Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I keep trying to finish this thread as I stated many posts ago, and people like you who don't bother to read previous replies keep replying (none quite as obnoxious as you).
No one is forcing you to continue the thread.
However, if you are truly concerned about your GD's health, then doing anything from an ocean away is going to be terribly difficult.
Talk to your son about it. Of course, if he is obese then he obviously doesn't understand healthy eating.
Other than that, I would send her books about adventurous girls (sort of like the old Nancy Drew mysteries), and in roundabout ways, WITHOUT mentioning weight, encourage her to do things that require movement.
Ballet, gymnastics, swimming, etc.
Perhaps you could pay for swimming lessons, tennis lessons, or the like.
If nothing works, you'll have no alternative but to accept that your GD is tubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Good God. Seriously, you have too much time on your hands. Volunteer at an animal shelter, or some other deserving place.
This is too funny. I guess 2 years as a volunteer in Uganda wasn't enough?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
END OF THREAD! PLEASE. ANY AND ALL ADVICE - GOOD AND BAD - HAS BEEN REPEATED AD NAUSEUM. There is nothing more to say.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Golly, I hate to say this, but we are in the same boat now as the OP! We just found out this morning on Facebook that our 12 yr old grandson is 5'7" and weighs 212 lbs! Like the OP, we live numerous miles away from grandson. From looking at photos on Facebook of daughter, she's a little plump, but that's it. From looking at photos on Facebook of grandson, we could tell some weight was there, but didn't think THIS much. Daughter and myself have had an estranged relationship for years, so I really don't want to bring up anything about this, but wonder why she doesn't see it......or maybe she does and simply avoids it. I'm 62, 6'1" and weigh 227. This kid is 12 and weighs close to what I do! Unreal!
Guess, somethings people can do things about and other things just have to be left alone!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Perhaps it's just my 'hood' (I'm from Ohio, but now in Utah) , but, all but one kid in my daughter's class are, what I'd call 'skinny'. The one kid isn't obese at all, IMO. He's more 'stocky' or 'husky'. Our school pushes veggies everyday & encourages exercise & gives kids in school (K-6th) a lunch recess, plus another. Well, K is 1/2 day, so, more just 1st-6th, 2 recesses. lol My kids don't eat the best, but, I do encourage them to go outside to play. We have snow now, but, my son & his friend sleeping over spoke of snowball fights on Sat. =) My kids just need boots now. lol

Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I adore my granddaughter and I hate to see her miserable and unhealthy. Her obesity is not her fault. Her mother equates food with love and nags her daughter to clean her plate even when she says she's full. She bribes her with chocolate bars. Favorite food, which she eats frequently - macaroni and cheese.

I don't know if I can report them - that would be very hard.

I will see them at xmas, and if my dil says one more time that her daughter is solid, I'm going to lose it!
You know what I would do? I would sit them down and not talk... but as you say Lost It. This is NOT a borderline issue. I am usually 150% in the stay out of it camp. But this is a life threatening issue. My brother is type 2 diabetic. (Adult though.) He is going BLIND. BLIND. Diabetes is a horrifying illness. And KIDS are getting type 2, usually brought on by obesity, diabetes.

Sit them down, TIE them down. Tell them you are my son and daughter in law. I love you. You are killing yourself with your life style choices. Your daughter is not "solid" she is FAT. Your are FAT. There is ismply no way her pediatrician has not told them that she needs to lose weight. If you can offer to pay for family counseling some Mom and Dad can get a healthy relationship with both food AND love, offer that.

No more hand wringing. This kid needs an advocate. When grand daughter says she is full at teh dinner table, say Ok honey and take her plate before Mom can do anything...

Quote:
She's not solid, it's all fat. Last xmas we went to a kids museum and they had a scale that my 10 year old niece got on, then my 3 year old granddaughter got on. The niece was just a couple of pounds more (and is very tall). My dil was shocked but nothing changed.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 566 times
Sadly, I too have an overweight Granddaughter. She is 5 and is 80lbs. She is very active. However, my daughter and son in law work long hours and feed her and her sibling take out or quick junk food. I don't "say" anything, I just plant ideas by saying things like "here are some quick and easy healthy meal ideas." I also keep healthy snacks on hand here at my house. I also take her to parks and swimming. Her sibling is the opposite, so skinny, and doesn't each much!

Old 12-18-2021, 08:56 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Sorry, but say nothing. You will be seen as the evil Grandmother if you say anything. And the parents can isolate from your Granddaughter's life. Your best action is to develop a relationship with the child, maintain relationship with parents, and when your granddaughter is older, provide support for her if she is overweight and wants to diet.

Also, contrary to what most people think, overwieght people can be healthy, or healthier than "thin looking people", and can actually have happy, productive lives. Imagine that.

Withdrawn...........amazing necro on my part, more than a decade a record for me!

Old 12-18-2021, 09:49 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight183 View Post
Sadly, I too have an overweight Granddaughter. She is 5 and is 80lbs. She is very active. However, my daughter and son in law work long hours and feed her and her sibling take out or quick junk food. I don't "say" anything, I just plant ideas by saying things like "here are some quick and easy healthy meal ideas." I also keep healthy snacks on hand here at my house. I also take her to parks and swimming. Her sibling is the opposite, so skinny, and doesn't each much!
As this is a new post......

I tend to agree with your approach.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:03 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
If you call Child Protective Services and they feel that being fat is child abuse, they will remove your granddaughter from her home and place her in a foster home. Pediatricians are mandatory reporters of child abuse. Clearly the doctor doesn't feel this rises to that level.

Do you really think that's the best solution?

"When children are beaten or sexually molested, the justification for taking them out of the home is clear: the caretakers are violating the rights of their children. Similarly, with neglect, caretakers are failing to provide their children the necessities to which they are entitled. The central question that I want to address in this article is whether the actions (or inaction) of caretakers that allow a child to become obese are morally or practically analogous to physical abuse or neglect. Ultimately, I will argue that parenting that allows a child to become obese is so morally different from both abuse and neglect that it is best understood as falling outside these categories altogether. This conclusion has important moral, practical, and legal implications."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/....1002/hast.871
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents