Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I don’t think rallying the base on either side was the problem with Oprah. I think that the problem was with rallying the middle—the middle in Georgia is white, and for the most part probably do like Oprah, and are probably ok with Obama and Abrams. But the unintentional(?) optics of the (largely sympathetic) news media was to show Oprah, Obama and Abrams in the stumping for Abrams clips—Obama and Oprah eclipsed the optics of having major white figures supporting Abrams—I think that hurt her with a portion of whites that was considering her. She had done a good job with her ads, making the race less racial, but I think that the optics of her two most visible/famous surrogates being black hurt her.
I think the middle likes entertainers to entertain, not preach politics. So no big deal that Obama, Biden, Warren, et al would make appearances. It's their party and that's what politicians do. It's being told as a Georgian by the Hollywood crowd what is best for this state that they don't reside in that is off-putting.

And I do believe the same regardless of party affiliation. Don't need a Clint Eastwood coming in and stumping for Kemp either. Not that he did. And my choices of well known celebrities that would stump for the right is not a long list. But hope the point is made. Will Ferrell, just make me laugh. Otherwise stay in California. Y'all have enough problems of your own, make a difference there.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Few things:

Immigrants are not the same as Illegal Immigrants. They are distinctly different.

Speaking of Identity Politics why is it ok for Abrams to get 95% of the black vote but not ok for Kemp to get 70% of the white vote?
This didn't really respond to anything B2R said. Where did he, or anyone, say it's not okay for Kemp to get 70% of the white vote? As for the immigrant thing, Trump's rhetoric has been largely against any sort of immigration, unless he can hire them cheaper at his clubs.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This didn't really respond to anything B2R said. Where did he, or anyone, say it's not okay for Kemp to get 70% of the white vote? As for the immigrant thing, Trump's rhetoric has been largely against any sort of immigration, unless he can hire them cheaper at his clubs.
“In his first State of the Union address on January 30, 2018 Trump outlined his administration's Four Pillars for Immigration Reform: 1) a path to citizenship for DREAMers; 2) increased border security funding; 3) ending the diversity visa lottery; and 4) restrictions on family-based immigration.[11] The Four Pillars reinforce Trump's campaign slogan to "Buy American, Hire American" [12] and 2017 Executive Order by the same name and tracks with previously outlined immigration policy ”

Old 11-20-2018, 04:50 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Has anyone mentioned Kemp's blue-ribbon transition committee, featuring disgraced ex-HHS Secretary Tom Price? Talk about getting off on the wrong foot.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I think the middle likes entertainers to entertain, not preach politics. So no big deal that Obama, Biden, Warren, et al would make appearances. It's their party and that's what politicians do. It's being told as a Georgian by the Hollywood crowd what is best for this state that they don't reside in that is off-putting.

And I do believe the same regardless of party affiliation. Don't need a Clint Eastwood coming in and stumping for Kemp either. Not that he did. And my choices of well known celebrities that would stump for the right is not a long list. But hope the point is made. Will Ferrell, just make me laugh. Otherwise stay in California. Y'all have enough problems of your own, make a difference there.
Why can't entertainers use their voice and influence however they please? So what if you don't like it? What do you do? Do you want people to tell you "Just ______" whenever you speak out?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Why can't entertainers use their voice and influence however they please? So what if you don't like it? What do you do? Do you want people to tell you "Just ______" whenever you speak out?
That's fine, as long as they understand the consequences of doing so.

The Constitution guarantees the two things: That their freedom of speech will not deprive them of their property, and it will not get them jailed (unless said speech deprives another of their civil rights). Otherwise, once it's out of your mouth, you're on your own.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That's fine, as long as they understand the consequences of doing so.

The Constitution guarantees the two things: That their freedom of speech will not deprive them of their property, and it will not get them jailed (unless said speech deprives another of their civil rights). Otherwise, once it's out of your mouth, you're on your own.
I have no doubt that they understand that.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:30 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Of course they can. I didn't say they can't. I said their speaking out is what turned some middle road votes away. And doing so can swing both directions.

A general election in a tight race is the time to appeal to the middle. This didn't appeal to the middle.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Of course they can. I didn't say they can't. I said their speaking out is what turned some middle road votes away. And doing so can swing both directions.

A general election in a tight race is the time to appeal to the middle. This didn't appeal to the middle.
Sadly it didn’t. Abrams went too far left and Kemp too far right.

If he governs like he campaigned he will be in for a surprise next time around.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
Has anyone mentioned Kemp's blue-ribbon transition committee, featuring disgraced ex-HHS Secretary Tom Price? Talk about getting off on the wrong foot.
It depends what side of history you're on: some think that he's getting off properly on the right foot because, well, entitlement and a disregard for personal reflections on double standards. Greg Bluestein noted the appointment in a tweet, and most people (no, not just liberal-leaning Democrats were some Republican to assume so) have commented on how rural Georgians are potentially ruining even further their healthcare opportunities by betting on the good ol' boys. But of course, those blinded by partisanship don't want to consider Price's corruption because they're still too busy salivating over those nasty women Clinton and Abrams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia