Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 AM

59 posts, read 134,151 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I live in England and I am going to be a marine biologist. I am going University over here in England but after that I want to move to America because I love it! I'm into music and big cities. I will put up with any weather apart from extreme extreme heat. I have looked into many cities and I wold like to ask your opinions, out of these cites, on which city is for me....

New York -
Boston -
Chicago - love the city and love the aquarium!
Philly-
Tampa -
Atlanta - same reason as Chicago.
DC-
San Fran -
Houston -
San Deigo -
Seattle-

Most of these are close to the ocean so you would think marine biology oppourtunites would be there.

My current favourite is San Deigo because it looks beautifull and if i ever want to work more closely with Marine Mammal Seaworld is for me, however I know that San Deigo is expensive!!!

Your advice would be greatly appreciate thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
How can you forget Miami? I believe the U. of Miami actually has a good marine biology program too.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Boston is close to Woods Hole Oceanographic
San Diego has Seaworld and Scripps

Both are costly, but not unaffordable

Old 12-21-2009, 02:24 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,104,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
Hi all,
I live in England and I am going to be a marine biologist. I am going University over here in England but after that I want to move to America because I love it! I'm into music and big cities. I will put up with any weather apart from extreme extreme heat. I have looked into many cities and I wold like to ask your opinions, out of these cites, on which city is for me....

New York -
Boston -
Chicago - love the city and love the aquarium!
Philly-
Tampa -
Atlanta - same reason as Chicago.
DC-
San Fran -
Houston -
San Deigo -
Seattle-

Most of these are close to the ocean so you would think marine biology oppourtunites would be there.

My current favourite is San Deigo because it looks beautifull and if i ever want to work more closely with Marine Mammal Seaworld is for me, however I know that San Deigo is expensive!!!

Your advice would be greatly appreciate thankyou

Galveston (a suburb of Houston) has Texas A&M University @ Galveston which specializes in marine sciences. Relatively affordable and nice place to live, although hurricanes can happen there

Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
If you want to avoid extreme heat, stay away from Houston and Atlanta. Their summers get really hot.

It also depends on your budget too. There's a big difference in NYC and Philly as far as $$.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Thankyou for all the advice

I have ruled out the following - Atlanta,New York,San Fran and Tampa.

I am still looking at - Houston,Seattle,DC,Philly,Boston,Chicago and San Deigo

Please keep the advice coming and how exactly extreme is the Houston summer???

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
Please keep the advice coming and how exactly extreme is the Houston summer???
Climate of Houston - Wikipedia

Summers are definitely extreme, but the rest of the year is not.
We have lots of Brits in Houston, because of the industries here.
My street has two Scot families.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I think realistically you're going to have to go where the jobs are. There will be an additional hurdle if you don't currently have a visa to work in the United States. I don't know much about marine biology, but it seems like a pretty specialized field. Are their industry-specific job sites you could look at?

You might want to consider doing an internship in the United States before you finish school. That would allow you to make contacts as well as additional experience. Otherwise you're going to be competing for marine biology positions with all the students who attended local (wherever "local" ends up being) marine biology programs and who perhaps will already have part-time jobs, internships, or volunteer experience with the places doing the hiring.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you want to avoid extreme heat, stay away from Houston and Atlanta. Their summers get really hot.

It also depends on your budget too. There's a big difference in NYC and Philly as far as $$.
Not true at all.

There were MANY days last summer when Atlanta wasn't as hot as NYC.

People tend to forget that Atlanta is 1,000 feet above sea level, nestled in the foothills of the Mountains. It is much nicer here in the summer than many places in the South.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know more about Philedelphia marine biology wise and in general, it looks beautifull???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.