Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the friendliest southern state?
Alabama 3 4.55%
Arkansas 2 3.03%
Georgia 6 9.09%
Florida 3 4.55%
Mississippi 7 10.61%
South Carolina 7 10.61%
North Carolina 5 7.58%
Virginia 1 1.52%
Kentucky 2 3.03%
Louisiana 2 3.03%
Tennessee 13 19.70%
Oklahoma 4 6.06%
Texas 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that in the greater sense, the south will treat me much better than the west ever has.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
In my experience southerners are friendly until the 'yankees' move in. Then it isn't pretty.
Your experience and mine are completely opposite.

I'm from Mississippi and my wife, who is from Ohio, and I live in Mississippi - we are friendly to each other most of the time .

Old 02-14-2010, 03:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
My experience has been as well that most Southerners are accepting and know how to treat a guest. Most Northerners (particularly Northeasterners) have an unjustified sense of entitlement and arrogance, and tend to look down on Southerners for whatever bizarre reason they feel like making up on the spot.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
asian + south don't go together all that well. certain combinations just don't go together.
I'm a white guy from Mississippi and one of my best friends is Korean. We met in high school and we were actually college roommates at a Mississippi university. He never had any racial issues in high school, college, or after. My brother-in-law is white, grew up in Ohio but is now in Mississippi, and his best friend is also Asian (not sure what country he's from). I know these are just instances, but it just goes to show that not every Asian is treated differently in the South based on their race.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Considering all the differences that Northerners and Southerners have, we all have a lot more similarities than we do differences.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
it's about "where" in the south or north or whatever. florida and alabama are next to eachother but they are very, very different. same with other places.

i already stated now how many times that tennessee and texas seemed very friendly southern states overall. i can't say that about all others but like anyplace it's time, place and things can change and waver depending on cultural change and demographics. people move around a lot these days.

as for northerners being arrogant. please..there is tons of arrogants southerners and thier own brand of it too.

the northern states with a majority white population, in my experience, was very different from southern. it was just more racist and unfriendly in the south in my experience overall. it's not just about being open or not. they were just not as hostile or unfriendly or even arrogant. i also found people in wisconsin to be very nice in comparison to the south. i thought maryland was a bit rough. it's unbelievable that people don't recognize there are southerners who are very arrogant. it's not as noticeable now as before because people are so mobile and there is more cultural exchange between states and now the world.

i don't believe that northerners are more arrogant because that's a stereotype that southerners tout a lot. i found it to be the opposite but again, what demographic you are and what your experience can be very different. it doesn't take but a peabrain to realize a white person walking into a ****** tonk bar vs an asian or black may get a different type of welcome subtle or overt.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times
Quote:
it's about "where" in the south or north or whatever. florida and alabama are next to eachother but they are very, very different. same with other places.

i already stated now how many times that tennessee and texas seemed very friendly southern states overall. i can't say that about all others but like anyplace it's time, place and things can change and waver depending on cultural change and demographics. people move around a lot these days.

as for northerners being arrogant. please..there is tons of arrogants southerners and thier own brand of it too.

the northern states with a majority white population, in my experience, was very different from southern. it was just more racist and unfriendly in the south in my experience overall. it's not just about being open or not. they were just not as hostile or unfriendly or even arrogant. i also found people in wisconsin to be very nice in comparison to the south. i thought maryland was a bit rough. it's unbelievable that people don't recognize there are southerners who are very arrogant. it's not as noticeable now as before because people are so mobile and there is more cultural exchange between states and now the world.

i don't believe that northerners are more arrogant because that's a stereotype that southerners tout a lot. i found it to be the opposite but again, what demographic you are and what your experience can be very different. it doesn't take but a peabrain to realize a white person walking into a ****** tonk bar vs an asian or black may get a different type of welcome subtle or overt.
Did you ever check to see if it was your attitude that caused these problems? Did you try to say "yes sir" or "no ma'am"? If you really apply yourself I doubt you'd have these problems, regardless of your background.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
As a life long Alabamian I can say that much of it just depends on the person. I'm not a very talkative person, so I guess you could say I'm somewhat "reserved". I say hello and thank you to the clerk at the check out, but I don't stand there and carry on a conversation like the stereotypical Southerner I read about on these forums. I haven't talked to my neighbors in over a year, but they're house is about 300ft away from mine so that's one reason why.

There are things I believe in though, like holding the door open for others, and not honking in traffic. Whether these are Southern traits or not I have no idea.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
it's about "where" in the south or north or whatever. florida and alabama are next to eachother but they are very, very different.
North Florida, South Alabama, and South Georgia are very much similar. I live on the the AL-FL state line, and trust me, when I cross that line nothing changes. You need to go south of Ocala to experience the Florida you see on TV.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
I voted for South Carolina,Tennessee would be second for me,then Louisianna.My home state of Georgia would be tied with North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.