Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM

7 posts, read 5,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Atlanta proper might be a better fit for you than Brunswick. But using the label “Deep South” is about as appropriate as saying “New Yorker” for anyone living in NY. As I’m sure you are aware there is a big variation across the Empire State.
The guy who interviewed me from there used the term deep south, so I just figured it was, though he had plenty of positive things to say too. I am unfamiliar with all of the connotations that go along with that saying but there are certain things which come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Well it sure isn't liberal. shyshy I suppose you have seen the news about what those racists scumbags did to a guy there (and by the way I don't care what he did or did not do, I saw the video they murdered the guy while he was jogging and he did not provoke at all) and they almost even got away with it. Everywhere has racists but the whole police force there tried to cover it up. Awful. Yeah, Deep South seems appropriate. They have a lot of improvement to be made there in Brunswick. Owning up to it is the first step.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyshyshy View Post
The guy who interviewed me from there used the term deep south, so I just figured it was, though he had plenty of positive things to say too. I am unfamiliar with all of the connotations that go along with that saying but there are certain things which come to mind.
I mean, the guy who interviewed you is not wrong. And frankly, if he's *FROM* there, he would know everything about Brunswick better than all of us.

Brunswick is located in the geographic "deep south" of the US, and the cultural appropriations one would associate with the "deep south" region (slower-paced, politically conservative, pastoral, etc.) are all prominent in Brunswick.

It's not always an offensive label like some would think.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:16 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyshyshy View Post
If you’re referring just to Brunswick I won’t argue the term. But culturally I wouldn’t lump Atlanta and its immediate suburbs in with it even though geographically it is part of the Deep South.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:43 PM

I suppose no one who actually lives there will chime in on this...? All I've seen is 50% "crime is rampant!" and 50% "this is a safe town!" According to the Niche website. It's also quite touristy...the islands anyway. It seems cool to live in such a spot, but then again I've never been a 'local' anywhere I've ever vacationed before.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:06 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
If I were in your shoes I'd live on the south side of Savannah and commute to Brunswick.
I used to have to do that many years ago.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:19 AM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I mean, the guy who interviewed you is not wrong. And frankly, if he's *FROM* there, he would know everything about Brunswick better than all of us.

Brunswick is located in the geographic "deep south" of the US, and the cultural appropriations one would associate with the "deep south" region (slower-paced, politically conservative, pastoral, etc.) are all prominent in Brunswick.

It's not always an offensive label like some would think.
Agreed. Northeastern transplants like SavannahLife love to take jabs at this region, even though they chose to relocate here. They're sad that their political views are diametrically opposed to those of the locals and therefore, cannot access the kind of social life they had back home. With that said, based on what you've shared with us about yourself, Brunswick would be a horrible choice for you. Anyplace south of Richmond, VA on I-95 would be bad.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Agreed. Northeastern transplants like SavannahLife love to take jabs at this region, even though they chose to relocate here. They're sad that their political views are diametrically opposed to those of the locals and therefore, cannot access the kind of social life they had back home. With that said, based on what you've shared with us about yourself, Brunswick would be a horrible choice for you. Anyplace south of Richmond, VA on I-95 would be bad.
People seem to think that just because I'm in my 30's I desire some kind of invigorating nightlife, museums, constant entertainment, etc. I don't. I live in a suburbs and am happy with quaint cafes, restaurants and shops. I rarely venture downtown as large cities make me uncomfortable and I like lots of nature and recreation. What drew me to Brunswick was the beachiness of the islands and coastal town in general. What I am trying to find out is if Brunswick's crime is out of control and if there is a decent amount of youngish people to befriend. No one answered my original questions.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
I had several friends move to Brunswick area after college.

One lived south of the downtown area in an older house and still lives there today. It's a nice area and crime isn't a major cause for concern in any way. City living kinda thing, don't leave stuff in your car.

Outdoors are great in the area. Kayaking in the marsh creeks is beautiful and Cumberland Island is a national treasure. Be sure to read the Marshes of Glynn before heading down there.

Another couple friends lived on SSI for a few years and that was a blast visiting them. It's pretty good for younger people. That's where I'd move to.

I know you said you couldn't afford it, but maybe consider roommates or contact one of the rental management companies and tell them what you're looking for.

People tend to default to the extremes of a place. It's not as bad as what's been portrayed here.

Avoid living around the north of the downtown area, along Norwich St. North of the college is fine, older middle class housing, a typical suburban area.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Another couple friends lived on SSI for a few years and that was a blast visiting them. It's pretty good for younger people. That's where I'd move to.

I know you said you couldn't afford it, but maybe consider roommates or contact one of the rental management companies and tell them what you're looking for.
Thanks for your helpful response. I couldn't believe the cost of housing in Brunswick vs SSI! In Brunswick you can get a $800 - $1200 super nice apartment in a resort-like complex. The same type of apartment on SSI goes for $1500 - $5000+ lol. It must be a highly desirable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia