Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 PM

263 posts, read 797,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leez1561 View Post
My husband is being transfered to georgia, his office will be in woodstock can anyone tell be about the area. we have a son who will be attending high school next year. we visited over christmas break and also liked the acworth area. any feedback would be apprciated.

We live in Woodstock and our high school is Sequoyah which has the highest ranking. Why would you want to live in Acworth if your husband will be working in Woodstock?? He will have such a long commute and he will sit in a lot of traffic, he will easily have an hour commute each way. Woodstock is such a beautiful town and we are really having a growth spurt but our housing prices have stayed the same so now is the time to buy a house to get in on the prices before they start to go up! If you are interested in some neighborhoods in the Sequoyah district let me know and I can send you a few names of some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlraisedinthesouth View Post
Hi, My husband was transferred to Metter, Ga five months ago and has been living in a hotel. We are planning on joining him in the summer. We have been to Dublin, Statesboro, and Vidalia. Are there any other areas with decent shopping and good schools that anyone would recommend nearby? We have two children 11 and 10. The 10 year old is autistic and great schools are a MUST! We currently live in Hattiesburg, MS, 40 miles north of the MS Gulf Coast. We were severly affected by Hurricane Katrina, but since the storm we are really booming. However, I do not want to live through another hurricane as long as I live. We had over 70k worth of damage to our home and are still working on getting it fixed. You would not believe the crooks that come to town after devastation. We would like to be convenient to great shopping, but could settle for less on a day to day basis. Also, Statesboro's housing was less than acceptable to us. We looked at 400k + homes and found Formica countertops in the kitchens. Higher end finishes are used in MS on this priced home. The realtor told us that unless it is custom built that is the standard. I guess contractors are making a killing in GA.

Warner Robins, GA is a nice place. I transferred my job to Dublin, GA a few months ago from FL and I don't like it here. I plan on moving to Warner Robins, GA at the end of the summer.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 61,455 times
My family and I recently visited Woodstock and Kennesaw and liked it very much, we are seriously considering to move this summer, shopping and dining around the Town Center area is very convenient and the schools seem to be great.
As an office administrator, I was wondering about the jobs in the area or how is the commute traveling to and from say midtown Atlanta.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM

238 posts, read 668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee16240 View Post
We are going to relocate to GA in about 12-18 months, from FL, and I would like for people from all over Georgia to tell me about where they live so that I can find the right place for us. I look forward to hearing about all the wonderful/not so wonderful places to live. Please include cost of living, i.e., insurance (car/home), taxes, jobs, as well as crime rate, etc. Thanks so much in advance for your needed information.
LEE....I sent you a Priviate message on our area...Ok

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 22,859 times
Red face Tifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Tifton is deadsville, and if you dislike heat and humidity then I would avoid that area. If you want cool mountain air and scenic beauty go to the North Ga. mountains-Ellijay, Jasper, BlueRidge, or even Clayton.
My family and I lived in Tifton several times after we left Florida, we have also lived in Enigma and Ray City. I would never live back in Ray City or Enigma.There is just nothing at all there. We had to drive into Valdosta for our main shopping, about 40 miles away. Enigma is too far out from the main town of Tifton and that's where you did your shopping but the farm house and 2 acres of land were great. I wouldn't move back to Tifton either, the schools weren't that great, and we found most small town retailers (not the well known retailers) didn't carry or never heard of cuban sandwiches and other items. We couldn't find a cuban sandwich shop no where. We like our cuban sandwiches and no one nearby carried the cuban bread. Utilities, insurance (business, car, home) was very reasonable. There is plenty of land for sale at a good cost. But it is defintely dead in that town and nearby towns. But most small towns are still back in time and you have to expect it. You get used to it after a while, people are much nicer. You have to have a love for nature. I'd sit on our front porch and watch the deer, and wild rabbits. I enjoyed sitting outside in the early mornings, it was just different than Florida. I would like to relocate to Moultrie. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 16,789 times
Question Can anyone help me?

My husband and I and our 4 daughters are moving to georgia at the end of june. We currently live in michigan. I would like to have some information on Tifton, Hahira, valdosta and adel. Which city is better for families, what areas have the best schools? which cities have jobs available and have lower cost of living..
I wanna know it all .. which side of the tracks is the bad area.. lol

Let me know.. thanks
send me an e-mail..

Peggy

Old 05-12-2007, 04:16 AM

10 posts, read 43,919 times
My husband just started a job in GA and we were looking at Peachtree City to live. His job is in Lagrange. Some people in his office live in Newnan. I have 3 school age children 10, 8, 6. Academic standards are very important to us...we were in NH for a while and although the school was "fun" and very caring...they were not teaching the children the fundamentals! I had to do it at home and it was difficult because a basic standard was not "expected" in the classroom.

We have the option to live in Greenville, SC. I am wondering which would be best for us. I like Greenville as it seems smaller/ more accessable. Atlanta seems overwhelming to me.

Any feedback? I would like some info that would help me make my decision from overseas. I won't move until August right before school starts.

Thank you.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:09 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnemaman View Post
My husband just started a job in GA and we were looking at Peachtree City to live. His job is in Lagrange. Some people in his office live in Newnan. I have 3 school age children 10, 8, 6. Academic standards are very important to us...we were in NH for a while and although the school was "fun" and very caring...they were not teaching the children the fundamentals! I had to do it at home and it was difficult because a basic standard was not "expected" in the classroom.

We have the option to live in Greenville, SC. I am wondering which would be best for us. I like Greenville as it seems smaller/ more accessable. Atlanta seems overwhelming to me.

Any feedback? I would like some info that would help me make my decision from overseas. I won't move until August right before school starts.

Thank you.

Why not just live in LaGrange? That's a really nice area. Thought I have heard Greenville is pretty nice too.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,139 times
Default Senior living

I moved from So. Calif after I retired to Las Vegas, Nv. It's too hot, windy and dry here and can't afford to go back to Calif. I'm a senior citizen with a low income. I would like to live where it is safe and there are places to hike, walk, etc. I do have a friend in Acworth. I'm a? little leary of tornadoes
Thanks

Old 05-12-2007, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 173,455 times
Tifton Albany and Valdosta are probobly your best bets for small city living in Southwest Georgia. Public schools are not that great but private schools are affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia