I dont like it is cause it reminds me of a huge spread out mid-sized city, things are just so spread out and traffic is all congested on those streets. The city just isnt what I would expect of a population over 4 million people. Im not one of the people on here that complain about sprawl but I hate to drive in traffic across town to go somewhere, Im more of a small town person anyways. I know every city has traffic problems but it just seems a little different with Phoenix, and Im not talking interstate traffic.

The city just dosent have a vibe to it, its like being in anytown USA but with cactus and palms around. I think the city just grew too fast. It has no unique-ness, no charm, no sense of history. Its kinda like Rio Rancho here, its probably the least New Mexican type city cause its all sprawl and transplants, its just new stuff in the desert with no history or charm.
I didn't know Phoenix was a state? Yet, you keep talking about it as though that's all there is in Arizona.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
i like all of these states to be honest they are the best in the USA in my opinion, Florida is cool too

Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Everything I don't like about New Mexico is multiplied ten-fold in Arizona (mainly in the cities): heat, bland-Americana, chain stores, Californication ;-)

That said, my disdain for Arizona is over-generalized. I really do like a lot of parts of the state, just not so much the cities.

In a way, New Mexico is a cooler (temp-wise), more moderate, more 'authentic' (not as commercialized), and less populated version of Arizona.

If it makes you feel any better, if Southern New Mexico was a state unto its own, it would be below Arizona on my list ;-)

ABQConvict

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
California. Other places TOO HOT.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Everything I don't like about New Mexico is multiplied ten-fold in Arizona (mainly in the cities): heat, bland-Americana, chain stores, Californication ;-)

That said, my disdain for Arizona is over-generalized. I really do like a lot of parts of the state, just not so much the cities.

In a way, New Mexico is a cooler (temp-wise), more moderate, more 'authentic' (not as commercialized), and less populated version of Arizona.

If it makes you feel any better, if Southern New Mexico was a state unto its own, it would be below Arizona on my list ;-)

ABQConvict
What's wrong with Southern New Mexico

That's my favorite part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.