Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Hoss, the data was twisted and turned by the democratic party, via its "Vote From Abroad" subsidiary, in order to present Obama as not liberal and attract more votes.

Most reasonable people trust an organization that presents itself as objective and has been rating senators for over 25 years versus a CLEARLY partisan source, owned by the democratic party, that is blatantly trying to twist the data to its advantage.

If you cant see the obvious, I cant help you.
Oh, it's so much easier to make up insults than check the numbers, isn't it? So, rather than happily typing loaded verbs like "twisted and turned", how about going to the websites of the conservative organizations and pointing out any discrepancy between their numbers as reported by them, and as reported by electoral-vote.com.

Although electoral-vote.com doesn't hide its political affiliation, it's provided by celebrated computer science prof. Andrew Tanenbaum, as an effort to assemble some objective numbers. He's really not into "twisting and turning". That's more your style, evidently.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
New England Republicans are social liberals and would pass for Moderate Democrats most other places in the country....no matter how much Mitt Romney tries to act like he isn't.

So if the future of Georgia are Liberal Republicans, I'm cool with that. But they are a dying breed and Moderate and Conservative Democrats take their place in the South.
So now you are saying Romney is actually a Democrat??? I bet he would be surprised to hear that. He is a very pro-business guy. Not a liberal bone in his body.

Dying breed, hardly. As I said, come November, You Will See. You Will See.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Just for transparency, I'll post where most people are coming from in those counties.

Cherokee county top 5 inflow:

1.) Broward County, FL
2.) Palm Beach County, FL
3.) Miami-Dade County, FL
4.) Orange County, FL (Orlando)
5.) Los Angeles County, CA

Paulding County:

1.) Broward County, FL
2.) Miami-Dade County, FL
3.) Orange County, FL
4.) Palm Beach County, FL

Henry County:

1.) Miami-Dade County, FL
2.) Broward County, FL
3.) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn)
4.) Queens County, NY
5.) Palm Beach County, FL

Rockdale County:

1.) Broward County, FL
3.) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn)
4.) Queens County, NY
5.) Bronx County, NY

Fayette County:

1.) Broward County, FL
3.) Los Angeles County, CA
4.) Foreign - Overseas
5.) Cook County, IL

Coweta County:

1.) Broward County, FL
3.) Palm Beach County, FL
4.) Tarrant County, TX (Dallas)

Forsyth County:

1.) Broward County, FL
2.) Palm Beach County, FL
3.) Los Angeles County, CA
4.) Orange County, FL
5.) Miami-Dade County, FL

Now of course, people do move to Metro Atlanta from places like Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc but no where near as much as people from Miami, New York City, and Los Angeles do.

All of the counties above except for Tarrant County in Texas have a high Democratic population, with most counties going 60% or more for the Democratic candidate in the last 5 elections. Unless there is some sort of conservative exodus from these places (there isn't), it's a good bet that most of those people moving here vote Democratic.

Also, you can see that the same trend and demographic of people moving to the core counties is now spreading to the exurban counties.

Side note: Is it me, or is Miami just shedding all of their people on us or what?
I appreciate the info, very interesting indeed. I also was surprised and perplexed by the amount of Florida people moving here. What I would love to know is if they are native Floridians or if they moved to Florida from somewhere else then here. My bet is on the ladder.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Really, they're objective because they say they are? Apparently Obama took issue with those rankings: Obama Pushback on National Journal Rankings - Political Punch

The source I provided, however, gave individual and averaged rankings from eight well-known conservative sources. You didn't comment on that. So those eight sources were all wrong, and the NJ's ranking, which seems out of line with the facts, is "objective"?

Addendum: Just think about it logically. Everyone knows the US is basically a slightly-right-of-center country. Neither party would be so crazy as to nominate a presidential candidate from their extreme ideological fringe. It just wouldn't go over with the voters. Republican attempts to paint Obama as very liberal are misrepresentation for political purposes.
As Democrats paint Conversative's as Bible thumping, teabagging, racist, extremist! Painting with such broad brush strokes is beyond idiotic to me.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I appreciate the info, very interesting indeed. I also was surprised and perplexed by the amount of Florida people moving here. What I would love to know is if they are native Floridians or if they moved to Florida from somewhere else then here. My bet is on the ladder.
My guess would be native New Yorkers, Cubans, and native Miamians in that order. New Yorkers are just drawn to Georgia for some reason, and I know many (my family are New York transplants) who have moved here after giving Miami a go.

The Cuban population in Atlanta is exploding and is seemingly being ignored. In my building alone there are 3 cuban families, and a few weeks back I was on a business meeting in Alpharetta and stopped at this Cuban restaurant with one of my coworkers (also Cuban). The place was packed and according to her, pretty much every one there was Cuban.

And there have always been a lot of South Floridians moving here.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Of course Obama took issue with their rankings. He knows being labelled the most liberal is a HUGE negative. After all, if its not a negative, he would be wallowing with pride in that moniker, would he not?

The "facts"? So now "well-known conservative sources" are the source of "facts"? Wow, that is quite a change for you, isnt it? I wonder what other "facts" I can glean from these so-called conservative sites.

Interesting! The site that gathered your "facts, "Vote From Abroad.org" states the following about itself:

"This website is owned and operated by Democrats Abroad.

Democrats Abroad is the official Democratic Party organization for the millions of Americans living outside the United States. We work to advance the principles of our Party by spreading the Democratic message to Americans abroad and encouraging them to vote for Democratic candidates back home."

Hilarious. Who is spreading propoganda now???
And I thought Democrats had no problem with 49% of the country thinking that they are too Liberal. Seems as if Obama does!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
And I thought Democrats had no problem with 49% of the country thinking that they are too Liberal. Seems as if Obama does!
Who do you expect to believe that it's news to you that Democrats care whether they can get elected or not?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
I really don't see how. Senator Brown's victory was quite simple: He ran a better campaign than his opponent.
Agreed. Martha Coakley counted on the "I'm a Democrat, so I will win" mentality and then let her mouth run off to say stupid stuff, like not knowing who Curt Schilling was!!!!!

Quote:
Also, Massachusetts has a history of voting for Republicans and it is nothing new.
State office - yes. National office - not so much. And yes, there is a difference.

Quote:
Governor Patrick was the first Democrat to be Governor since 1983.
Actually, 1991 (the end of Dukakis's second term).

Quote:
New England Republicans are social liberals and would pass for Moderate Democrats most other places in the country....no matter how much Mitt Romney tries to act like he isn't.
I think that, in general, were Republicans to focus on government and economy and lay off the abortion or gay marriage issues, they would be much more in line with what the plurality or maybe even majority of Americans believe vs. the Democrats.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 PM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Oh, it's so much easier to make up insults than check the numbers, isn't it? So, rather than happily typing loaded verbs like "twisted and turned", how about going to the websites of the conservative organizations and pointing out any discrepancy between their numbers as reported by them, and as reported by electoral-vote.com.

Although electoral-vote.com doesn't hide its political affiliation, it's provided by celebrated computer science prof. Andrew Tanenbaum, as an effort to assemble some objective numbers. He's really not into "twisting and turning". That's more your style, evidently.
You are saying I am biased by accepting the results of an OBJECTIVE organization with no partisan ties rather than the results as determined by the DEMOCRATIC PARTY which has a clear interest in making the results fit their needs? Really? Really? Come on now.

You do realize that the Democratic Party does not normally rank politicians on a liberal or conservative basis? The National Journal has been doing so since 1981. They have a time tested methodology. The Democratic Party clearly took what data it could find, figured out a way to present it that looked "objective" yet still supported their goal, which was to present Obama as not too liberal.

I mean Ive worked in marketing. I know how numbers can be played with to get the result you want.

Show me evidence that the Democratic Party has been ranking politicians by these same measures since 1981. Otherwise Ill stick with the results of the most experienced, most objective source- National Journal.

Ill give you credit for moxie though. Saying I am partisan by accepting the results of an Objective rating system , and then claiming the results of the data manipulation of your own democratic party are somehow more objective -- if that aint moxie....

Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
My guess would be native New Yorkers, Cubans, and native Miamians in that order. New Yorkers are just drawn to Georgia for some reason, and I know many (my family are New York transplants) who have moved here after giving Miami a go.

The Cuban population in Atlanta is exploding and is seemingly being ignored. In my building alone there are 3 cuban families, and a few weeks back I was on a business meeting in Alpharetta and stopped at this Cuban restaurant with one of my coworkers (also Cuban). The place was packed and according to her, pretty much every one there was Cuban.

And there have always been a lot of South Floridians moving here.
If you like Cuban cuisine try Pappy's in Kennesaw! It is right across the street from Kennesaw State Univ on Chastain Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia