Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times

Advertisements

OK all you proud folks in GA, what is the prettiest place in GA to live???

PICTURES - If ya got em, share em!!!!

The place with the most votes gets all the gnats they can carry!!!! Hurry, this offer is limited! NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I think Dahlonega in North Georgia is one of the nicest towns in terms of looks and feel. Kind of small if you were to live there full time, but it has a strong economy due to the number of tourists, and you're not real far from shopping areas and outlet malls, etc. Only about 1.5 hours North of Atlanta.

Here's a link to my Flickr album - some of the pics are of Helen (cheesy but touristy), but the first few are of Dahlonega. Unfortunately, I took the pics on a cold, cloudy Winter day, but it gives an idea of the look: North Georgia Mountain Towns - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlantagreg/sets/72157603527241335/ - broken link)

Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,683 times
Dahlonega certainly ranks up there as well as many of the small towns in North GA, but .. Madison is also very nice.
The Historic district of Savannah is truly beautiful and charming.. there is a reason why it has been featured in so many movies and TV programs and is a top tourist destination.
I think Athens has one of the nicest downtowns of any city in Georgia.. it has lots of culture and a great sense of community.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM

101 posts, read 344,588 times
I second Athens....I love it. I miss it.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Great pics, atlantagreg!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM

102 posts, read 504,022 times
Check out the pics from JKMEWRIGHT on this forum under the thread "Chickamauga".....she took some really great pics!! And AtlantaGreg....yours are great too. I looked at them last week! Helen looks cute as a button. I have to see that place.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

She really does take good pics doesn't she?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
katsmeeyow and luvsthebeach, thanks for the comments.

Helen is indeed "cute" but keep in mind it's not really "authentic" when it comes to a Bovarian/German town. In the 60s it was a typical tiny rundown southern town, and they decided to do that remodeling bit and it started to draw tourists. Over the years it has sort of run down some. When I moved to GA in the 80s, a lot of the shop owners there would actually dress up in Bovarian outfits and all that - most if not all of them don't bother with that now, and many of the items you'll find in the shops have the "made in...elsewhere" stamp on them.

Still, it's ok for an afternoon visit (I probably wouldn't live there, though). Dahlonega I could live in, provided I wanted a much more laid back lifestyle.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM

102 posts, read 504,022 times
Guess which town I am going to say is prettiest? :-) Yes, I do love the Chickamauga area. I really need to buy a digital camera so I can then post some pretty pics from the area. Yes, I do still live in the dark ages. Dial up (ugh), camera with film (like it but not digital)....Sure hope I can get some road runner service AND a digital camera once we get down there. I really will be in Heaven. :-) Atlantagreg...thanks for the info on Helen. I have been interested in going tubing down the river there. Hopefully the water situation is improving all over GA with these last few storms that came in. Anyway, I bet that town was something when they dressed up. Still do want to go. Looks like a place to have some fun with the hubby and daughters. Have a great night (or day depending on when you're reading). If you have more pics, please post them. Love looking at them.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
Speaking as a visitor to your state--have been to a few cities there--Savannah and Madison were lovely. Helen is nice too--The GA mountain are lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia