Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

There is a LOT of misinformation above about copperhead snakes not staying in "built-up" areas. I live in the middle of Atlanta (inside the Perimeter in Brookhaven). Our neighborhood is chock full of copperheads, as are most neighborhoods in Atlanta. Just last week, a neighbor was bitten by a copperhead and spent three days in the hospital as a result. Now that was his fault, as he stepped into ivy in his yard in sandals. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Ivy and monkey grass are prime locations for the chipmunks and other small creatures these snakes feed on, and therefore, for the snakes themselves. Never step into such ground cover unless you are wearing snake boots.

My 110 pound chocolate lab was bitten by a copperhead the first day we moved into our house five years ago. Our Springer Spaniel killed two copperheads in our yard. I shot a large one, and killed two small ones with a shovel. With four large labradors in our backyard now, peeing and pooping everywhere, I no longer see any there. I would see them if there were any, as I walk the entire back yard daily to clean up the poop. The front yard, full of ivy, I continue to regard as snake infested.

Neighbors have found copperheads: 1) in a sack of potting soil after he carried it from back yard to front yard; 2) near their air conditioner compressor, only twenty feet from kids play area; 3) sunning on grass, sidewalks or driveways.

Everyone who has reported seeing a copperhead has killed it (generally 6-10 reports/year). I know from first hand experience that vet bills for snake bites exceed $1000. Hospital bills for humans would no doubt be much more expensive.

Those who say leave the snakes alone are NUTS! The only good copperhead in my yard is a dead one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm4 View Post
There is a LOT of misinformation above about copperhead snakes not staying in "built-up" areas. I live in the middle of Atlanta (inside the Perimeter in Brookhaven). Our neighborhood is chock full of copperheads, as are most neighborhoods in Atlanta. Just last week, a neighbor was bitten by a copperhead and spent three days in the hospital as a result. Now that was his fault, as he stepped into ivy in his yard in sandals. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Ivy and monkey grass are prime locations for the chipmunks and other small creatures these snakes feed on, and therefore, for the snakes themselves. Never step into such ground cover unless you are wearing snake boots.

My 110 pound chocolate lab was bitten by a copperhead the first day we moved into our house five years ago. Our Springer Spaniel killed two copperheads in our yard. I shot a large one, and killed two small ones with a shovel. With four large labradors in our backyard now, peeing and pooping everywhere, I no longer see any there. I would see them if there were any, as I walk the entire back yard daily to clean up the poop. The front yard, full of ivy, I continue to regard as snake infested.

Neighbors have found copperheads: 1) in a sack of potting soil after he carried it from back yard to front yard; 2) near their air conditioner compressor, only twenty feet from kids play area; 3) sunning on grass, sidewalks or driveways.

Everyone who has reported seeing a copperhead has killed it (generally 6-10 reports/year). I know from first hand experience that vet bills for snake bites exceed $1000. Hospital bills for humans would no doubt be much more expensive.

Those who say leave the snakes alone are NUTS! The only good copperhead in my yard is a dead one.
Do you live near or within walking distance to water?
Are there open woods with hollow tree trunks in your yard?
If so, these are one of the main reasons you have coppers.

Also keep in mind that Coppers are spring snakes like in springy.
If a copper is 3 foot long then he can jump and strike almost three feet high, unlike Rattlers and Moc's that are ankle/calf biters.

Dogs will also go towards them for one reason, they unlike other snakes stink.
Next time you kill one, pick it up and take a nice smell. Will remind you of old super ripe melon. A dog's sniffer will pick that up a mile away. The dryer they are the more they stink, thus the water question earlier. Coppers like watery, damp, locations.

I also think earlier posts were referring to black snakes, not coppers when leaving them be. Black snakes will not only kill mice, rats, etc., but they will win every battle with a copper. They are immune to the copperhead venom. Nothing like a good black snake to keep the rodents at bay.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
One reason suburban areas might have "more" copperheads is that unknowing homeowners kill every snake they see. I live in the city, but bordered by woods and have king snakes in my yard. The king snakes that most folks kill EAT other snakes including the copperheads and rattlesnakes. I also don't use bird feeders as these attract rodents which attract snakes.

Just a thought.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I caught the King snake I had in the yard and took him to the other end where we had found a couple of baby Copperheads to see if he'd pick up the scent and go for any more of them that might be there. But a couple of days later the King was back where I originally found him so I guess he's got a hole/home there... or there were no more baby Copperheads to eat. As we've all said I'll say again and again though - leave the Kings alone - they're good snakes. Funny thing is, my dog completely ignores the King. She found him once and did a "dance" around him like a nut, I guess thinking he'd play with her (she's not quite right). He just slivered through the fence and ignored her. I keep the grass cut short hoping she doesn't find any Copperheads though. I don't need a $$$$ vet bill.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Do you live near or within walking distance to water?
Are there open woods with hollow tree trunks in your yard?
If so, these are one of the main reasons you have coppers.
Many north Atlanta neighborhoods fit that description, so there's nothing unique about my neighborhood. Of course that is why they reside here - favorable habitat (woods, water, rocks) and food (chipmunks, squirrels, small lizards, etc.). Other wildlife spotted in this and many nearby neighborhoods include: owls, hawks, deer, raccoons, possum, foxes, coyotes and a black bear cub (actually spotted and captured beside I-285, two miles from here)). The point being that earlier posters said that copperheads do not live in "built-up" (i.e., developed) areas. That's just plain wrong. If the developed area retains characteristics favorable for copperheads', or any other animals', habitation, then habitate they will.

Never seen any other snakes in this yard besides copperheads.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,324 times
I'm over here in Kennesaw, in an apt complex, and one of my neighbors told me she'd killed a rattler that came after her at about 10pm last night.

Naturally, I didn't believe her, because most people can't tell a snake from a worm. Well, at about 1am I took my dog out to the woods, and for some reason we both stop and look down, and there is a 24' Timber Rattler staring straight at us. Fortunately, the snake made a hasty retreat to the woods. It was odd to me that it didn't start rattling until it reached the treeline. I'm guessing we caught it more off guard than it did us.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
To add more proof that snakes aren't immune to built up areas: My brother got bit by a copperhead on the campus of Georgia Tech when he was a student there. As a typical Tech geek, very bright in some areas but lacking common sense at times. Found the copperhead coiled near the rear tire on his car and decided to "shoo" it out by poking at it with his foot. Got a bit on his ankle and spent the night in Piedmont Hospital.

In suburban areas, you will see more snakes if new subdivisions are being carved out of previously undisturbed countryside. As their habitat is being disrupted, snakes will be on the move to find new digs.

I have come across several copperheads on runs on the trails at Kennesaw Mountain and the Chattahoochee River Parks. I agree with others, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. I was running once at Kennesaw Battlefield Park on the wide trail that runs from Burnt Hickory Road to Dallas Hwy, had a lady running toward me and when she was about ten yards in front of me saw her leap straight into the air in mid stride. Defied laws of gravity. She was right on top of a copperhead. The snake never flinched, I found some small rocks and tossed them at it and watched it slither off the woods into the trail.

At the same time, I don't really like snakes, but I respect them. Have always heard to let the king snakes alone as they are good helpers, but if any snake is right at my house, that reasoning goes out the door and I slip into the "only good snake is a dead one" mode.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
I just moved to Henry county and we are have seen a few snakes but I wanna know it there are deadly snakes in the area anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia