Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 35,505 times

Advertisements

my husband is an HVAC tech here in PA and we're looking to move to GA - Covington seems like a good location from everything we've seen on the internet but we haven't been there in person yet - our move is still a few years out so we're just "scoping out" where we'd like to go but... we're thinking he'll be able to find a job in Atlanta and he'll just commute - is Covington a good area to live, is it easy to commute to Atlanta? We have friends moving to Augusta - how does Covington compare to Augusta... jobs, community, housing costs etc...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 PM

45 posts, read 209,896 times
I am also planning on moving to covington ga. A legacy community

just off of fairview where rockdale and newton county meets. it looks

very preety and green there the houses around the area looks well kept.

but iam having second opinions because the school system is not good in

that area. I try to get some info on this area but no one seems to know or

reply. I am going back up there from tampa to check out the area again.

It will take you 45 mins to downtown with traffic a hour. remember atlanta

has a lot of traffic

Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 35,505 times
thanks for commenting - let me know if you find anything

Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 27,471 times
I am also interested in moving to Covington because of the homes and the land. Compared the price of homes in Tampa, you get more bang for your buck in Covington. I am looking at moving after grad school which is in about 2 years. A concern of mine would also be the school system. My daughter will be entering school at that time and she is currently attending a Montessori. I am wondering if I would be able to continue this method of schooling in Covington

Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 AM

75 posts, read 324,608 times
Yes, you will be able to continue your childs Montessori education in Covington. There are several Montessori schools in the Covington area.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 37,247 times
Hi. I am about to buy a beautiful home in Covington, Georgia. I am a black middle aged woman and I do not know much about the area. I saw a post on this forum that said it was the home of the KKK. Can someone please let me know if this is true. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 27,471 times
Default I don't believe that

If you type racist cities under a google search, it will pull up towns like Americus and a few others in North Ga, but definitly not Covington. It seems to be evenly divided. The only downfall I have is that its not as culturally diverse as Florida. You're either white or you're black. We are a black family and of course those were a few of my concerns, but after all of my research, I look forward to moving there with my family.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 66,486 times
Cool Kkk????????

Not a chance. No KKK here that I have ever seen. There will be problems as long as there are humans, but racially? Covington is divided very equally.

As a second grade teacher, I have only encountered one or two students who were biased racially (white vs. black) and one biased in the other direction (black vs. white). The majority of principals and business leaders here are of color. Our students are very "color blind" making PTO programs with Black History kind of confusing for the kids who are not of color.... they just don't understand the reason for singling out black vs. white! They sincerely wonder why whites don't have a history month too. I really hate explaining it to them because for some, it is the first time they knew of the history!

Enough of that..... we have no secret societies- or at least, I have not been solicited to join one. Here, the folks of color drive nicer cars, have bigger houses, smarter children, higher education, and make higher salaries than do I.

As far as Montisori goes, we have a large school in Covington very close to the square/historic downtown. It is in a community called Clark's Grove. There once was yoga offered there so I have been in the building. My close friend has her children there and is very happy. The owner attended yoga also and when I opened a studio in Covington (yoga) she attended with us on and off when she was able to get away. A terrific program.

I am at the public school and we make AYP every year. The curriculum standards are strict and teachers are told they are accountable for every student. Teachers take their responsibilities very seriously.

If you still need specific information, let me know! My business is listed on here- Healing House Yoga- (I co-own the studio with a wonderful instructor and therefore have the opportunity to have a full time teaching job at the school also).

Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 66,486 times
Default On no racial diversity...

Also concerning the post about you are either black or white... I am indian and we have a HUUUUGGGEEE population of hispanic folks. Mixed races are becoming prevalent also....to the point that I am often concerned about asking racial questions on new students. No assumptions are safe. The lightest child may actually be of mixed race. We have many families who have adopted children of other races also, so it is better to just stay color blind. It truly makes no difference anyhow.

Florida is the most racially divided and racist place I have ever visited and this includes "podunk" Arkansas! There were actual rr tracks dividing the colors! The white students spewed racial slurs constantly. There were real cattle farms where there were actual cowboys there and they hated other races. Vice versa, I am sure. Diverse is not the word I would use for Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, Florida! Actually, when I lived on Lakeshore Circle NW in Port Charlotte- We DID have KKK trucks go by throwing out literature to all the whites. They waved like they were in a parade.

Never seen ANYTHING like that around here!

Florida had slums. Covington has no "poor sections" other than Porterdale and you can be very surprised to find out that the wealthy folks live in that area also!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

16 posts, read 70,009 times
I cannot believe the stereotyping that is going on. nancyddixion is right on. Atlanta is not much different than most places except the people are friendlier in the south. Not everybody but most. Covington is a good place to live and has all kinds of newer subdivisions going up and lots of new home inventories that are being discounted because of the slowdown in the housing market. If you are interested still message me back and I can give you specific subdivisions you can look at on the internet and check them out. Let me know if I can help you...Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia