Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times

Advertisements

Well....it would seem that, for many posters here, the word Brownback sets their personal stance on any given issue in stone. If Brownback signed it, it's evil....and just that simple.

I think if Brownback signed a bill requiring motorists to yield the right of way to little old ladies crossing the street, the same torch-carrying crowd of angry leftists would introduce a bill repealing it and establishing a reward chest for mowing down the most pedestrians with a car in one week.

Fact is, the abortion issue has nothing to do with religion. Those capable of reflection on the great moral dilemma inherent find little quarrel with this bill.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Fact is, the abortion issue has nothing to do with religion. Those capable of reflection on the great moral dilemma inherent find little quarrel with this bill.
Those capable of reflection on abortion would seek to do everything in their power to prevent the NEED for abortion in the first place. Anti-choice people also are usually anti-birth-control and anti-sex-ed and anti-welfare (they want those kids to be BORN, then who cares what happens to them?).

Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Indeed...
Keep YOUR laws off MY body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Brownbakistan strikes again....how sad for women that live in Kansas...

Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Tina: Are you a minor? Are your parents living here and you have no choice but to stay with them until you are 18? You say you "have to live here", are you incarcerated or is someone holding you against your will? Inasmuch as you can sanction the death of your child if you choose, you can also move to another state or country. You know that right? I am not sure what your limits are but you seem very unhappy in KS. Life is short, especially for those that don't believe in an afterlife so do what you can to be happy while you have a chance.
Oh for God's sake. I am a very youthful 62 years old, and I remember very well what life was like for women before Roe v. Wade. You and I are poles apart on this issue. A zygote is not a person, IMO. And I have to live in Kansas because this is where the job took us.

And who said anything about believing or not believing in an afterlife? Cut the sanctimonious garbage, and while you're at it, don't post any more argument-baiting posts in the Kansas forum. Post in a politicsor social-issues forum.

Or better still, don't post at all.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
It's too bad that Kansas has fallen off the rails in terms of political craziness. Brownback is doing his absolute best to scare off nearly anyone who would ever be considering moving to Kansas anyway. What is more scary is the governor that comes after Brownback. Kansans are notorious for picking true wingnuts like Brownback so they could make the same exact mistake all over again. It really is too bad that Kansas has disintegrated from a moderate state politically, similar to Iowa, to a hard core socially conservative Republican state in the last 20-30 years. Kansas has the worst of both worlds as it has become far right socially conservative while having fairly high levels of taxation with little to show for it outside of Johnson County. Oh well...

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-26-2013 at 08:26 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
...where they were doing the late term abortions...
The rather few late term abortions that occur (less than 2%?) happen almost entirely because of
efforts to make early term abortions difficult to get.

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once the diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds if/when even available HI won't pay)

The right to make the choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
I wanna be just like TinaMcG when I grow up!! Your post sums it up for those of us that do not want anyone making decisions for us when it comes to our own reproductivity.
Shame on the voters that elected this particular Governor-
I was born and raised there, left at the age of 18, still have great friends that reside there and I visit them almost every year but,,,,Kansans deserve better than they are getting with this guy.

Last edited by skibarbie; 04-26-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 01:36 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Actually, the upside in KS has been a few bills they have pushed through and this one is also a winner in restricting abortion and recognizing the rights of all people: Kansas governor signs far-reaching anti-abortion bill | Reuters
If we really want to stop abortion (and I share that desire), it is never going to happen through legislation alone. There are plenty of countries where abortion is illegal (especially in Latin America) and yet where the abortion rate is as high or higher than America's. And there are other countries where it is legal, but where the percentage of pregnancies ending in abortion is much lower than in America (specifically countries like Switzerland & The Netherlands).

Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
I wanna be just like TinaMcG when I grow up!! Your post sums it up for those of us that do not want anyone making decisions for us when it comes to our own reproductivity.
Shame on the voters that elected this particular Governor-
I was born and raised there, left at the age of 18, still have great friends that reside there and I visit them almost every year but,,,,Kansans deserve better than they are getting with this guy.
Ha! Be careful what you wish for!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The rather few late term abortions that occur (less than 2%?) happen almost entirely because of
efforts to make early term abortions difficult to get.

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once the diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds if/when even available HI won't pay)

The right to make the choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.

And once again, let us be clear about where that doctor was doing late-term abortions: PHILADELPHIA, PA -- not Kansas
. But let's not let facts get in the way of idealogical demagoguing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates