Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
On thing is for sure, who ever we run will have more experience than the Community Organizer in Chief did when he won!
How original.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:59 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I find this particularly interesting because, not only do people's attitudes change with time but so do political philosophies and party platforms.

Not too long ago (up to the 1950s) the majority of blacks voted for Republicans (Dwight D Eisenhower enjoyed overwhelming black support for this elections). The Democratic Party was a "block" across the southern states with their support of segregation and other anti-civil rights laws. The industrial northern states and much of the west was pro-Republican territory up until the FDR presidency. In fact, in RI, as an example, Republicans controlled the legislature and much of the governorship (along with other aligned parties like the Whigs) through much of the 19th century and into the first part of the 20th century.

To say that 30, 40, 50 years from now that the Republican or Democratic party will be what it is today is simply foolish.

Furthermore, a previous argument (perhaps you made it or someone else, I forgot) mentioned that with the influx of transplants from the north, the state would turn more blue. I may see this in terms of social issues. However, have people ever wondered what is making people leave the "glorious" Northern states and heading to states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Georgia? Things like lower taxes, lower cost of living, better weather, etc. Who is to say that these people coming here suddenly want to transform Georgia into a Massachusetts or a New York? Maybe these people are ESCAPING that? That is certainly a possibility.
There is no denying that a lot of conservative northerns and westerns have made their way down to the big southern cities, but the largest majority of northeastern and western transplants to the Atlanta area has been African-Americans for quite some time now. Not trying to make this into a racial thing, but for the last few election cycles 9 out of every 10 African-Americans have tended to vote for Democractic candidates...in the last cycle it was 9.9 out of every 10. Given that fact and the fact that not all white northerns who move here are conservative, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of asians and latinos that also move here also trend Democratic, you can see where this is going.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
That doesn't even make any sense, given the context.
LOL, exactly. Seeing how he won and all.

P.S. This convo should head back to Georgia and off of national politics before Uncle Greg layeth the smack down.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 13,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, exactly. Seeing how he won and all.

P.S. This convo should head back to Georgia and off of national politics before Uncle Greg layeth the smack down.
So did Carter and well...

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,507 times
Quote:
There is no denying that a lot of conservative northerns and westerns have made their way down to the big southern cities, but the largest majority of northeastern and western transplants to the Atlanta area has been African-Americans for quite some time now. Not trying to make this into a racial thing, but for the last few election cycles 9 out of every 10 African-Americans have tended to vote for Democractic candidates...in the last cycle it was 9.9 out of every 10. Given that fact and the fact that not all white northerns who move here are conservative, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of asians and latinos that also move here also trend Democratic, you can see where this is going.
Your assuming that these minorities vote in large numbers which just isnt the case. Many of them came out to vote for Obama but that doesnt equate to large gains for Democrats in the South in upcoming elections. Meaning unless their is another Obama type candidate out there you wont see some huge uptick in minority voting. Also unless a blanket amnesty is granted many of the Latinos and Asians you speak of will not be eligible to vote.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Your assuming that these minorities vote in large numbers which just isnt the case. Many of them came out to vote for Obama but that doesnt equate to large gains for Democrats in the South in upcoming elections. Meaning unless their is another Obama type candidate out there you wont see some huge uptick in minority voting. Also unless a blanket amnesty is granted many of the Latinos and Asians you speak of will not be eligible to vote.
You assuming a lot here too. 1.) That African-Americans won't show up to the polls like they did in 2008. 2.) That a large amount of Latinos and Asians in metro Atlanta aren't citizens (a very big assumption).

With that said, the Republican party in Georgia has about another election or two of dominance before their time is up...unless they start trying to get more of the "minority" vote. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampatriot005 View Post
So did Carter and well...
Well, about half of the national Democratic party turned on Carter in '80. I don't see that happening in 2012. Nor do I see the Republicans running a Ronald Regan type candidate.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,507 times
Quote:
Well, about half of the national Democratic party turned on Carter in '80. I don't see that happening in 2012.
If they have any sense at all it will be 90% of Dem's turning on Obama!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
If they have any sense at all it will be 90% of Dem's turning on Obama!
LOL. I'll burn my Che Guevara shirt and get a Ronnie Regan cap if that happens.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Seriously? The answer is: Almost no one - on either side. There are plenty of congresspeople who never read the bills.

The reason people are opposed is that they understand, at its core, you cant save money by adding more people to an entitlement program. It simply defies common sense - no matter how clever the spin.
What defies common sense, to me, is Americans who believe that universal healthcare is impractical, despite the fact that every civilized country has it. Reminds me of the old tale of the mother watching the regiment marching and exclaiming "Everyone's out of step except for my son, John!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia