Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,483,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Come on man, give Black people more credit than that. I've never heard a Black person, or any person for that matter, say Georgia is a liberal state. People are very well aware of the tensions that often exists between Southern states and their largest cities.
Not saying people aren't aware of the tension or that they don't know it's not a liberal state but they just feel it should be a quicker and more dramatic sign of change to more liberal at the state level especially with the percentage of blacks, especially at a visual level.. Most go by what they see daily is all I'm saying so when you see a political candidate like Stacey Abrams lose at the state level it gets kinda hard for some to process, at least in their own bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Not saying people aren't aware of the tension or that they don't know it's not a liberal state but they just feel it should be a quicker and more dramatic sign of change to more liberal at the state level especially with the percentage of blacks, especially at a visual level.. Most go by what they see daily is all I'm saying so when you see a political candidate like Stacey Abrams lose at the state level it gets kinda hard for some to process, at least in their own bubble.
Ok now THAT I can get with. In this case, I think some Atlantans (Blacks, progressives, transplants) fail to account for two factors:

1) While metro Atlanta has 6M people, "liberal" Atlanta is only a fraction of that size. A huge chunk of metro Atlanta consists of small towns and rural areas much like those found down in south Georgia, only with a bit more suburban/exurban development.

2) There is a LOT of Georgia outside of (official) metro Atlanta and those folks vote. And the frustrated Atlantans don't know that THEY are often the reason given as to why small-town Georgians should vote because they're taking over the state with their liberal philosophies and all that jazz.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,483,817 times
Quote:
Ok now THAT I can get with. In this case, I think some Atlantans (Blacks, progressives, transplants) fail to account for two factors:

1) While metro Atlanta has 6M people, "liberal" Atlanta is only a fraction of that size. A huge chunk of metro Atlanta consists of small towns and rural areas much like those found down in south Georgia, only with a bit more suburban/exurban development.

2) There is a LOT of Georgia outside of (official) metro Atlanta and those folks vote. And the frustrated Atlantans don't know that THEY are often the reason given as to why small-town Georgians should vote because they're taking over the state with their liberal philosophies and all that jazz.
Exactly

Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,112,359 times
Quote:
Georgia still feels Conservative to me as well but I think most Blacks in the Atlanta area may be fooled into thinking Georgia is liberal because they mostly live in there little bubble segregated of mainly around blacks only as a majority and the whites are in there own areas mainly . Seeing mainly what you are around will give you that some what feeling until you step to the ballot box and the truth comes out, especially from the state level and as far as Georgia laws are concerned. Some of this may work for local county or city politics but at the state level that's a NO NO...You think to your self, with all the blacks I see every day, why is there no real change on the political spectrum but truth be told Dem's don't run this state and are not a majority here. Georgia is a big state and for the most part is still segregated and conservative sorry to say. People mind their business alright, they mainly stick to their racial group unless maybe at work or school, not saying its some exceptions of course but as a majority we all know what it is in Georgia.. I sometime or often thought all the transplants would change Georgia for the better as far as the way of thinking especially having an international population but I often find Georgia has changed the transplants for the worse as to being less open minded truth be told. I often see this a lot on jobs here in Atlanta.
Quote:
It's not really a bumble if half the state voted for her, further more she won metro Atlanta.

Georgia isn't a liberial or a conservative state it's really a purple state that leans to right a little bet more.

For her to get half the state and only lose by less than 1% their have be a significant amount of voters with progressive views.

The problem isn't the people it's the politicians, some politicians do only what their base wants and ideology, and ignore a significant voter percentage disagree with them. Other wise if a politician win only by 20 to 1% often still the gov as if a 100% voted for them. basically Georgia people are purple, with a slight conservative edge, but the GOP still govern further to the right then the demographics suggest.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:25 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,102,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It's not really a bumble if half the state voted for her, further more she won metro Atlanta.

Georgia isn't a liberial or a conservative state it's really a purple state that leans to right a little bet more.

For her to get half the state and only lose by less than 1% their have be a significant amount of voters with progressive views.

The problem isn't the people it's the politicians, some politicians do only what their base wants and ideology, and ignore a significant voter percentage disagree with them. Other wise if a politician win only by 20 to 1% often still the gov as if a 100% voted for them. basically Georgia people are purple, with a slight conservative edge, but the GOP still govern further to the right then the demographics suggest.
And a lot of that is by how the districts are drawn. This is a problem on both sides of the political spectrum. Districts should be drawn by an impartiall group and should reflect the voting of the state population. Sadly you look at most states and you will see that when a Party wins the state by 3-5% of the vote the state and house are stacked by 20-30% in favor of the party in power.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 AM

4,844 posts, read 6,112,359 times
You what just ran my mind that no one brought up,

Segregation became legal after Plessy v. Ferguson, Louisiana passed the Separate Car Act in 1896, A creole man name Homer Plessy challenge this went all the way to the supreme court. They held street car segregation constitutional. by doing that it open up a rabbit hole, everything from schools, restrooms and water fountains became segregated.

Soooo

If a baker can oppose to serve some one LGBTQ and base on their religious belief what to stop a teacher, Doctor, Firefighter, police men from doing the same?.................... and claim it's their religion says not to help?

Old 03-18-2019, 08:59 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,395,211 times
Quote:
No, not Houston. If anything, Houston is known for being a bit right-leaning/libertarian for a big city. That's what happens when your city limits are so freaking big that it includes a big chunk of suburbia. I couldn't imagine something like this happening in Atlanta but it sure did in Houston: https://www.texasobserver.org/fallen...-save-houston/

With its Civil Rights history, large collection of colleges and universities, large gay population, and its entertainment industry, I think Atlanta gives off a bit more of a liberal vibe than Dallas and Houston. Culturally Austin is like a supersized college town that wanted to be known as "weird" to distinguish itself from the rest of the state, so it's a different sort of animal.
Don't disagree, I was saying maybe the Houston area as a whole giving it the benefit of the doubt but definitely not Dallas especially when a good part of the DFW metro population includes Fort Worth and it's suburbs. I worked in Arlington which is considered more on the Fort Worth side of metroplex and the conversations I overheard at work that people were comfortable having were fringe right wing extremist and at times just blatantly racist. Even in Huntsville, AL people there didn't seem comfortable having those types of conversations at work. Yes Austin is weird. For all of it's liberal leaning it has the least diverse population of the large cities in Texas.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,404,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You what just ran my mind that no one brought up,

Segregation became legal after Plessy v. Ferguson, Louisiana passed the Separate Car Act in 1896, A creole man name Homer Plessy challenge this went all the way to the supreme court. They held street car segregation constitutional. by doing that it open up a rabbit hole, everything from schools, restrooms and water fountains became segregated.

Soooo

If a baker can oppose to serve some one LGBTQ and base on their religious belief what to stop a teacher, Doctor, Firefighter, police men from doing the same?.................... and claim it's their religion says not to help?
Good point. I think that the teachers, firefighters and police officers would be required to provide service since it is a governmental and not a private function. But, doctors, lawyers, bankers and bakers? I don't know. I would hope that most people would provide the service without blinking twice.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,538,614 times
*sigh* it's not about just providing a service, this doesn't protect "I'm a Christian, you're gay, get out of my store." It only protects people in religious positions (so Colorado bakery case does not even apply!) from being forced to perform "religious" functions contrary to their religion.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,260,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
*sigh* it's not about just providing a service, this doesn't protect "I'm a Christian, you're gay, get out of my store." It only protects people in religious positions (so Colorado bakery case does not even apply!) from being forced to perform "religious" functions contrary to their religion.
Nope. First amendment does that already. No priest or pastor has ever been forced to perform any religious ceremony they disapprove of because that would be unconstitutional. This RFRA is not needed, does nothing but stir the spot and it is indeed a backlash and middle finger toward the supreme court ruling allowing gay marriage. The intent is not and never was about anything other than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia