Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
So someone made thread about hip hop on a message board in which many of the constituents know nothing about the culture and judge the artists who are paid to dumb down their music and push a culture that breeds the self-genocidal culture that is so prevelant the communities of my people.

For one many of you are speaking from an outside perspective. A lot of the stuff these gimmick rappers portray is a reality and the people living don't think is something to be glorified, im sure the line between telling you about that and glorifying that life is blurred to many of you.

Its funny no one in here are blaming these record execs, like Jimmy Iovine who continually perpetuates this bastardized the culture many of you think u know.

I seen someone mention tupac and when they spoke on him i knew this was thread was full of ignorance. I bet many of you wouldn't believe he was assassinated by the government, his 94 shooting was an attempted assassination attempted the government collaborated with jimmy henchman to carry it out. Most of you dont know what thug life was truly about, but thats another story.

Its also funny many of yall said we grow without fathers but it didnt start until the war on black men aka the war on drugs, when they gave afrikan men 50 years for mere grams of a substance. A substance that many Afrikans didnt associate with until the federal government literally shipped kilos of it. These devil politicians did this to fund the contras and these same devils own the private prison that this bastardized hip hop culture generates (speaking of 'commodity'), not to mention the iran-contra conflict.

Yall folks lost as a mf and for you Afrikans in here condemning your people and children, all I'll say is shame on you aligning yourself with your oppressors and keep doin so..you're nothing but a boot licking ****** to them, don't even know who you are but it's cool live your life.

Aside from that just to make it clear true hip hop sounds nothing like it does today. This is why so white people buy the music, true hip hop..well white folks let alone 16 year old white girls wouldn't be able to relate to.
True dat.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
So someone made thread about hip hop on a message board in which many of the constituents know nothing about the culture and judge the artists who are paid to dumb down their music and push a culture that breeds the self-genocidal culture that is so prevelant the communities of my people.

For one many of you are speaking from an outside perspective. A lot of the stuff these gimmick rappers portray is a reality and the people living don't think is something to be glorified, im sure the line between telling you about that and glorifying that life is blurred to many of you.

Its funny no one in here are blaming these record execs, like Jimmy Iovine who continually perpetuates this bastardized the culture many of you think u know.

I seen someone mention tupac and when they spoke on him i knew this was thread was full of ignorance. I bet many of you wouldn't believe he was assassinated by the government, his 94 shooting was an attempted assassination attempted the government collaborated with jimmy henchman to carry it out. Most of you dont know what thug life was truly about, but thats another story.

Its also funny many of yall said we grow without fathers but it didnt start until the war on black men aka the war on drugs, when they gave afrikan men 50 years for mere grams of a substance. A substance that many Afrikans didnt associate with until the federal government literally shipped kilos of it. These devil politicians did this to fund the contras and these same devils own the private prison that this bastardized hip hop culture generates (speaking of 'commodity'), not to mention the iran-contra conflict.

Yall folks lost as a mf and for you Afrikans in here condemning your people and children, all I'll say is shame on you aligning yourself with your oppressors and keep doin so..you're nothing but a boot licking ****** to them, don't even know who you are but it's cool live your life.

Aside from that just to make it clear true hip hop sounds nothing like it does today. This is why so white people buy the music, true hip hop..well white folks let alone 16 year old white girls wouldn't be able to relate to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The hip hop you hear on the radio is really a form of pop music, designed for mass consumption, and engineered by record executives who care only about profit. If the question is whether or not this music is leading to the destruction of black youth, I think the answer is that there are many other things causing far more problems for black youth than a silly genre of pop music (ie, gun violence, broken homes, poverty, systemic discrimination, the War on Drugs).

But the music one hears on the radio is typically not what I would consider hip hop. Hip hop has always been a positive outlet for young people living difficult lives. Hip hop culture was created in the South Bronx in the late 70's and early 80's and gained popularity in poor neighbourhoods across New York as a way of escaping the violence and horrible living conditions young people faced. Early hip hop had a positive message, and was a medium for teaching youth in the ghetto how they could transcend the barriers that seemed to hem them in on all sides (think about the Message by Grandmaster Flash). Hip hop could also have fun lyrics, talking about sex, love, relationships, partying, and any other topic you can think of (think about Rapper's Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang).

IMO, it was in the late 90's that hip hop split off in two different directions. One direction was a commercialized hip hop, designed by big studios to make money and sell albums. This kind of hip hop tended to have misogynistic lyrics, often glorified violence, gangsterism and materialism - a winning combination that that entertainment industry had already tested and approved lomg ago in the film and television industries. Sex and violence sells, and when hip hop went mainstream, record execs made sure their artists were 'real' authentic hoods - the longer their rap sheet the better. Intelligent hip hop went in another direction and went back underground because it simply could not compete with he big-money acts, many of whom were starting to come from the South, rather than the traditional hip-hop Meccas of the east and west coasts. There are still many artists out there making excellent, intelligent hip hop music, but you won't hear them on the radio because the studios don't believe they can make the kind of money as the commercial hip hop.

If you look at the history of hip hop, it's obvious that it's not the music that is to blame for anything, but the entertainment industry trying to make money using the winning formula of sex and violence to sell records. In this sense, commercial hip hop is no worse for black youth than violent movies and television shows are. As I've already pointed out, the poor black youth are unlikely to be influenced heavily by the lyrics of gangster rap. For one thing, the lifestyle is visible just outside on the streets - they don't need a rap artist to tell them about it, because they can see for themselves quite clearly what it's all about. In addition, the effects of poverty, violence, broken homes, broken schools, systemic prejudice, and the War on Drugs are far greater threats to black youth than even the worst hip hop music will ever be.

But make no mistake - real hip hop is generally positive in its message, talking candidly about the problems facing young people, but never glorifying a life of crime. Glorifying violence is what the entertainment industry does best, and they are the ones who have pushed these so-called gangster rappers into the mainstream. It's a strategy for reaping profit for the corporation, and even if the artists may get rich by rapping negative nonsense, the music industry is the real winner. The industry could choose to push artists like Talib Kweli, Mos-Def, Common, and others who have proven to have mass appeal, and whose lyrics are far more positive and intelligent than anything you'll hear from Young Jeezy or Rick Ross. But the industry doesn't push them and never will, because the entertainment industry is obsessed with sex and violence because they know everyone else is too. So if anyone or anything related to hip hop is having a negative effect on black youth, it is the entertainment industry and the large corporations that run it.

So for those who know little to nothing about hip hop, but still believe it is having a negative influence on black youth, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
What they said! My turn:

Hip Hop in itself is a culture composed of the 4 elements: Breakdancing, Graffiti, DJing, and MCing (Rapping). This was a serious culture going on in the Bronx and it spread like wild throughout the US in the communities of Afrikans in this land. I can't say how it was back then, I wasn't even thought of then but I do know and see how it has evolved and it hasn't been pretty because of money hungry record execs and private industry entrepreneurs. You always had people rapping about drugs, violence, sex, murder. Usually it was a somber projection to the rest of the word of life for Afrikans in this land, and since it was shown with such truth and from the perspective of the people, you had no choice but to listen to the outcry, it was a world of difference for your average Amerikkkan teen. With that said, record label execs seen something to profit from and exploited the artform.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,569 times
I have a friend that still listens to rap. I feel dumber every time I ride with him in his car.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
The K-ppoers have incorporated a lot of hip-hop into K-pop and it works pretty good.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No. Hip-hop and rap are two different genres.
Also, music doesn't make the murder rate in my city top 10 in the nation. You would have to be ignorant to blame music for societies problems.

People said the same exact thing about jazz, then rock and roll, then disco, then hip-hop, now rap... soon my generation will say it about some other form of music when I'm old.

This entire thread is shallow.

"Rap" came first.....then "hip hop"

As in "rapper's delight" ect.....

"hip hop" was a term adopted after "rap" was being used to describe the entire genre...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,267 times
"Buster Rhymes" .........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
The Hip-Hop of today cannot be defended. Hip-Hop today is destructive, ugly, hurtful, damaging, just anti-decency and respect. People can talk all day about how Hip-Hop used to be. That era is not what this discussion is about. Today is something entirely different. The lyrics today are atrocious. I wish people would get the courage to say enough is enough.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
The Hip-Hop of today cannot be defended. Hip-Hop today is destructive, ugly, hurtful, damaging, just anti-decency and respect. People can talk all day about how Hip-Hop used to be. That era is not what this discussion is about. Today is something entirely different. The lyrics today are atrocious. I wish people would get the courage to say enough is enough.
Hip-hop is a broad genre of music. You are talking about one type of hip-hop, which also happens to be the best known because that's what the recording industry pushes. There is still excellent hip-hop being produced TODAY that is not destructive, ugly, hurtful, damaging, etc. You're just not going to hear it on the radio, because, as I pointed out earlier, sex and violence sell, and the entertainment industry pushes the so-called hip-pop artists that fill their music with sex, violence, and materialism.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
What about pop music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Hip-hop is a broad genre of music. You are talking about one type of hip-hop, which also happens to be the best known because that's what the recording industry pushes. There is still excellent hip-hop being produced TODAY that is not destructive, ugly, hurtful, damaging, etc. You're just not going to hear it on the radio, because, as I pointed out earlier, sex and violence sell, and the entertainment industry pushes the so-called hip-pop artists that fill their music with sex, violence, and materialism.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I didn't go through the whole thread (well saw it just now and saw a few responses), but I doubt many of the critics here actually listens to any of it to judge. Like you said, the mainstream is just one portion of hip-hop. I will agree that majority of that is garbage. However, you do have many intelligent rappers (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Kendrick Lamar, etc.) who have nothing to do with that nonsense. NOT ALL HIP-HOP IS BAD. That's like saying all rock music is satanic.

I find it interesting that people (just like above) blame rap for everything wrong with society. What about pop? Most of that crap like Kesha, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, etc. is all bad. In the end, none of that matters anyway...PARENTS are the ones who are suppose to PARENT their child. If they act like a knucklehead, that's on the PARENTS.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Hey folks you know what's more damaging to black youths than hip-hop

Blaming hip-hop for all of their problems and not demonstrating any personal responsibility by teaching them personal responsibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates