Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Yes- there are jobs- service jobs. If you have a degree and significant experience, unless you work in a hospital or University- you may have some problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I can relate. It sounds like- in your case she is in her comfort zone- even if its not great- some people hate/are afraid of moving.

I was interested in MM's post about Manayunk- is the economy bad there now? If you are considering a move to Kentucky- you may want to check out the area first-it is isolating- nice country and all- but if you are having marriage issues- they will become MORE evident if you live in the suburbs. Its just my 2 cents, but we are going through something like "cabin fever"" (of course my marriage had some ""issues"") but all I am saying is if everyone is busy, in the city, etc., it makes a difference. Kentucky and Tennessee, while you can probably get a nice house, have other problem issues. Hope this helps.

sunny
All of Philly is having a problem getting & keeping jobs. The taxes here are outrageous. And the jobs it does have don't pay much. We're barely making it, which is putting a big strain on our marriage. When my husband was working at his first job which paid, we were getting along fine. But now he's at another job which isn't paying & they're threatening to close at the end of the year; we haven't exactly been getting along. I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't involve working with customers & I just don't have the patience for that anymore. I know marriage isn't perfect & there will always be issues. This is just a rough patch we're going through. But if there's a chance to make things better & easier for us, why not go for it? The isolation won't bother us. We're homebodies anyway. I like to garden & do crafts & he likes sports & video games. And it will be nice not to have neighbors right up our whazoos since our current ones are drug dealers. It's just that he's being so stubborn and I'm feeling frustrated. I'm starting to think it's all about what he wants & I have to always sacrifice what I want to keep him happy.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb It is just

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
All of Philly is having a problem getting & keeping jobs. The taxes here are outrageous. And the jobs it does have don't pay much. We're barely making it, which is putting a big strain on our marriage. When my husband was working at his first job which paid, we were getting along fine. But now he's at another job which isn't paying & they're threatening to close at the end of the year; we haven't exactly been getting along. I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't involve working with customers & I just don't have the patience for that anymore. I know marriage isn't perfect & there will always be issues. This is just a rough patch we're going through. But if there's a chance to make things better & easier for us, why not go for it? The isolation won't bother us. We're homebodies anyway. I like to garden & do crafts & he likes sports & video games. And it will be nice not to have neighbors right up our whazoos since our current ones are drug dealers. It's just that he's being so stubborn and I'm feeling frustrated. I'm starting to think it's all about what he wants & I have to always sacrifice what I want to keep him happy.
My opinion- but it sounds like moving is a good idea. Also- money problems are causing alot of the stress(we had that too) I can so relate.

It sounds like he is stressed about his job and where you are living with neighbors like that isnt helping. I would research diffrent areas. Yes- the economy stinks- Most small companies use the threat of closing to keep people in line- Its hard to wrok on a marriage when you are worried about paying the mortgage. There are many cheaper cities- and you could have a nice house in some states- what states are you looking at?

sunny

Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM

I was looking at Kentucky. I love horses & I wanted to get work in the same field. I've worked in flower shops so I was also thinking of maybe working in a greenhouse or a nursery. My husband has worked in warehouses & textile mills. Unfortunately no college degrees here so we can't fight for the few decent-paying jobs here in the city. But my hubby doesn't want to move that far. He wants to move closer to his family in the 'burbs but we can't afford a house there even after selling ours. And I don't want to move to an apt. I don't care for the neighbors we have now. Funny thing is that our current neighbors don't bother him at all.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Umm please check out Chester County -- the Main Line, Downingtown - Lancaster corridor, West Chester

housing stuff is expensive in the philly area but no worse than in Bucks County. The suburbs in the western burbs are older and much better laid out, more space, prettier, more jobs with big corporate office parks, more soul, more to do. I get depressed going up to Langhorne, Hatboro those kind of places. Property taxes are much less in Chester County.

I've lived in a place I didn't like now for 4 years -- northern Chicago burbs.
The winter is cold as hell, the burbs are in a grid pattern and depressing/ugly (well i have the fortune of living in a suburb that would be comparable to the Bryn Mawr or Haverford of Chicagoland so its a bit better.)
Cost of living, gas, groceries etc def exceeds that in Philly which sucks
I don't like having to drive 35 miles to get into Chicago, and being depressed all winter long. Its flat too which I dont like. I dont really like the people either -- its a hugely consumerist culture and just to afford a tiny house you would have to dish out 450-500k. Ridiculous. I hate this area lol.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Thank you wallstreet1986! My brother-in-law mentioned the Lancaster corridor also. And I've been hearing some buzz about West Chester. Maybe I'll have to check it out.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I have a general question about living arrangements-
Have you ever had to live in an area in which you just hated? If so how did you end up there,how long did you have to stay and how if at all were you finally able to get out?
When I was attenting college I was in a province I couldn't stand! I didn't have a choice so I had to suck it up and was able to leave once I was done my courses. It took a couple of years, but I was finally able to cut loose. Sometimes you really need to just suck it up for a while, all the while thinking you're gonna have a chance to leave once it's all done and over with. It was hard, but I pulled through smarter, brighter and with more common sense!

Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
stuckPa, i have and it is now, i too live in Philly and just am dying to get out. I love my job, but man is it a social, political, economic and crime nightmare. I do feel like a caged animal and have to drive out of state or out of the city every weekend to get some peace. Its not fun when the gas prices are so high but i grin and bear it.

where do you think you want to move to and why are you staying.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:23 AM

I have had no problem with jobs personally, as a professional. Decent jobs for college professors, non profit managers, law, medicine, insurance, pharmeucuticals.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 AM

StuckPa: I am working on 7 years here, having to stay for a couple of reasons dealing with my job, but God willing, i will be out in 2 years--and going home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.