Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 AM

617 posts, read 555,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
All in all however, I have to say, after having seen DFW, Houston, and especially Austin frequently...I have to say it DOES feel alot more liberal than Atlanta does. In comparison to those cities and especially the pacific cities (and I thought otherwise before actually going to these places), Atlanta still feels very strongly conservative. This was one of my biggest concerns about Amazon HQ relocating to Atlanta. The political atmosphere in this area is just altogether different than the Pacific.
Guess we live in 2 different Atlanta's. I am an African American so Atlanta to me, feels much more liberal than any of those Texas cities. Atlanta has a can do attitude, and pretty much everyone lives their own lives, and minds their own business.

Now maybe the State of Georgia, you could say feels conservative, but certainly not the city of Atlanta. As far as AMZN, Atlanta is one of their 17 hubs they will be expanding in in the absence of HQ2 in NY, so maybe you are speaking a little prematurely on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,494,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Guess we live in 2 different Atlanta's. I am an African American so Atlanta to me, feels much more liberal than any of those Texas cities. Atlanta has a can do attitude, and pretty much everyone lives their own lives, and minds their own business.

Now maybe the State of Georgia, you could say feels conservative, but certainly not the city of Atlanta. As far as AMZN, Atlanta is one of their 17 hubs they will be expanding in in the absence of HQ2 in NY, so maybe you are speaking a little prematurely on that.

Georgia still feels Conservative to me as well but I think most Blacks in the Atlanta area may be fooled into thinking Georgia is liberal because they mostly live in there little bubble segregated of mainly around blacks only as a majority and the whites are in there own areas mainly . Seeing mainly what you are around will give you that some what feeling until you step to the ballot box and the truth comes out, especially from the state level and as far as Georgia laws are concerned. Some of this may work for local county or city politics but at the state level that's a NO NO...You think to your self, with all the blacks I see every day, why is there no real change on the political spectrum but truth be told Dem's don't run this state and are not a majority here. Georgia is a big state and for the most part is still segregated and conservative sorry to say. People mind their business alright, they mainly stick to their racial group unless maybe at work or school, not saying its some exceptions of course but as a majority we all know what it is in Georgia.. I sometime or often thought all the transplants would change Georgia for the better as far as the way of thinking especially having an international population but I often find Georgia has changed the transplants for the worse as to being less open minded truth be told. I often see this a lot on jobs here in Atlanta.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,177,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Georgia still feels Conservative to me as well but I think most Blacks in the Atlanta area may be fooled into thinking Georgia is liberal because they mostly live in there little bubble segregated of mainly around blacks only as a majority

Old 03-06-2019, 07:37 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,400,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post

Texas cities are not more liberal than Atlanta, especially not Dallas. Probably Austin is and to some extent Houston may be, but the city of Dallas and it's suburbs feel fairly conservative. It's true when you go out to the deep suburbs and the rest of Georgia it gets pretty conservative but overall Atlanta still feels more liberal than most Texas cities, and I've spent extensive time venturing out in all parts of both metro areas so I wasn't confined to a "bubble". The massive number of corporate revocations going on in Dallas right now I think are going to have a big impact on the culture there sooner or later.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:32 AM

617 posts, read 555,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Texas cities are not more liberal than Atlanta, especially not Dallas. Probably Austin is and to some extent Houston may be, but the city of Dallas and it's suburbs feel fairly conservative. It's true when you go out to the deep suburbs and the rest of Georgia it gets pretty conservative but overall Atlanta still feels more liberal than most Texas cities, and I've spent extensive time venturing out in all parts of both metro areas so I wasn't confined to a "bubble". The massive number of corporate revocations going on in Dallas right now I think are going to have a big impact on the culture there sooner or later.
True I forgot about Austin.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,496,139 times
Quote:
Georgia still feels Conservative to me as well but I think most Blacks in the Atlanta area may be fooled into thinking Georgia is liberal because they mostly live in there little bubble segregated of mainly around blacks only as a majority and the whites are in there own areas mainly . Seeing mainly what you are around will give you that some what feeling until you step to the ballot box and the truth comes out, especially from the state level and as far as Georgia laws are concerned. Some of this may work for local county or city politics but at the state level that's a NO NO...You think to your self, with all the blacks I see every day, why is there no real change on the political spectrum but truth be told Dem's don't run this state and are not a majority here. Georgia is a big state and for the most part is still segregated and conservative sorry to say. People mind their business alright, they mainly stick to their racial group unless maybe at work or school, not saying its some exceptions of course but as a majority we all know what it is in Georgia.. I sometime or often thought all the transplants would change Georgia for the better as far as the way of thinking especially having an international population but I often find Georgia has changed the transplants for the worse as to being less open minded truth be told. I often see this a lot on jobs here in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
As a member of the LGBTQ+ and African diaspora demographics, I can sense the conservativism still prevalent around the metro Atlanta. Outside of Midtown, Downtown, Old Fourth Ward, and East Atlanta, it is still very conservative overall. It is a proverbial bubble because it is not really open even in most parts of the 5 core Metro Atlanta counties. It's nice that many heterosexual black folks feel like anything goes in Atlanta for them, but I beg to differ as a black LGBTQ. I am very aware of my blackness, but that's only part of my identity. Atlanta is only like 1-1 1/2 steps ahead of neighboring heavily black major metros, Birmingham and Charlotte (both which have been pushing the social acceptance in their respective intown areas for black LGBTQs) on this front to me. I feel the overall protestant religiousness throughout the majority of South plays a huge role in this social conservativism I feel way more accepted in the open social environments overall in New Orleans, South Florida, DC, more than Atlanta as a black LGBTQ. Ironically, all of those places are more religiously way more diverse and larger Catholic parishioners concentrations than Metro Atlanta.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,108,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
As a member of the LGBTQ+ and African diaspora demographics, I can sense the conservativism still prevalent around the metro Atlanta. Outside of Midtown, Downtown, Old Fourth Ward, and East Atlanta, it is still very conservative overall. It is a proverbial bubble because it is not really open even in most parts of the 5 core Metro Atlanta counties. It's nice that many heterosexual black folks feel like anything goes in Atlanta for them, but I beg to differ as a black LGBTQ. I am very aware of my blackness, but that's only part of my identity. Atlanta is only like 1-1 1/2 steps ahead of neighboring heavily black major metros, Birmingham and Charlotte (both which have been pushing the social acceptance in their respective intown areas for black LGBTQs) on this front to me. I feel the overall protestant religiousness throughout the majority of South plays a huge role in this social conservativism I feel way more accepted in the open social environments overall in New Orleans, South Florida, DC, more than Atlanta as a black LGBTQ. Ironically, all of those places are more religiously way more diverse and larger Catholic parishioners concentrations than Metro Atlanta.
I have lived in South Florida for over 50 years and can tell you that outside of certain areas such as Miami Beach, Winston Manors in FTL the rest of South Florida is conservative regarding LGBT individuals. I think most larger cities are like that, with pockets where we are welcomed and then the rest of the areas at best are tolerated. But times do change it wasn’t too long ago that in Miami Dade County they couldn’t pass a proclamation of protection for LGBT individuals

Old 03-06-2019, 04:47 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,496,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I have lived in South Florida for over 50 years and can tell you that outside of certain areas such as Miami Beach, Winston Manors in FTL the rest of South Florida is conservative regarding LGBT individuals. I think most larger cities are like that, with pockets where we are welcomed and then the rest of the areas at best are tolerated. But times do change it wasn’t too long ago that in Miami Dade County they couldn’t pass a proclamation of protection for LGBT individuals
Well, I frequent South Florida particularly Broward and Miami-Dade counties. I always felt welcome there even in inland areas of Broward like Miramar and Kendall and Miami Gardens in Miami-Dade.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:00 PM

37,924 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Georgia still feels Conservative to me as well but I think most Blacks in the Atlanta area may be fooled into thinking Georgia is liberal because they mostly live in there little bubble segregated of mainly around blacks only as a majority and the whites are in there own areas mainly.
Come on man, give Black people more credit than that. I've never heard a Black person, or any person for that matter, say Georgia is a liberal state. People are very well aware of the tensions that often exists between Southern states and their largest cities.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:14 PM

37,924 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Texas cities are not more liberal than Atlanta, especially not Dallas. Probably Austin is and to some extent Houston may be, but the city of Dallas and it's suburbs feel fairly conservative.
No, not Houston. If anything, Houston is known for being a bit right-leaning/libertarian for a big city. That's what happens when your city limits are so freaking big that it includes a big chunk of suburbia. I couldn't imagine something like this happening in Atlanta but it sure did in Houston: https://www.texasobserver.org/fallen...-save-houston/

With its Civil Rights history, large collection of colleges and universities, large gay population, and its entertainment industry, I think Atlanta gives off a bit more of a liberal vibe than Dallas and Houston. Culturally Austin is like a supersized college town that wanted to be known as "weird" to distinguish itself from the rest of the state, so it's a different sort of animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia