Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM

127 posts, read 192,415 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

This is probably more of a hypothetical than anything else, but could an NHL team work in Grand Rapids?

This question is inspired somewhat by the Winnipeg Jets situation. Quebec City looks primed for the return of the NHL, but there really aren't any other Canadian locations that wouldn't meet strong opposition. There's also a very short list of American markets in traditional hockey areas, with the required population base, and considerable distance from existing teams.

Assuming that there was ownership, was Van Andel designed for future expansion? It looks like there's some potential on one end of the arena, but I'm not an architectural engineer. I'm not sure that 15k - 17k with the necessary amenities is plausible(?)

Much like Winnipeg, I think a rabid hockey base in a one-team town would definitely need to be the main selling point. Would Grand Rapids embrace an upstart team of their own. Or would it be way too difficult to make headway in Red Wings country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,251 times
I think it would be difficult... this is Red Wings country on nearly every level. The Red Wings are really the state of Michigan's team if you think about it. They do training camp to sell-out crowds in Traverse City, an exhibition game in GR (again to a sellout crowd) and our minor league team is enjoyed in no small part because the players in GR will someday don the winged wheel.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
No way Chicago Blackhawks or Detroit Red Wings will allow an NHL team in West Michigan. Besides, the NHL has 30 teams, they do not need to expand anymore.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Maybe a Soccer team?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Maybe a Soccer team?
rofl

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

As a life long wings fan, I don't know if I'd want a team in GR. What happens when they play eachother? Would I then have to stop being a fan of the Red Wings? It might be cool, but I am happy with the wings, but feel free to move them here

Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
No way Chicago Blackhawks or Detroit Red Wings will allow an NHL team in West Michigan. Besides, the NHL has 30 teams, they do not need to expand anymore.
Territory rights in the NHL are about 60 miles/100 KM from the home arena. Depending on where you put the barn, even Milwaukee could fall outside of Chicago's rights zone. The Wings could effectively block the relocation of the Lightning to the Palace of Auburn Hills by demanding too high of a franchise fee (and did back when the 'Ning were struggling with attendance and threatening to move) but their official turf ends even before you get to Lansing.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
As a life long wings fan, I don't know if I'd want a team in GR. What happens when they play eachother? Would I then have to stop being a fan of the Red Wings? It might be cool, but I am happy with the wings, but feel free to move them here
What would happen is 15,000 Wings fans invading Grand Rapids arena every time they played there. See the game in Dallas lastnight? Half the arena dressed in red, and that was 1,000 miles south of MI. No one wants to see that in GR. GR is on its way up, but it is not a big 4 city, nor will it be anytime in the near future.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
What would happen is 15,000 Wings fans invading Grand Rapids arena every time they played there. See the game in Dallas lastnight? Half the arena dressed in red, and that was 1,000 miles south of MI. No one wants to see that in GR. GR is on its way up, but it is not a big 4 city, nor will it be anytime in the near future.

Agreed, plus there's no way in heck the Van Andel could hold a pro sports team.

I don't think any team is safe when you play against the Wings though. I lived down in Florida for a while, and when the Panthers played the wings, the people in Panthers jerseys were outnumbered by the Wings fans

Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Agreed, plus there's no way in heck the Van Andel could hold a pro sports team.

I don't think any team is safe when you play against the Wings though. I lived down in Florida for a while, and when the Panthers played the wings, the people in Panthers jerseys were outnumbered by the Wings fans
.....and that's obviously because of the mass exodus from Michigan the past 20 to 30 years. Personally, I support the home team in any place I live in, Michigan or not, and I see that as supporting said community as well, but apparently I'm in a great minority with this approach. I can't stand it when I go to an arena and see the visiting team with just as many or more fans there. These are the same people who move to, say, Texas, and expect everything there to be like it was back home, and so there they are in their Wings jerseys instead of embracing their new community and supporting its teams. Then they wonder why none of the natives there can stand them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area