Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM

92,372 posts, read 122,631,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
But as least for North Carolina, the factories are being replaced by research centers/labs and high-tech facilities. Don't feel too bad for NC. The Rust-Belt North (with a few exceptions) on the other hand....
Actually, the same is occurring up here too. Just look at Pittsburgh and to some degree in other cities that were in the same situation. Even Syracuse is getting into the Green technology and other parts of PA and Upstate NY are getting into the energy industry.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 AM

22 posts, read 77,562 times
I'm moving south and glad about it. I love the ATL and Jax Fl. Me I do music I produce beats. It's harder to make it in Cali doing the music now days. I'm ready to bounce to the A. I just think in the south you have a better chance to make it now at least the new south cities. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville FL. Nashville Tn. A lot of black professionals moving to those cities. My cuz just became a multi Millionaire recently in Atlanta. So seeing him come from nothing give me hope I can make it. And my other cuz there has his own business and my other cousin there is a music producer. I see hope in Los Angeles I see no hope here for me it's a waste of time to stay here you have to be rich to survive here you have to be loaded with money a sports star or a actor or successful business owner.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM

92,372 posts, read 122,631,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajjic View Post
I'm moving south and glad about it. I love the ATL and Jax Fl. Me I do music I produce beats. It's harder to make it in Cali doing the music now days. I'm ready to bounce to the A. I just think in the south you have a better chance to make it now at least the new south cities. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Jacksonville FL. Nashville Tn. A lot of black professionals moving to those cities. My cuz just became a multi Millionaire recently in Atlanta. So seeing him come from nothing give me hope I can make it. And my other cuz there has his own business and my other cousin there is a music producer. I see hope in Los Angeles I see no hope here for me it's a waste of time to stay here you have to be rich to survive here you have to be loaded with money a sports star or a actor or successful business owner.
No matter where you live, I feel that people in general and especially Black folks need to think about making money in terms of small business or investments like real estate. With the way the recession has hit certain groups more than others and the downfall of big companies, owning your own business seems to be a better way to go, anywhere.

Also, there are cities outside of the South that are still good for Black folks like Columbus OH, for example.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,000,838 times
Some posts above were deleted. National politics is an off topic subject in every City-Data forum except the two P&OC forums. In addition, a reminder from the TOS appears to be needed for the thread:

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,787,894 times
Me personally..born and bred in the South.....Can't stand it....(Fingers crossed) trying to relocate to Phoenix as soon as I find that proverbial thing called a JOB...more diversity/more culture/very scenic...To me..the South is very oppresive...maybe because i lived there my whole life......Also just dont want to say that I have lived in one place my whole life....

Old 06-10-2010, 11:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,806,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Me personally..born and bred in the South.....Can't stand it....(Fingers crossed) trying to relocate to Phoenix as soon as I find that proverbial thing called a JOB...more diversity/more culture/very scenic...To me..the South is very oppresive...maybe because i lived there my whole life......Also just dont want to say that I have lived in one place my whole life....
Sounds like you've lived in some small backwater Southern town. The South isn't a monolithic region by any means. I live in a major Southern metro area that many would consider progressive.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,342 times
Default Change but always the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Best guesses... lower housing prices, and compared to SoCal, the South is much more africanized.

I'd say it's safe to say that the blacks have or will successfully taken over the south. It is in what demographers refer to as "the black belt". So given that white flight is the only acceptable response to africanization, eventually it'll probably be entirely like Detroit. At least in the cities. Most major southern cities I can think of of the top of my head are already or are approaching majority black.

So long story short, more affordable, more people of the same ethnicity, growing every day.
JMadison is a classic Ignorant Racist. The south has historically always been heavily and in many places mostly populated by Black Americans or as you prefer (Africanized).

Your European slave owning forebearers made sure of that, though you most likely came from wht trash.

Crack a history book sometime and learn a few things about this country and the world you idiot.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,370,139 times
The South is many things, but Africanized?!?! Seriously?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:01 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,249,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the same is occurring up here too. Just look at Pittsburgh and to some degree in other cities that were in the same situation. Even Syracuse is getting into the Green technology and other parts of PA and Upstate NY are getting into the energy industry.
Pittsburgh is becoming a major center for the robotics industry. The question, how to get people to stay in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,249,253 times
The OP mentioned being from California. There is one thing I know about California: The cost of living is going up really high(at least in the Bay Area and LA metro). From what I know, that is part of what why there is a migration of African-Americans to places like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Oddly enough, I am trying to live in other places. I want to see more of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.