Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 AM

66 posts, read 286,820 times

Advertisements

The reason the appalachians are full of backwoods people is because they settled here from europe100s and 100s of years ago before anyone (except for native american) knew there was a rocky mountains, anyway you colorado people would not understand, its an eastern thing , you have to understand the appalchians were the way the are now when mount elbert was merely a pebble , when the appalachians were standing at some 20,000ft there were no rocky mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico90 View Post
Saying that i now live in a "mountain state" (new mexico) and grew up in north carolina part of my heart is still in the great smokies , it was on a tourbus in spain with a women from colorado we were talking about skiing then i said "north carolina has some big slopes" then she paused and looked at me like i was some baboon and said "oh really well im pretty sure we can beat you" nothing hurtful...........just cocky. I have heard that some people dont even know that there aaremountains in nm. Ps north carolina has the highest elevation east of the rockies not tn
Actually, Harney Peak in South Dakota is higher than Mount Mitchell.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
The Smokies certainly don't offer the kind of skiing the Rockies do...nor are the winters nearly as . brutal. The summers on the other hand, are very hot and humid, whereas in the Rockies, humidity ihe s dry. You are closer to more major cities in the Smokies though. Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. Not nearly as much poverty and rednecks in the Rockies as in the Smokies.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
i meant east of the western us

Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM

even if the rockies dwarf the apps the andes dwarf the rockies, ive climbed them

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
Ha. The Great Smoky "Mountains". That's cute.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Really?

Actually, the prominence is not even close. Most of the flat prairie lands by your definition would be mountains, given their elevation.

They're not mountains, and Harney Peak isn't even worth mentioning. When the base is already over five thousand feet, you really have no point.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
People, most of the Smokies are in NORTH CAROLINA, not Tennessee. I'd say that North Carolina has about 65% of the Smokies, while Tennessee has about 35%.

Just because Dolly Parton popularized the Smokies and Tennessee in the minds of Americans through her Dollywood commercials doesn't mean that most of the Smokies are in Tennessee. By the way, Pigeon Forge, TN is not in the Smokies. You have to drive about 10 miles east to Gatlinburg before you truly start to get into the Smokies.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Really?

Actually, the prominence is not even close. Most of the flat prairie lands by your definition would be mountains, given their elevation.

They're not mountains, and Harney Peak isn't even worth mentioning. When the base is already over five thousand feet, you really have no point.
The elevation is over 7200 feet. Say what you want but it is higher than Mount Mitchell. I never claimed the Black Hills are mountains.

That's nice that you get to decide what's worth mentioning, though. Really. Stay classy.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico90 View Post
even if the rockies dwarf the apps the andes dwarf the rockies, ive climbed them
Start an Andes vs. the Rockies thread then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico90
The nicest people you will ever meet are in eastern tenessee/western north carolina
I met lots of nice people in Western North Carolina/the Great Smokies...but then there were also the self-entitled redneck neighbors who would constantly hunt dear illegally on my friend's property, who the local game wardens recommended NOT going straight to to work the problem out, as they might get a little...shall we say, "vindictive". Those people were not very nice. The game wardens were really nice though! The Appalachians have their ups, but they sure have their downs as well (poverty, and to someone from the west, the humidity can be a ***** as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.