Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM

298 posts, read 303,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Agree when I'm in Big Canoe and take Yellow Creek Road to Cummings is sad to see the clear cutting that is happening to build new homes. I know it would be more expensive to build around trees but is sad to see the area losing the nature around it that made it attractive in first place.

We noticed that too driving up. We can't afford a McMansion and just want a small home near nice neighbors. I noticed from previous posts in different forums that log cabins are high maintenance. Per some of the posts on those forums the folks talked about having to stain them every few yrs and the maintenance involved with that and then also wood bees might be a problem? Wasn't sure if anyone on this forum had heard or experienced that? We sure liked the area but we are small town folks we don't like the city and we have relatives in neighboring state so was looking forward to being closer to visit. I think all the mountain towns we visited Jasper, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawassee, Young Harris, Helen were really all very nice and everyone was really friendly to us. But you really need to visit any potential properties in person. When you window shop online it isn't the same. Some of the properties we saw in person were high up on ridges, had steep lots or weren't in as good a condition as they appeared online. It seems like some property owners were asking kind of steep prices for some of the homes and the conditions they were in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundratess View Post
I am glad this thread popped back up, we're still interested in the area and I'm still gleaning information from your posts. We had planned to come to GA in May but our poor dog ran up $5000 in vet bills and then died. We delayed our tour of the area till September.

I have been watching the real estate market in several of the small towns for about a year now. The homes that I have seen languishing on the market are either older and haven't been updated or vacation cabins not really suited for full time living. The nice family homes that are in good shape but are still affordable are absolutely selling. There seem to be a lot of people moving to the area, mostly retirees. I keep reading about how small towns in the US are dying but that doesn't seem to be the case in northern GA, the area seems to be growing faster than the residents appreciate.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. We just experienced that about a month ago. Our dear sweet little one passed away at home unexpectedly but she was getting up there in age. It is so heartbreaking as they bring so much joy in our lives.

September should be a nice time of yr to visit. We visited in May and the weather was really nice and sunny while we were there.

Last edited by ClassicCarFamily; 07-03-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Agree when I'm in Big Canoe and take Yellow Creek Road to Cummings is sad to see the clear cutting that is happening to build new homes. I know it would be more expensive to build around trees but is sad to see the area losing the nature around it that made it attractive in first place.
Do you happen to know what the association fee is in Big Canoe? It looks like a beautiful gated community and I heard they have their own emergency personnel for the residents available if needed. The homes are really nice in the association and it looks like many amenities for the homeowners to enjoy.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:47 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Do you happen to know what the association fee is in Big Canoe? It looks like a beautiful gated community and I heard they have their own emergency personnel for the residents available if needed. The homes are really nice in the association and it looks like many amenities for the homeowners to enjoy.
There is a yearly fee of 2950 that maintains, gates,roads, 24 HR Emergency Medical unit, fire stations and clubhouse. All amenities you must sign up for on a single basis.

I love the place because they maintain the natural beauty of the area. There are rules against cutting down trees, adding fences and all electrical wires are underground.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:05 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
I noticed from previous posts in different forums that log cabins are high maintenance. Per some of the posts on those forums the folks talked about having to stain them every few yrs and the maintenance involved with that and then also wood bees might be a problem? Wasn't sure if anyone on this forum had heard or experienced that?
I know I've discussed the wood home maintenance before. We do not have a true log cabin. We looked at them but decided we didn't want the expense. Re-chinking isn't cheap. We instead have a frame home with cedar. And it too is maintenance heavy, although not quite as expensive as a true log. Every year we have to do some staining on the deck and porches. (Over 800 porch spindles to be exact.. I counted since I have to do them so often...LOL). The house itself requires a power wash every spring due to mold, but a good quality stain brushed on (2 coats) means we only need to stain the house about every six to 7 years. Critters can be a problem, so yes we look for boring bee's especially in the spring, and the squirrels like to chew holes in the soffits sometimes and try to get in. And lately, we are having bird problems. A large red-headed woodpecker has decided the side of the house is his favorite target, and small redbirds are dive-bombing our decks for some reason this year. This is a new problem we've never seen before. The problem this year that I'm trying to tackle is different and hope I find a solution soon. The stone on the front is now orange. We've had so much rain that all the red georgia clay has splashed up on the stone and discolored it. I'm trying to find something that will clean it that will return the color to the stone (manufactured).

Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 67,038 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. We just experienced that about a month ago. Our dear sweet little one passed away at home unexpectedly but she was getting up there in age. It is so heartbreaking as they bring so much joy in our lives.

September should be a nice time of yr to visit. We visited in May and the weather was really nice and sunny while we were there.

Thank you so much for the condolences, I am sorry for your loss as well. My poor little dog was also quite old. We miss her terribly but it will certainly be easier to move and possibly rent with just two dogs.

I'm glad to hear September is a good time, although it may end up being October before we lay eyes on the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm disappointed we couldn't come sooner. I really wanted to experience the worst of the pollen and the worst of the heat/humidity. I also wanted to visit Blue Ridge at the height of the tourism season to see just how crowded it gets. I would hate to fall in love with the area and not be getting the full picture.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I know I've discussed the wood home maintenance before. We do not have a true log cabin. We looked at them but decided we didn't want the expense. Re-chinking isn't cheap. We instead have a frame home with cedar. And it too is maintenance heavy, although not quite as expensive as a true log. Every year we have to do some staining on the deck and porches. (Over 800 porch spindles to be exact.. I counted since I have to do them so often...LOL). The house itself requires a power wash every spring due to mold, but a good quality stain brushed on (2 coats) means we only need to stain the house about every six to 7 years. Critters can be a problem, so yes we look for boring bee's especially in the spring, and the squirrels like to chew holes in the soffits sometimes and try to get in. And lately, we are having bird problems. A large red-headed woodpecker has decided the side of the house is his favorite target, and small redbirds are dive-bombing our decks for some reason this year. This is a new problem we've never seen before. The problem this year that I'm trying to tackle is different and hope I find a solution soon. The stone on the front is now orange. We've had so much rain that all the red georgia clay has splashed up on the stone and discolored it. I'm trying to find something that will clean it that will return the color to the stone (manufactured).
We have these exact same problems. The carpenter bees lay larvae in the holes they bore and the darn huge wood peckers try to dig them out. It's very annoying and expensively damaging!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Thanks for all the info. What a great forum for all the helpful information for everyone. I hope that you can keep us informed of your trip in October Tundratess. Have a safe trip and I look forward to how you like the area and if you find a place for you and your family. Thanks again to everyone on the forum for all your experiences and advice. I hope we can all stay in touch and keep the forum going. Take care everyone and God Bless.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 67,038 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. What a great forum for all the helpful information for everyone. I hope that you can keep us informed of your trip in October Tundratess. Have a safe trip and I look forward to how you like the area and if you find a place for you and your family. Thanks again to everyone on the forum for all your experiences and advice. I hope we can all stay in touch and keep the forum going. Take care everyone and God Bless.
Oh I am loving the forums, so glad I found them. I think you're all stuck with me. Plus when I get back I am going to have even more questions!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:47 AM

What pest control service would you recommend for carpenter ants in Blairsville?? What do they charge for a monthly service if anyone on forum uses pest control? Are carpenter ants more of a problem in homes with just a crawl space instead of a basement?

Is there a good lawnservice company in Blairsville that anyone has used that is reliable and does quality work? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia