Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

sparrows, doves, other birds, squirrels, turtles, opossums, frogs, ducks, skunks, prairie dogs, ground squirrels, burrowing owls, horned toads, jackrabbits, salamanders, lizards, garter snakes, Canadian geese in the winter. I've seen a deer running in the middle of the road about a mile away. There are coyotes and foxes on the edge of town. I live in Lubbock, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
When I went to college in Maine, I once smelled something pretty bad in the dorm. My friends from small town Massachusetts told me it's the smell of a skunk. Never smelled a skunk anywhere near where I live.

Wildlife isn't that common here on Long Island, at least where I live, which is like 10 miles outside the city. But I forgot to mention we have pigeons and seagulls flying everywhere.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Pigeons, squirrels, raccoons, and birds.

Where I lived on LI: same thing but also seagulls and possums.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I currently live in SW Florida by a lake on a golf course. I have seen ducks, tropical birds (egrets, blue heron, pelicans, etc.), lizards, snakes, frogs, turtles, opposums, iguanas (climbing the screens of my lanai), armadillos, and an alligator in the lake. At one of condos in the area a woman saw a black bear near her dumpster. That one made the local news. About 10 miles from where we live, we spotted a male panther sunnng himself off the side of one of the local roads. I am told that is very rare to see. BTW, I live about 25 miles from the Everglades.

When we lived on LI, we had ducks who liked to go swimming in our pool every year when we opened it for the summer. Yes, CHLORINE and all.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-12-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
I live in a condo neighborhood in NE Atlanta, and there is a greenbelt about 75 feet wide behind me that buffers us from the adjacent single family neighborhood.

I have more chipmunks and birds than anything, but also squirrels, lizards, a rare small snake, rabbits, an occasional opposum late at night and neighborhood cats. I love birds, and every imaginable kind hangs out in the greenbelt - including a resident red-crested woodpecker and a barn owl. I have a bird bath and a bubbler fountain, and the birds love both. Some cardinals will come within 4-5 feet of me, they have become almost tame from seeing me on the back porch all the time.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
tons and tons of birds, rabbits, possums, racoons, frogs, turtles, hawks and vultures, snakes, not at this house but at my old one were lizards and salamanders.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Dogs, deer, squirrels, raccoons, prairie dogs, weasels, foxes, occasional coyotes and even a bear or two. Hardly ever see stray cats around because several of the aforementioned would eat them in the first hour. But the larger stray dogs usually seem to be able to fend them off, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, and birds: ravens, jays, hummingbirds, falcons, hawks and (rarely) eagles... etc.

Last edited by treedonkey; 08-12-2009 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
In our new home in Maine, we look out the kitchen window to find a family of seven wild turkeys, a fox family, a bushy tailed grey squirrel, a skunk, deer, gardner snakes and a host of birds. At the home we just moved from in California, we were visited by skunks, hawks, owls, geckos, coyotes, rattlesnakes, black widow and tarantula spiders. I prefer our new home's guests!

Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
When I went to college in Maine, I once smelled something pretty bad in the dorm. My friends from small town Massachusetts told me it's the smell of a skunk. Never smelled a skunk anywhere near where I live.

Wildlife isn't that common here on Long Island, at least where I live, which is like 10 miles outside the city. But I forgot to mention we have pigeons and seagulls flying everywhere.
Yea, Pigeons are all year birds here, but seagulls are only here in winter... I don't know why that is, but it still confuses me every year.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Yea, Pigeons are all year birds here, but seagulls are only here in winter... I don't know why that is, but it still confuses me every year.

I asked around here, and people said that they're here year-round. I don't know why it would be any different just 30 miles away though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.