Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 AM

199 posts, read 627,948 times

Advertisements

Anyone who votes for a person because of his political party or the color of his skin is an IDIOT!!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
How are the bolded statements above anything else other than "unobjective personal opinion statements"?

The most recent facts/numbers on unemployment and economic growth do not support your statement that the economy is turning around. Unemployment is still egregiously high and GDP growth is slowing. Any growth that has come was the result of govt "stimulus" which is running out while the excessive debt taken on to fund the stimulus threatens the long term economic viability of the entire country.

Obama is doing a terrible job. Everyone I know feels the same way.
I couldnt have said it better myself!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
One... Atlanta has grown like crazy so GA will pick up seats... mostly in the Atlanta region.
The fastest growing counties in the state are outside of Atlanta city limits, not in them. This includes conservative havens like Forsyth and Cherokee. Yes, Atlanta is growing too, but let's not forget where the bulk of the population is indeed setlling.

Quote:
Two... most of the influx to Atlanta has been minorities who are overwhelmingly democratic.
Really? I thought that it was reverse white flight happening in Atlanta? Hasn't the black population dropped almost 15 points since 1980 in Atlanta? Wasn't there the "scare" that a white mayor actually came close to winning for the first time since the 1970s?

Quote:
Three... map-drawing time!!! I think this is the first time that you have a strong democratic state base and a democratic president in time for district drawing. 2010 is a big year for democratics to make huge gains in increasing influence by drawing maps to their preference. And with GA gaining so much to Atlanta and losing so much in rural areas there is going to be a lot of shifting.
You mean the map-drawing done by the state legislature which is and will be continue to be overwhelming Republican?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
How are the bolded statements above anything else other than "unobjective personal opinion statements"?
I was showing that not everyone agrees with your opinions and giving an example of an opposing viewpoint that's equally unobjective. I was in the same breath able to balance the discussion towards the center away from the right by counter-weighting your opinion. So let's agree to disagree on Obama and focus on the main topic, which is whether Georgia is turning blue, not how good Obama is doing from the perspective of those on the right, those in your neighborhood, those on Fox, or whatever.

Quote:
Obama is doing a terrible job. Everyone I know feels the same way.
"Everyone I know thinks smoking is cool" <- same kind of argument.

If you want to say how Obama impacts the future of blue vs red in GA, you should quote opinion polls from moderate groups following scientific methods across diverse populations, not say your personal opinions. This is exactly what I'm talking about as non-constructive discussion since it is unscientific.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM

479 posts, read 703,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I was showing that not everyone agrees with your opinions and giving an example of an opposing viewpoint that's equally unobjective. I was in the same breath able to balance the discussion towards the center away from the right by counter-weighting your opinion. So let's agree to disagree on Obama and focus on the main topic, which is whether Georgia is turning blue, not how good Obama is doing from the perspective of those on the right, those in your neighborhood, those on Fox, or whatever.

"Everyone I know thinks smoking is cool" <- same kind of argument.

If you want to say how Obama impacts the future of blue vs red in GA, you should quote opinion polls from moderate groups following scientific methods across diverse populations, not say your personal opinions. This is exactly what I'm talking about as non-constructive discussion since it is unscientific.
So in your view "The Forum" is not supposed to be a place where people express personal opinion? Im not sure many would agree with that. And besides, if your "opposing viewpoint" is somehow "equally unobjective", then doesnt that imply my viewpoint was objective? Sorry guy, but your thought process is lost on me here.

And please, you cant tell someone you are debating with how to construct their argument. In fact, everyone I know thinks smoking is quite uncool - as well as murder and robbery. Do those views also not have validity because they are "personal"?

There are plenty of discussions here based on unscientific methods. Good lord, 99% of them are quite unscientific. Besides, anectdotal evidence (especially when confimred over and over again, in a variety of settings, by different people) is often used in support of any number of arguments.

Opinion polls show the following: "that 29% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-four percent (44%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -15."

How is that for scientific?

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
Remember Oxendine, “The room is Confederate gray. Reminds me of why I am running. …” He's probably going to win the Republican primary. Even if he's educated, he sounds like a dummy. I think he'll be a good ol' boy type, having fun in the mansion rather than working.

Pollster.com: GA: 2010 Governor (SurveyUSA 6/14-17)
Republicans are split on theirs, Democrats are united with Barnes. I think it's possible Barnes could win. Remember, Sonny was the first Republican to be elected Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction".

So you have a united Democratic party, a split and bunch of buffoons on the Republican side, coupled with the affect that Sonny Perdue was an anomaly, I do think Georgia will turn blue.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Remember Oxendine, “The room is Confederate gray. Reminds me of why I am running. …” He's probably going to win the Republican primary. Even if he's educated, he sounds like a dummy. I think he'll be a good ol' boy type, having fun in the mansion rather than working.

Pollster.com: GA: 2010 Governor (SurveyUSA 6/14-17)
Republicans are split on theirs, Democrats are united with Barnes. I think it's possible Barnes could win. Remember, Sonny was the first Republican to be elected Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction".

So you have a united Democratic party, a split and bunch of buffoons on the Republican side, coupled with the affect that Sonny Perdue was an anomaly, I do think Georgia will turn blue.
Barnes had his shot and was voted out back in 02. NO WAY he gets elected, Oxendine will win the Republican nomination and will easily beat out Barnes this November. No one with half a brain thinks that Barnes will win!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:25 PM

213 posts, read 421,269 times
Quote:
So in your view "The Forum" is not supposed to be a place where people express personal opinion? Im not sure many would agree with that. And besides, if your "opposing viewpoint" is somehow "equally unobjective", then doesnt that imply my viewpoint was objective? Sorry guy, but your thought process is lost on me here.

And please, you cant tell someone you are debating with how to construct their argument. In fact, everyone I know thinks smoking is quite uncool - as well as murder and robbery. Do those views also not have validity because they are "personal"?

There are plenty of discussions here based on unscientific methods. Good lord, 99% of them are quite unscientific. Besides, anectdotal evidence (especially when confimred over and over again, in a variety of settings, by different people) is often used in support of any number of arguments.

Opinion polls show the following: "that 29% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-four percent (44%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -15."

How is that for scientific?

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™
And How many people are in that opinionated poll . 300 million people are living in the USA what percentage of that population are included in this opinionated poll ?? . A opinionated poll is Which is not concrete enough to say he is doing a horrible job.. These things were left for him to face when Bush got out of office.. It probably wouldnt have been any better if Mccain was in Office...

Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
The fastest growing counties in the state are outside of Atlanta city limits, not in them. This includes conservative havens like Forsyth and Cherokee. Yes, Atlanta is growing too, but let's not forget where the bulk of the population is indeed setlling.

I wouldn't call them conservative havens for long. Whenever there is rapid growth like that they eventually become democratic. Democrats can cede these counties for now, but make it up and more with the growth in the Gwinnett region which is now over 50% minorities and filled with people from traditionally democratic states. Most of atlanta is outside city limits now. Regardless this is where map drawing comes to play...

Really? I thought that it was reverse white flight happening in Atlanta? Hasn't the black population dropped almost 15 points since 1980 in Atlanta? Wasn't there the "scare" that a white mayor actually came close to winning for the first time since the 1970s?

Now that's not it... it's not that the AA are moving out the city it's that many different races are moving in and effecting the percentages. Have you been to Atlanitic Station lately. There is gentrifcation yes black flight... no. Regardless it doesn't change the democratic stonghold in certain areas. By the way there was no scare about a white mayor she would've done fine.

You mean the map-drawing done by the state legislature which is and will be continue to be overwhelming Republican?
Yes, but GA has a different set of rules, because GA was one of those states involved in voter fraud. The federal gov't must approve any map drawing that GA submits. So with a democratic president and congress... believe that it's going to favor democratics or at least be fair if its going to get approved... unlike the last map that will surely go away

Old 06-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Yes, but GA has a different set of rules, because GA was one of those states involved in voter fraud. The federal gov't must approve any map drawing that GA submits. So with a democratic president and congress... believe that it's going to favor democratics or at least be fair if its going to get approved... unlike the last map that will surely go away
Take a look at David Scott's district that was redrawn when Bush and the Republicans were in control of both houses to discount your assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia