Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
vwxyz, you say that you haven't seen White male / Black female couple in L.A. or New York, what about in your home country?
ABQConvict
I'm a black woman, in Manhattan, and date mostly white men. It's a common interracial mix. I've dated just a few Asian men as well. My god daughter has a black mother, Korean father. Still, I'd hazard a guess that the black woman/Asian man combo is less prevalent.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
they might be rare but i suspect very successful and low divorce.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
I'm a black woman, in Manhattan, and date mostly white men. It's a common interracial mix. I've dated just a few Asian men as well. My god daughter has a black mother, Korean father. Still, I'd hazard a guess that the black woman/Asian man combo is less prevalent.
I'm not all that sure that the white female/Asian male is all that common either...at least not compared to other combos.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
In life the only one I knew of was this woman who graduated with Honors from my college and was seriously involved with a Thai. She seemed to indicate she actually did get some hostility for this and was disappointed by that.

The most famous one I can think of is Bruce Lee. His widow, Linda Lee Cadwell, is apparently still alive. (Caldwell is from her current husband. She had an unsuccessful two-year marriage between Lee and Caldwell)

Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not all that sure that the white female/Asian male is all that common either...at least not compared to other combos.
While it does seem to be rare, I've actually seen that combo in my area.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think there may be something of a stigma attached to White male / Black female pairings due to the fact that the European blood in African Americans is largely a legacy of slave times when many enslaved black women gave birth to children of white men of the slave owner's family.

It does seem that a lot of the modern interracial couples after the civil rights movement were indeed skewed towards White male / Black female due to the fact that Black men were still heavily discriminated against and it could be dangerous for a black man to openly date a white woman even in the north.

In the post-modern era of Political Correctness, the balance has changed. A White man being with a Black woman could be perceived as harkening back to slavery, imperialism, or racist exoticism while a White woman with a Black man may be perceived as open-mindedness.

While I believe that couples should be based on love and race should not be a limiting factor in who dates or marries who (I myself have dated interracially), but there seems to be a concerted effort on the part of Hollywood and Madison Avenue to portray Black male / White female couples almost to the exclusion of the reverse pairing. This kind of social engineering is rather sad (and just a bit Orwellian).
vwxyz, you say that you haven't seen White male / Black female couple in L.A. or New York, what about in your home country?

ABQConvict
Actually, I feel the opposite. I say that because I view it as you have to think about who is usually making the decision as to putting such pairings/couples on TV. While the BM/WF couple is more common in terms of marriage and most likely in terms of dating, it seems like lately, I've seen mostly WM/BF in terms of being shown on TV.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyz View Post
so its true that the rare bf/wm couples that exist in Usa are always composed by foreign born white guys and never by american ones?
No, I've seen both American born White males and foreign born White males in relationships with Black females in my department and in my area.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldisnew View Post
This is more so a case of financial status than anything else... A lot of black men drop their black female partners when they become financially successful and go find themselves some big-chested blond. It's a fact. And some black women are often game when a white man shows interest if it just so happens that he is rich [and/or] famous. Doesn't Clint Eastwood's wife Dina have some black in her too? I can never figure out whether she is Brazilian, Indian, or mixed British, but something is African in that mix I just knew it when I first saw her from up-close. At any rate, in Los Angeles one can see all sorts of pairings including all races in the spectrum. There is a bit of everything in Tinseltown. I guarantee ya. Oh, and Halle Berry. Her hubbie sure is a cuttie. It will be more common to see a black female who has white in the mix pairing with a white male, that is also true. Now, from my travelings and observations I can also say that English men and German men are the most addicted to the dark-fleshed female with Afro-inclined features and natural aroma. Must be in the genes. They genuinely are mad about them! The natural scent of a person is just as important in pairings often times.
That is not necessarily true. That's why I posted the information I did. To give proof to the reality of this, in terms of Black men. In my area, it seems like you see Black men with White women with darker features(a lot of Italian and Irish-Americans in my area like this) and/or that are more voluptuous than the "stereotypical" White woman.

Also, it's not necessarily true about black women having White in their background being more prone to dating White men. If anything, it seems like the darkest Black women date White men, but that too would be generalizing.

Lastly, not only is it the men in England and Germany that like the "darker flesh", but the women might actually be more so, especially in Germany. For instance, if you are a Black American soldier in Germany, you don't even have to try hard to find a woman there. I've heard this during my time in the US Army and from Germans themselves. In Korea, it doesn't matter, as soldiers in general have luck meeting women there, regardless of race.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
There might be a bit of a slant, but they show some bf/wm couples in TV.

In that new show Hawthorne her dead husband is white and a guy she seems to be interested in is white. In Eureka Allison had some sexual tension with the white sheriff and her husband Nathan was white. In an alternate timeline she was married to Sheriff Carter. (Granted Salli Richardson, who plays Allison, is biracial. Interestingly, for this discussion, her mother is the one who is black with some Cherokee ancestry) The shows I'm thinking of so far are all cable, not sure what to make of that.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There might be a bit of a slant, but they show some bf/wm couples in TV.

In that new show Hawthorne her dead husband is white and a guy she seems to be interested in is white. In Eureka Allison had some sexual tension with the white sheriff and her husband Nathan was white. In an alternate timeline she was married to Sheriff Carter. (Granted Salli Richardson, who plays Allison, is biracial. Interestingly, for this discussion, her mother is the one who is black with some Cherokee ancestry) The shows I'm thinking of so far are all cable, not sure what to make of that.
There is always Tom and Helen Willis, the Jefferson's wacky neighbors in their "de-luxe apartment...in the sky-y-y".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.