Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the friendliest southern state?
Alabama 3 4.55%
Arkansas 2 3.03%
Georgia 6 9.09%
Florida 3 4.55%
Mississippi 7 10.61%
South Carolina 7 10.61%
North Carolina 5 7.58%
Virginia 1 1.52%
Kentucky 2 3.03%
Louisiana 2 3.03%
Tennessee 13 19.70%
Oklahoma 4 6.06%
Texas 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times

Advertisements

The idea that "Southern Hospitality" is somehow different from the hospitality in any other place is indeed a myth, and it takes ignorant people (usually biased one way or another) to buy into it.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The idea that "Southern Hospitality" is somehow different from the hospitality in any other place is indeed a myth, and it takes ignorant people (usually biased one way or another) to buy into it.
Good Morning!!I hope you are having a wonderful day!!Well I just wanted to say you make sure you cuddle up in all that cold weather,would not want you to catch ya death with that flu.Bless ya heart,you sound grumpy.Go get you some grits,flap-jacks and a cup of coffee.After all that name calling you just did of calling people " ignorant" for their opinions or beliefs,why would anyone think otherwise?Must be a Jersey thing.Oh well you kindly have a better day now.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 12,442 times
I voted South Carolina, because I am from there.

What I really want to know is who voted for Florida? lol

Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Good Morning!!I hope you are having a wonderful day!!Well I just wanted to say you make sure you cuddle up in all that cold weather,would not want you to catch ya death with that flu.Bless ya heart,you sound grumpy.Go get you some grits,flap-jacks and a cup of coffee.After all that name calling you just did of calling people " ignorant" for their opinions or beliefs,why would anyone think otherwise?Must be a Jersey thing.Oh well you kindly have a better day now.
Bless his heart.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Bless his heart.
Yeah, God Love him

Old 02-16-2010, 11:23 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
The New Jersey mentality seeps in...

I'm sorry, but no one is going to convince me that New Jersey has generally the same amount of friendly people as say, Tennessee. I work and live here every day, and I can easily tell the difference between when I am here or in a friendlier state, particularly anywhere in the South. People in NJ won't give you the time of day...unless there's a profit in it for them.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Good Morning!!I hope you are having a wonderful day!!
Thank you! I am indeed having a wonderful day. It's snowing and it's very beautiful here with everything so covered in white!

Quote:
Well I just wanted to say you make sure you cuddle up in all that cold weather,would not want you to catch ya death with that flu.
What flu?? I don't have a flu. I stay healthy and tend not to get sick. Like later today I'll take a long walk in the snow, hike into the woods for a short while - it's the best weather in which to walk or hike.

Quote:
Bless ya heart,you sound grumpy.
Here's a good example of how "Southern Hospitality" is really a euphemism for "Southern Cowardly avoidance of confrontation". If a Southerner doesn't like you, he or she will not say "I don't like you" or "Get lost ya jerk" or anything direct. No, he or she will say "Bless ya heart". What that means is that they hate you but want to put on an act that they don't hate you because they fear confrontation (especially with Yankees, ever since we destroyed them in the Civil War). Then they call that "Southern Hospitality". It's just passive aggression, really, rooted in cowardice.

Quote:
Go get you some grits,flap-jacks and a cup of coffee.
Grits? That's garbage. I had the best breakfast in the world this morning - a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich with black pepper and ketchup, on a kaiser roll. Nothing beats it. And a cup of espresso (that's really good coffee, something you won't find at Waffle House).

Quote:
After all that name calling you just did of calling people " ignorant" for their opinions or beliefs,why would anyone think otherwise?Must be a Jersey thing.Oh well you kindly have a better day now.
What do you call people who are ignorant? What's your euphemism for that? What word do you use because you're afraid to say "ignorant" because you're afraid of confrontation?

Bless your heart, afonega!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Bless his heart.
Bless your lil'ole heart, LovinDecatur!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Grits? That's garbage. I had the best breakfast in the world this morning - a Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich with black pepper and ketchup, on a kaiser roll. Nothing beats it. And a cup of espresso (that's really good coffee, something you won't find at Waffle House).

That Taylor Ham must have been pretty bitter, as I can almost smell the bile from over 700 miles away.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
The New Jersey mentality seeps in...

I'm sorry, but no one is going to convince me that New Jersey has generally the same amount of friendly people as say, Tennessee. I work and live here every day, and I can easily tell the difference between when I am here or in a friendlier state, particularly anywhere in the South. People in NJ won't give you the time of day...unless there's a profit in it for them.
I agree, nobody will convince you. It's impossible to convince someone who has closed his or her mind and only believes generalizations about people.

BTW, a pickup truck w/ a plow was driving by my house this morning, saw me struggling with the heavy stuff at the end of the driveway, and helped me out by taking half a minute to lower his plow and push the heavy stuff aside for me. He had no sign or anything on his truck, and he's not from my neighborhood or I'd have recognized the truck. What was the profit for him??? There had to be one, right?

Maybe one day, when (well, IF) you have traveled the US as much as I have, you will know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.