Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times

Advertisements

Looks like we just lost another possible resident because of inadequate airport facilities.

mchabot, good luck to you in charlotte and may you never get stuck having to switch planes in ATL either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 9,441 times
Well its a company decision so it's really out of my hands. Most likely I will still be coming there. Thanks for all your info though.

Is ATL really that bad? I just cant imagine it being much worse than CHI or DFW.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchabot View Post
Well its a company decision so it's really out of my hands. Most likely I will still be coming there. Thanks for all your info though.

Is ATL really that bad? I just cant imagine it being much worse than CHI or DFW.
I like the ATL airport. Seems well laid out given the huge number of plans that use the place.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
My hubs flies out of Atlanta a lot. We live near Athens and there is a shuttle service that takes him to and from the airport with no worries about parking or finding the correct terminal etc. They make 18 trips a day and it is a very painless experience. He allows approx. 90 mins for the trip and he can sleep or read or whatever. He flies all over the world and has very strong opinions regarding various airports. He does not mind ATL at all and says it is very well laid out.

In other words, you do not need to live in ATL to have good access to the airport.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
My hubs flies out of Atlanta a lot. We live near Athens and there is a shuttle service that takes him to and from the airport with no worries about parking or finding the correct terminal etc. They make 18 trips a day and it is a very painless experience. He allows approx. 90 mins for the trip and he can sleep or read or whatever. He flies all over the world and has very strong opinions regarding various airports. He does not mind ATL at all and says it is very well laid out.

In other words, you do not need to live in ATL to have good access to the airport.
I am going to disagree. 90 minutes to the airport from Athes is quite feasible if you do not EVER drive during rush hour.

In traffic, that 90 minutes can easily become 120-150 minutes.

If you are looking for something rural then you'll basically have to be at least an hour away from the airport. Having enough money to spend could put you in an area with a more rural feel, but Atlanta has good bit of sprawl, so settling for a suburb will give you far more options.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,297 times
Please don't think negatively about the west side of Atlanta. We have lived in Douglas County (Douglasville and Lithia Springs), on and off, for over 40 years and find it to be quite nice and central to where we like to hang out; 20 to 30 mins. to downtown, midtown, Buckhead and Hartsfield International Airport, 1 to 2 hours to some beautiful spots in the north Georgia mountains (parks, quaint towns, wilderness areas), 3.5 hours to the Nantahala River in NC (camping, canoeing, mountain biking, hiking, etc.), 5 hours to the Gulf of Mexico (Panama City Beach), 4.5 to 5.5 hours to the Atlantic Ocean (Savannah, GA and St. Augustine, FL respectively),

We also love the outdoors and live in a small community (21 homes) just west of Atlanta. Douglasville is considered a suburb of Atlanta and is a major stopover, or final destination, for travelers on their way to or from Atlanta. Some people prefer not to stay downtown and Douglasville is the perfect choice.

We also love food and there are many good places to eat and drink. We have international restaurants which feature sushi, Thai, Cajun, Mexican, etc., and many, many more within a short drive such as Dim Sum, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Indian, French, you name it, it's here.

I don't know where you're moving from, and in case you've never been down south before, let me assure you that "Southern Hospitality" is a very real way of life. So welcome!

Christine

Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Atlanta would probably be my last choice in the country if you need to fly frequently. The areas near the airport are not the greatest and the airport itself is not fun.
I'm not a frequent flier but I've never had too much trouble with the ATL airport. I always do online checkin and so I can go straight through security which usually moves along pretty fast.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM

87 posts, read 195,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Atlanta would probably be my last choice in the country if you need to fly frequently. The areas near the airport are not the greatest and the airport itself is not fun.

Meh.

There's a reason for that.
LMAO you can't be serious. As someone who travels weekly for business, Atlanta is one of the best places in the country for business travelers on the sheer number of non stop flights. Florida is not great for business travel and you normally have to connect in Atlanta or other hubs in most cases and you get home much later due to location and connecting flights. I have lived in Florida and traveled on business and know this for a fact. My work/life balance for business travel has increased greatly since moving to Atlanta over 2 years ago.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 4,297 times
Like, atltechdude, we've never had a problem with getting in and out of Hartsfield either. Not with the drive there and back or the check-in process, domestic or internationally.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcontroller View Post
LMAO you can't be serious. As someone who travels weekly for business, Atlanta is one of the best places in the country for business travelers on the sheer number of non stop flights. Florida is not great for business travel and you normally have to connect in Atlanta or other hubs in most cases and you get home much later due to location and connecting flights. I have lived in Florida and traveled on business and know this for a fact. My work/life balance for business travel has increased greatly since moving to Atlanta over 2 years ago.
Exactly. My hubs flies non stop to Frankfurt every couple of weeks. It is a dream compared to what he had to do before we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia