Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times

Advertisements

Kids like to hear music, that is not the reason for the violence. Lack of a better education or better schooling and training of the kids I think is the main reasons for violence. Easy access to guns, drugs all the vices go together.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Kids like to hear music, that is not the reason for the violence. Lack of a better education or better schooling and training of the kids I think is the main reasons for violence. Easy access to guns, drugs all the vices go together.
They don't turn to violence because of lack of education or training, they turn to violence because they think it is cool and they have no moral compass.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
They don't turn to violence because of lack of education or training, they turn to violence because they think it is cool and they have no moral compass.
There may be a lot of reasons why young people turn to violence, but the entertainment industry's constant saturation of film and television filled with violence that glorifies it and makes people who achieve their goals through violent means seem like cool heroes (think every action hero and every action movie created in the last thirty years - when was there ever a non-violent hero). So in a culture where violence is cool and respected, that is part of it, though certainly not the whole story.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM

96 posts, read 245,466 times
I'm going to say yes and no.

That is if we're speaking strictly the music itself, then no. I think some people are still living in the 90s, because a lot of hip hop today (mainstream stuff, at least) has gotten incredibly soft. I'm not even sure how many kids are really taking this stuff seriously. Seems like everyone's in on the joke these days. The sheer ridiculousness of rap--I mean, hip hop today is on par with the trashiness of today's reality shows.

Now, if you do happen to know a youngster whose only true aspiration is to become a dope boy stacking bands while getting mad brain, then I think the problem goes beyond the dumb party music they are listening to...more than likely, the problem will correlate with their economic situation and lack of any good parenting. Music can be affective, but ultimately it's the upbringing that molds a human being. So, perhaps we should separate hip hop from actual hood culture, as those are two separate entities. However, hood culture is what influences a good amount of American hip hop, yet not all hip hop is bad, as there are plenty variations that use a more positive and inspirational tone while others are solely made for laughs. We might be looking at double-edge sword here, folks. Again, I think the problem goes beyond the music in itself. Like all forms of entertainment (movies, video games, books, internet), music should only be taken with considerable moderation by a responsible individual.

Now, if we're speaking on whether or not hip hop is destroying the image of black youth, then I say absolutely, positively. Despite the valiant efforts of good black people, the first image the world still chooses to see is the rap business (both good and negative) or anything that pertains to black foolishness, athleticism, or drama. Not much room for anything else (especially in the age of Youtube and Yahoo! news, and how every trailer for a gritty movie wants to employ a rap anthem). Sometimes, it seems like the only way to help the image of black youth in America is to completely eliminate things like hip hop all together, but then we would be denying people from being able to express themselves. So how can we improve upon this issue? Is there any sort of solution that could remedy such damning scrutiny and stereotypes placed on this planet? Because there's got to be something better than this.

Anyway, I'll be more interested in the next 20 years to see whether or not the new generation will still be cling on to our current hip hop trends, or move on to something completely different.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:33 AM

733 posts, read 939,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
NO too much negative energy. That is why he is deceased now.
Going by your other posts it sounds like you just want to listen to "good time" music, which is fine for you, he has songs like that, Keep Ya Head Up, To Live And Die in LA and Changes come to mind even though we may have different standards, I mean Changes may not have been carefree but it was optimistic

Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM

733 posts, read 939,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
I'm going to say yes and no.

That is if we're speaking strictly the music itself, then no. I think some people are still living in the 90s, because a lot of hip hop today (mainstream stuff, at least) has gotten incredibly soft. I'm not even sure how many kids are really taking this stuff seriously. Seems like everyone's in on the joke these days. The sheer ridiculousness of rap--I mean, hip hop today is on par with the trashiness of today's reality shows.

Now, if you do happen to know a youngster whose only true aspiration is to become a dope boy stacking bands while getting mad brain, then I think the problem goes beyond the dumb party music they are listening to...more than likely, the problem will correlate with their economic situation and lack of any good parenting. Music can be affective, but ultimately it's the upbringing that molds a human being. So, perhaps we should separate hip hop from actual hood culture, as those are two separate entities. However, hood culture is what influences a good amount of American hip hop, yet not all hip hop is bad, as there are plenty variations that use a more positive and inspirational tone while others are solely made for laughs. We might be looking at double-edge sword here, folks. Again, I think the problem goes beyond the music in itself. Like all forms of entertainment (movies, video games, books, internet), music should only be taken with considerable moderation by a responsible individual.

Now, if we're speaking on whether or not hip hop is destroying the image of black youth, then I say absolutely, positively. Despite the valiant efforts of good black people, the first image the world still chooses to see is the rap business (both good and negative) or anything that pertains to black foolishness, athleticism, or drama. Not much room for anything else (especially in the age of Youtube and Yahoo! news, and how every trailer for a gritty movie wants to employ a rap anthem). Sometimes, it seems like the only way to help the image of black youth in America is to completely eliminate things like hip hop all together, but then we would be denying people from being able to express themselves. So how can we improve upon this issue? Is there any sort of solution that could remedy such damning scrutiny and stereotypes placed on this planet? Because there's got to be something better than this.

Anyway, I'll be more interested in the next 20 years to see whether or not the new generation will still be cling on to our current hip hop trends, or move on to something completely different.
We gotta change the modern perception of Hip Hop

Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Hip Hop and rap is totally destroying the younger generations...all races.
Banning it would not be the right way to go, but it does suck and teaches the kids totaly wrong values.

*******, money and ho's...that sums it up.
Wow, so much generalization. Everything depends on so many other factors, it's just too easy to point to a genre or genre and lay blame there.

When I was a teenager, the music I listened to supposedly glorified promiscuous sex, drugs, anti-social behavior of all kinds (metal and punk) and every other mother feared we were all secretly slaughtering babies at midnight in an attempt to please Lord Satan. It seemed like there was always something on the news about this or that metal band causing someone to be violent or commit suicide.

There is so much more to a person's behavior than just what sort of music they are exposed to though. So much of a person's attitude and success is about how they are brought up. My mother knew she's raised me to not slaughter babies so it was not a big worry of hers. Society has had problems for a long long time, but we always seem to look for a scapegoat.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Going by your other posts it sounds like you just want to listen to "good time" music, which is fine for you, he has songs like that, Keep Ya Head Up, To Live And Die in LA and Changes come to mind even though we may have different standards, I mean Changes may not have been carefree but it was optimistic
Still not a fan. You found 3 songs from like what 20 albums? My point exactly.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Repeat after me.

"I get money"
"I have money"
"I get women"
"I have women"
"I got your woman"
"Your woman wants me"
"I drive expensive cars"
"I wear expensive clothes"
"My money is unlimited"
"I make money"

Wash, Rinse, Dry & Repeat

Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 AM

405 posts, read 822,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't think its ruining just the black culture, but ALL cultures. Every culture out there tries to imitate it and it is, quite frankly, disgusting. You see white, black, asian, indian, and every culture in the world dressing in "hip hop" clothings, speaking like they are some "gangster," and listening to god awful music, which only promotes violence, usually with guns, and demeans women.

Its truly funny trying to talk with a white 16 yr old girl and ask her what the lyrics from this or that song means. When you show them written and explain it tells men, the only thing you are good for, is sex. You'll never amount to be anything but a "ho." You should truly see the look in their eyes. They get it, for about 10 seconds. Then go right back to what they were doing.

If I had my way, it would be banned off the face of the earth. I wonder how many "hip hop" singers and rappers will be shot and killed in Las Vegas this weekend...
The difference between black youth and white and other youth is that the whole Hip Hop thing is usually just a fad or phase for non-black kids that they know how and when to turn on and off, and that they eventually grow out of, whereas a large number black kids actually internalize the negative lyrics and images and actually try to go out and LIVE what they hear and see in the songs and videos. They feel like that's what they have to do to "keep it real" and feel that it affirms their blackness. So yes, current hip hop is DEFINITELY ruining black youth and the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates