Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 12,069 times

Advertisements

Another Floridian here looking to move to GA. Im a native Floridian, but after 37 years I have seen enough to know that it is time to get out before it gets any worse. I have done alot of research, and have read countless pages on this board......very helpful by the way, one of the areas that I find most interesting is Oconee County. The area sounds nice, kind of hilly (not sure if thats a word), rural, decent schools, good housing and close to a larger city like Athens. I was thinking of somewhere near Watkinsville or even Bishop. I was wondering if someone could give me an overview of the area. Are my claims above describing the area correct or am I way off base. How is the city of Athens? Thank you in advance for any and all information you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,585 times
I don't think Athens is a large city, only about 175,000 in the Athens metro area. It's a college town generally with University of Georgia there. I love the downtown area full of good restaurants, music venues, pubs etc. Housing prices are also very good in Athens and the surrounding area, but everything is relative to what you yourself are used to.

I have a friend that lives in Athens and he likes it. I also have a cousin who lives there and very much likes it. It seems to be a progressive town and the people were very friendly when I was there. And it is definitely more technology oriented I would think than other similar towns the same size but I think that is because of the university. Try reading their online newspaper to get more information -- www.onlineathens.com.

Oconee County is very popular and the house prices will be more there than in Athens and a few of the other surrounding areas. I remember talking to a cab driver when I was last there, he was telling me everyone wanted to live in Oconee County. Me personally, I would buy an historic house in town if I were to choose Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: