Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,794 times

Advertisements

I had two female friends who are black who left Atlanta to move to Phoenix for work and lasted about 2 years before moving back to Atlanta. They missed all the quality black men there and claimed that they are very outgoing. But you may want to consider becoming a little more forward in your approach. The behavior of men from Ghana is not desireable in the U.S. and would be rather offensive to most women here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,098 times
Maybe you should go back to Ghana.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,377 times
I want to thank all of you who responded and gave me tips on where to go. I also appreciate learning that the behaviour I am so used to is considered offensive here.

Different cultures I guess.

So if American men are not too forward when it comes to dates, how then do they ask a woman out? I hope this does not sound dumb ...I truly want to know. The only way I can tell a guy really likes me is when he is all up in my face telling me so or making appreciative noises. I cannot tell otherwise. What should I look for?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
It's not that men here won't approach a woman they find attractive, just that catcalls and other loud, blatant flirtation are often considered crude and rude in the U.S. If a guy is interested, he will most likely approach you and strike up a conversation. If the two of you seem to be hitting it off, he'll probably ask for your number or e-mail address, then call you asking for a date.

As several people here have pointed out, in the U.S. it's also quite acceptable for a woman to approach a man and strike up a conversation as a way to show initial attraction or interest. There seems to be some regional variation as to how often women will go so far as to make the first move in asking a guy out for a date. This seems to happen more often in the West, where the general attitudes about a lot of areas of life seem more casual than they are east of the Mississippi River, but I hear men from all regions of the U.S. say they would be thrilled to be asked out, and I have to agree that I wouldn't mind this at all myself. However, a woman might feel less awkward asking a man for a date in a region where social interaction is somewhat casual, so that it's more generally accepted for a woman to make this move.

If you're uncomfortable going as far as asking someone for a date, just show that intitial interest by striking up a conversation, then letting things take their course from there. If the guy is interested, he'll let you know by asking for your number, and then calling to make a date.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
I've never known a black woman from Africa. They were either born here or in Jamaica/Haiti.

Since you are from Ghana:

"According to the 2000 Census there are 86,918 Ghanaian Americans living in the United States. Cities with large populations include (in order of size): Atlanta; Chicago; Detroit; Washington, D.C.; The Bronx in New York City; Newark, New Jersey; Providence, Rhode Island; and Columbus, Ohio, among others."

Ghanaian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Five words:

Atlanta and New York City

You will be tired of the harassment and you'll be starting a thread about how to fend off unwanted come-ons of rude ass American men.

For the quality of men, I'd say Atlanta, but if you just want a good amount to choose from and looking for more agressive types, New York City is the place.

Other than in the US, just for the sake of discussion, Italian men are general more outspoken and tend to like Black women, and Mexican men (in Mexico) are more aggressive as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Five words:

Atlanta and New York City

You will be tired of the harassment and you'll be starting a thread about how to fend off unwanted come-ons of rude ass American men.

For the quality of men, I'd say Atlanta, but if you just want a good amount to choose from and looking for more agressive types, New York City is the place.

Other than in the US, just for the sake of discussion, Italian men are general more outspoken and tend to like Black women, and Mexican men (in Mexico) are more aggressive as well.
I agree with your post and I would add cities like Chicago, Philadelphia and Houston due to being very big cities with high percentages of Black folks and in turn Black males. A sleeper might be Minneapolis due to having a relatively high percentage of the Black community being Africans(both East and West Africans). Columbus might be good as well, due to having a Black community that is influential, highly educated, that lives throughout the area and respected.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-17-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
It is strange. When I was young and single, I did not shy away from such a pursuit. But I must admit I was rare. (Plus, although I look more or less white I'm mixed).

Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i dont know bout chasing them up and down the street but i know some happy couples here WM BF usually they are both professionals and got class. from a guy's perspective, my guess is low divorce rate is a big plus.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Yea it's hard to understand that you lived in Maryland and asked this question. Where you on the Eastern Shore or something? Guys in the DC/MD/VA immediate area are notorious for hawking black women and smothering them when out and about in all parts of town. I frequently hear my out of town female friends say "why are the guys out here so aggressive." Its a dog eat dog world around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.