Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the Savannah area if we EVER sell our house. While brousing the real estate listings I found a lot of nice listings in Brunswick. I know it's an hour and a half from Savannah, but that doesn't really matter.
Is Brunswick nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are thinking of moving to the Savannah area if we EVER sell our house. While brousing the real estate listings I found a lot of nice listings in Brunswick. I know it's an hour and a half from Savannah, but that doesn't really matter.
Is Brunswick nice?
Yes, a lot of Brunswick is nice...the downtown area is in gentrification mode, although there are some seedy areas around it as well.
If you're drawn to the historic aspects of Savannah, Brunswick has that as well, albeit on a smaller scale...check out the Union St area; lovely Victorian-era homes for great prices. Also, a favorite neighborhood of mine there is Windsor Park, east of downtown...lovely 20's-50's era homes on winding streets canopied by live oaks.
If you prefer new, there are plenty of developments west and north of town.
Another plus is that the beach is a bit more accessible there than in Savannah.
Brunswick is an hour MOL from both Savannah and Jacksonville and a easy commute to both airports.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 120,503 times
Default Loved Brunswick

As a fellow Buckeye -- LOL -- I was surprised at how much I loved the South and Brunswick in particular. We lived there for over 2 years, and only moved for my husband's job. We would have been happy living there long-term. Problems? Yes. Crime? Some. But in the balance, there's lots of great things going on, it's a perfect hopping off spot both N and S, and real estate is VERY affordable right now!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
Default Before you buy here!

In my opinion, Brunswick has a type of blight, dark cloud over it-buyer beware! Yes, it is over 50% black populated, and that will unlikely ever change, as this keeps the lawyers and judges in their biz, and they LIKE it just the way it is. Lots of good drugs to be had anytime,any corner! City commissioners do NOT promote or welcome new business-es at all! IT IS THE FINE example of old South Good Ol boy system. Yeah, some nice southern houses on Union Street, sure but next street over is projects and slums-chain down your yard furniture, cement your plants down, you get the pic? They call themselves having a re-developing authority downtown, to re-vitalize it-ha, that will be the day, what a joke, downtown is a cess pool ZOO! BWK is a stinky town, from all the super fund sites, no one tells you about, resulting in the HIGH rates of all types of CANCER. This is hush, hush. Oh, the beach-es, since all the car industry-ocean channel dredging (for a few local pocket linings of a select few) well, if you like swimming in black mud-its great! They have ruined the beaches. Poverty level here is unreal! Crimes forever on the rise! Realtors are idiots, especially the Island ones, who "forget" they left the Island and come to B-town and inflate the prices over HERE! Get a clue! They must be kin to the tax assessors! Nearly every street corner looks like a local DUMP! Couches, TVs , trash, and everyone seems to not mine-what is up with that? The code enforcement folks will charge you $260 for an 9x12 PICTURE frame size sign/bandit yet they ALLOW allthe other YUCKY signs to clutter all the streets-are they crazy? No, just show favortism...time and time again for the select few. Like the Poppells who ran Darien for years as "PRAYING FOR SHEETROCK so plainly depicts. I wonder if B-town has a book written about it too? Need I say more? Oh, if you are looking to buy a house in BWK, beware, as the the Realtors will again LIE to you, and NOT INFORM you IF you are in the historical district, what a JOKE and NIGHTMARE!! BEWARE of that-folks! Beware of moving here and getting STUCK here, investing in a property that you cannot sell, where the taxes are inflated, but the true value is NOT HERE! Yeah, the last little coastal sleeper-well for sure, you will be dead most likely BEFORE it ever makes a come back, that BWK blueprint is a hoax/hype, they really do not want you here-UNLESS you come to rent a slum house,peel shrimp, and work REALLY cheap, below a decent living wage. Yet, they complain, no one here wants to work-why should they, welfare is most good-plentiful and slavery here is alive and well here today in good 'ol Brunswick. Now, I might add if you work at FLETC- a government installment, you will do fine, you can live out of the city and make $70k and "worshipped" here like a GOD or something! LOL B-town has a wierd mindset and for St. Simons Island-move there-enough said. You know how when folks say less-what that means? Most folks leave quickly in droves---unless they are oLd money/family from there!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:22 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellmc View Post
In my opinion, Brunswick has a type of blight, dark cloud over it-buyer beware! Yes, it is over 50% black populated, and that will unlikely ever change, as this keeps the lawyers and judges in their biz, and they LIKE it just the way it is.
I think this statement tells all we need to know about your POV.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 PM

236 posts, read 698,370 times
Like every other town, Brunswick has it's downsides. The smell can sometimes be annoying, but you get used to it. There are a number of Superfund sites in the area - not sure about the increased cancer rate. Real estate and taxes are higher than the surrounding areas.

...but - you've got the Islands, great golf, splendid weather nearly year round. Plenty of shopping opportunities, restaurants, close to Savannah and Jacksonville...the list goes on and on.

I would love to live and work in Brunswick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia