Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,397 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am looking around to move away from New Hampshire in the next year or so. I would like to relocate... but don't know where yet so I guess I am just browsing around for information and hopefuly you can help me find the perfect place!

I am a single woman of 34 and have lived in Nashua NH for over 3 years now. I can't get used to this weather... I am originally from the Azores in Portugal and so the snow, the crazy summer with rain and constant thunderstorms and wicked heat are just not for me.

I am a full time legal and medical interpreter, so I need to move to an area that has plenty of hospitals, courts and law firms. Because I work with the Portuguese language it would have to be an area with a somewhat significant amount of Portuguese or Brazilian immigrants.

Here is the thing, I want to move away from the snow and would like a nice weather year round (60s or 70s is perfection!), but not too hot either, some place close or by the ocean. I have not decided on any place in particular and I am open to sugestions. I have considered California or Florida.

I would like at least a two bedroom apartment in a concrete building, because I find it very hard to live in buildings made of wood and cardboard. My rent range is $1000 or less a month. In an area that has little crime, drugs or gangs. I am willing to travel because I am used to it in my line of work but I would prefer a place that doesn't usually have traffic jams. However I am a city girl at heart and I need to live in a city, with plenty of shops, restaurants, night life and things to do. Also important for me is that the city has open minded people who like to laugh, I am outspoken and spontaneous and have a great sense of humor but in New England people take offense to everything and having a conversation is like stepping on eggs (no offense)

I would also like information on local health care, taxes, community, etc.

Can anyone help me out with some sugestions?
I greatly appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CHARMD View Post
Hello all!

I am looking around to move away from New Hampshire in the next year or so. I would like to relocate... but don't know where yet so I guess I am just browsing around for information and hopefuly you can help me find the perfect place!

I am a single woman of 34 and have lived in Nashua NH for over 3 years now. I can't get used to this weather... I am originally from the Azores in Portugal and so the snow, the crazy summer with rain and constant thunderstorms and wicked heat are just not for me.

I am a full time legal and medical interpreter, so I need to move to an area that has plenty of hospitals, courts and law firms. Because I work with the Portuguese language it would have to be an area with a somewhat significant amount of Portuguese or Brazilian immigrants.

Here is the thing, I want to move away from the snow and would like a nice weather year round (60s or 70s is perfection!), but not too hot either, some place close or by the ocean. I have not decided on any place in particular and I am open to sugestions. I have considered California or Florida.

I would like at least a two bedroom apartment in a concrete building, because I find it very hard to live in buildings made of wood and cardboard. My rent range is $1000 or less a month. In an area that has little crime, drugs or gangs. I am willing to travel because I am used to it in my line of work but I would prefer a place that doesn't usually have traffic jams. However I am a city girl at heart and I need to live in a city, with plenty of shops, restaurants, night life and things to do. Also important for me is that the city has open minded people who like to laugh, I am outspoken and spontaneous and have a great sense of humor but in New England people take offense to everything and having a conversation is like stepping on eggs (no offense)

I would also like information on local health care, taxes, community, etc.

Can anyone help me out with some sugestions?
I greatly appreciate it!!!

It sounds like Deerfield Beach, Florida would be a good fit for you. It's in
the northeast section of Broward County which has one of the highest concentrations of Brazilians in the US.

Deerfield Beach is a nice suburb of Fort Lauderdale where you can find a lot of decent apartment complexes and condos for rent in your price range and size. Traffic isn't as bad as some areas of South Florida. In general the nicer areas of the city are to the west near the Florida Turnpike. You'd still be near the happenings of the beach and the Fort Lauderdale nightlife but in a safe, quiet area away from it as well.

There are some major hospitals nearby...

Bethesda Memorial Hospital in Boynton Beach
Our Locations

Boca Raton Community Hospital in nearby Boca Raton
Boca Raton Community Hospital: Home

Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale
Facilities & Services at Holy Cross Hospital

Imperial Point Hospital in Fort Lauderdale
About Imperial Point Medical Center - Imperial Point Medical Center - Broward Health

Broward General in Fort Lauderdale
About Broward General Medical Center - Broward General Medical Center - Broward Health

Hollywood Memorial in Hollywood
Hollywood Hospital

JFK Memorial in Lake Worth
http://www.jfkmc.com/CustomPage.asp?guidCustomContentID={FAC1D9D1-EDFF-4B94-B612-17246387C1BD}

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Your rent isn't enough for a 2 bedroom in the Los Angeles area or Bay Area for California (at least in a nice area w/out major crime problems), sorry. You could get an older studio apartment for $1000 per month in a decent area.

Sacramento or the Inland Empire might have something in your budget for CA.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM

93,379 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Virginia Beach Virginia, Wilmington NC and Charleston SC has decent sized communities of people of Portuguese descent. You might like some of these cities too: Portuguese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 AM

258 posts, read 667,258 times
Hi there... you won't find rentals for $1000 in San Francisco or the East Bay in CA. Those prices haven't been seen here in over 20 years, and then some. If you're okay with having roommates, you could make it work in SF or East Bay (or Los Angeles, if you want to live further south.)

There are a fair amount of hospitals in the SF/Bay Area, but not a large Portugese or Brazilian community. There *are* a lot of Latins here, but mostly from Mexico. Some Cubans and South Americans, but predominantly Mexican.

I would check out the referrals above for NC and SC. I've been to both, they are beautiful and people in the southern states tend to be a little more laid back.

Good luck with your search!!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,397 times
Thank you all so much for your input, it is very helpful.
I will keep looking around!
All the best!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:31 PM

24 posts, read 41,631 times
Default Fantasy!

Sounds like you want to live where we all want to live -- in fantasy land! I'm from Southern California, and if you don't mind living in a crime-ridden area, with smog, tons of traffic, etc., then you can probably find a "wood" (not concrete) 2-bedroom apt. for about $1,200/mo. If you want to live in a great area, low crime, by the beach, everything you need, look into Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, maybe Torrance -- but you'll pay around $2000/mo. And it'll take you at least 30 minutes to get to a highway, and then however much longer to get to where you're going through the insane traffic.

But, hey, if the weather is the most important thing for you, I guess you won't mind a few sacrifices, eh?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
If you want a low crime area, don't go to Florida.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
If you are looking for mostly 60's/70's year round you'd be better off looking at the west coast. California, but also Washington state has temperate weather. Florida becomes comfortable in the fall but spring + summer are awfully hot + usually very humid. $1000 or less on rent could be quite difficult living near the west coast though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.