Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
They should have left I-75 two lanes all the way through. That way you wouldn't have so many people wanting to move to Georgia. The way to keep transplants from taking over your state is first and formost - STOP MAKING THE ROADS SO WELCOMING TO THEM!

Now now, you know that this doesn't work with the nutty Atlanta drivers or even those just passing through Georgia and Atlanta.

There are areas of the city where the congestion is so bad people nearly freak out every day and pop Paxil like it's aspirin. Does that stop them from taking that route every day? No. We warn people in the forums about moving to those areas and what will happen. Do they listen? No. Then later they come back to complain about the traffic.

Atlantans are addicted to the automobile. They drive their cars to their mailboxes. They drive one block to the dry cleaners and wait 10 minutes to make a left hand turn against nonbreaking oncoming traffic, rather than walk 3 minutes to the place.

You could literally narrow every roadway in the city down to two lanes and you know what would happen? They'd drive on them anyway. They'd get up two hours earlier just to get on them. They've continue to move here anyway as well, to add to it. It's time to face the fact that Atlanta is a "carwhore" city, and will just get worse with each passing year. And those just passing through will still continue to pass through unless other interstates are built as alternate routes by the Feds and states. This is unlikely to happen since every spare dime is now in war funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Don't worry, there is no way I will be moving to the greater atlanta area. I turned down a job offer there about 5 years ago just because of the traffic problems then.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
Yea, Welcome to the Great Peach State, Georgia is so beautiful, why keep people from coming here, however soon the Atlanta Metro Area will strecth far south as Macon, and as far north as Chattanooga. LOL

Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
It's not that we're not building enough roads,
it's that we're making too many people.

That is the single, real cause of almost every ill we face nowdays.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
You want to know whats up with I-75 in Georgia?

Well, to the south of Georgia, you have 11 million people living in Florida, 80% of whom came from other areas of the country or from other countries. To the North, East and West of Georgia, you have "the rest of the country", and Canada that like vacationing in Florida, or live there 6 months out of the year. Not to mention all of the Trucks that need to go back and forth carrying oranges to New York, and Apples to Florida.

Then, you have two roads - I-75 and I-95, for a total of about 6 lanes in either direction to service over 11 million people. Not to mention, the New York of the south clogging it up like a big nasty piece of cholestoral gooping up a major artery. That's what's up with I-75.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
We went through Atlanta on our way to Florida last winter. Lots of congestion, but the other drivers were really pretty nice when we had to change lanes. I didn't think the congestion was that bad for the size of the city.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
It's not that we're not building enough roads,
it's that we're making too many people.

That is the single, real cause of almost every ill we face nowdays.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM

71 posts, read 706,302 times
Thumbs up Something Nice About Georgia

Hey, come on, Folks!
Are there nothing but gripes? Georgia has been declared to have the best roads in the Nation - by far! However - guess what? There are NO road fairies and elves who come in to do the work while we are all asleep in our beds - and presto! - when we awake, all the roads are brand new and perfect! It takes construction - construction takes time and makes a mess. So what? When it is finished and people zip through on smooth lanes, bet we don't get anyone singing praises about Georgia roads. I, for one, appreciate the roads and the people who work on them!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Just got back from summer vacation. We were sentenced to drive the entire length of 75 through GA. What a complete nightmare! Worst drive ever.
Nearly the entire thing is under construction.
1 lane through entire valdosta area. Metro Atlanta had no construction but that is a nightmare to drive through as most of you likely will know.
Hopefully I will never have to travel that road again very soon.
Yikes. WARNING: to anyone having to travel this road this summer, leave a buffer of about 2-3 hours extra to get through the entire state of GA.
What is UP with 75????
I Used to work in conjunction with the DOT on I-75 so i can give you a specific answer to what's up.
I-75 is being widened through Crisp, Turner, Cook, and Lowndes counties. The good news is when construction is completed you'll be able to relatively breeze through GA with no less than 6 lanes (both directions) at any point.
The bad news is that for now driving through the areas underconstruction can be a nightmare. As stated above Florida has experienced huge population growth (as well as GA), many people from points north drive to and from Fla via I-75, and there are more and more Georgians to use it.
Bottom line it's growth hasn't kept up with traffic increases and in construction you have to make a mess b4 u can make progress. Hopefully by your next drive it'll be finished. If not I'll let you in on a tip, use SR 41 south of Perry when ever necessary to by-pass backed up traffic. You'll save a ton of time.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
We understand how hard you guys work, but smethings you all do is just a waste of our tax dollars, why in the world is all of this construction going on at I-75, I-475 connector in Macon. Its horrible, I would say worst than before. I went out that way yesterday, and it looked like DOT had built a cement mixer, plant, or something. I could understand that but as I looked to my left, I saw a hill of dirt, about 200 feet high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia