Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 66,505 times

Advertisements

And I think I may know where that is coming from- the KKK used to own the land where Stone Mountain Park is situated. They gave over the land with an understanding that they could continue to explore their "beliefs" at the park. They now hold demonstrations in downtown Stone Mountain Village (near the park) having given up their ability to sue and fight to keep coming to the actual park site.

Again- not in Covington (KKK).

If anyone out there knows about this story (which I heard at scout camp last weekend from a history professor from this area), please add or subtract from this.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 39,095 times
Hi Nancy? I am suppose to re-locate to Covington within the next few weeks...my kids and I. I have neve been there and have absolutely no clue about anything. I am moving there because of an opportunity I have been afforded. I have childcare concerns, schools for my kids and myself. employemnt etc. I have been seeking employment online, no luck so far. as they are doing great here in California. Please help.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
how is the ymca in stone mountain ga

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
Even though those commentsabout kk are posted long time ago, I want to say that yes there is kkk in covington. I lived in covington all my life. My mother, father, grandparents and even i remember kkk rallies on the sqare in covington. they stopped doing it because they didnt want to show their faces. but they still hold meetings in covington, in secret. Just to let you know, covington is also heavy in satanic organizations. So if you think covington is a great place to live think again, even aside from all that, school system is terrible, too many houses and too little jobs. covington is terrible

Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM

268 posts, read 948,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesPar07 View Post
Even though those commentsabout kk are posted long time ago, I want to say that yes there is kkk in covington. I lived in covington all my life. My mother, father, grandparents and even i remember kkk rallies on the sqare in covington. they stopped doing it because they didnt want to show their faces. but they still hold meetings in covington, in secret. Just to let you know, covington is also heavy in satanic organizations. So if you think covington is a great place to live think again, even aside from all that, school system is terrible, too many houses and too little jobs. covington is terrible

I've lived in Covington all my life of 30 years, while they once held KKK rallies here they also held them in almost every other rural county in GA and just as they are held in secret here (as you say) they are held in secret in most other places as well (as you say) and as far as the satanic thing you seem way out in left field most of us here are christian as far as I know, and the demographics have changed for the KKK to even want to meet here anymore with about 35-40% of the county being minority and transplants and if I remember correctly they had the last meeting in the late 80's or early 90's talking about keeping up on current events which you should do instead of bashing our hometown, if it's that bad why are you still here and if you remember the KKK rallies you are grown and can leave whenever, you should really read the local newspaper if you really do live in Covington and see how it's changed since then and the school system is average not terrible and our population went from 62,000 in the year 2000 to an estimated 101,000 in 2009 so obviously the new 39,000 people that moved here in the last 9 years think otherwise or else they wouldn't have moved here or they would have moved from here.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,849 times
Yes try the Covington Montessori school. It is a fabulous school!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
COVINGTON, GA. Relocating? Not a wise move.
Covington and Newton County have their own little country here. Very oppressive and controlled. Including the court system. Anything the County wants no matter how silly or overpriced it may be or how many citizens oppose it, the government always prevails in the local courts.
Many attorneys around the state will not come here for trials. They also say it is run like "Their own little country."
The town is controlled by less than a half dozen inside type people. The commission and the council may think they run things but they really dont. Any whims by these people and it happens, usually at taxpayer expense.
The Sheriff's department is the bright star in Covington. A good sheriff and staff. But for example there is a new county administration building where all citizens have to go to do business with the county and there is not one (legally defined by federal laws) handicapped parking space!
Many complaints have gotten the disabled no relief. The city planner wants to further limit the street (he added the extra lane so there is no handicapped parking) so you cannot turn into businesses because of his desire for a totally unnecessary 'median' that will look cool.
Its a mess here overall and I wouldnt move here again if it was the last place on the planet.
Same person also added a round-a-bout to his part time employer's subdivision Clark Groves and it is probably going to be accident central. Again, many opposed it but he who has the gold rules in Covington.
Take my word, move on down the road a little further for some peace and quiet. Covington has overbuilt because the county has been controlled by the developers for the last 15 or so years. Traffic is not something you expect in a small town. This one is way past gone and will never be what it once was for those of us who moved here because of its, long gone, southern charm.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
Quote:
COVINGTON, GA. Relocating? Not a wise move. ... Covington has overbuilt because the county has been controlled by the developers for the last 15 or so years. ... Traffic is not something you expect in a small town. ...
Most of what you describe, 404local, is similar in many areas in metro Atlanta. I personally know more about Henry, Fayette and Clayton counties than I do Newton, but what you describe sounds somewhat similar all over the fast growing suburbs and exurbs of metro Atlanta. I haven't been involved in politics as a volunteer in a long time, but at least you know what is going on locally. The old guard is reluctant to quick changes almost anywhere, I have lived in may places and know it is not limited to the Covington area by any stretch. It is very discouraging to know sometimes "good-old-boy"-run local governments and often not well even after massive changes in population and demographics over time.

Many do not even know as much as you mention here as people stay very busy in their lives but many should be more aware about their local governments and keep them in check. I am sure you know this, but it is so true, when you "fight" City Hall for better service, things can turn against you.

But getting back to info on Covington, I think it is a nice middle class area with some great newer subdivisions. I believe the public schools are considered average for the state. If my work were close to the area, I might consider moving there, just my opinion but it is an outsider's view.

Last edited by SW30303; 11-11-2010 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 12:27 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
If and when you do decide to move to Georgia, and your husband needs a job, my husband owns a HVACR business down here in Perry GA and we are always looking for good people: www.pikespeakperformance.net. Perry is a nice place to live as well.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
My family has just Moved from California to Covington I have to Kids that go to Newton High and they love it the school system is as good as your child makes it! We have started a ministry in Conyers after being here for six weeks the church is almost full. Please visit when you move to this area web Welcome to Abba Rain Ministries. We have found the community to be very quiet and peaceful. Best of luck:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia