Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You truly need to learn the difference between race and socioeconomic class.

All of the things which you pointed out as being "black" traits I happen to see white, Hispanics and Native Americans doing here in Arizona.

And please remember that we ALL know that poor whites in the south exhibit ALL of the traits that you have attributed to "blacks" as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jeMp0uF1kA
I wasn't talking about people in poverty, I was talking about people who are buying decent middle class homes, and driving new cars. They still act trashy, it reminds me of the movie 'Next Friday'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Where I live there's definately a pattern happening lately, older white people passing or going into nursing homes, their house goes on the market and gets bought by blacks, then shortly after that surrounding houses also go up for sale as the remaining whites try to get out.

I'll be honest here, there are a lot of things black people do that just simply annoy most white people...

(1) Generally, blacks are noisier than most whites, I own rental houses in black neighborhoods, and I can often hear people talking in yards 2 or 3 houses up the street.

(2) Black people like bright colors and will often paint their houses bright yellow or even purple. This is a BIG turn off to most white people I know.

(3) Black people often park their cars sideways across the front lawn instead of in the driveway, I'm assuming to show off their 24" rims. The lawn doesn't last long, and eventually turns to bare dirt due to the vehicle traffic.

(4) Black people often have large get togethers and BBQs in the front yard (usually results in #1 listed above).

(5) Many blacks have never owned a home before, and do not understand basic home maintenance. They do not understand things like making sure gutters are kept clean, or making sure the walkway gets edged, etc..

(6) Blacks tend to have those loud boom systems in their cars that rattle windows as they go by.

(7) Blacks tend to hang out on the front porch a lot, it doesn't matter the weather or the time of day, there's almost always someone out there. I know some will say it's a silly compliant, but it looks trashy to see the front porch always cluttered up with plastic lawn chairs.

Now, I know this isn't every black person, I know some who live in very nice well kept homes, but unfortunately where I live it's not the norm. I also know some trashy white people, but those people usually aren't eager to move into well kept neighborhoods. I'm sure many of the things I listed above are why a lot of newer subdivisions have HOAs, they won't admit it, but it's true.
I can assure you that here in middle-class (not trash class) Florida at least 5 of the 7 above are normal for the "white" population. Who the heck needs a driveway when you have a florida lawn (weeds, etc.).

Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about people in poverty, I was talking about people who are buying decent middle class homes, and driving new cars. They still act trashy, it reminds me of the movie 'Next Friday'.
And the college educated professional class flees from those towns and live in much more expensive towns with much better school systems. It's not binary. It is a spectrum of distribution and self-segregation by socioeconomic class. The high end towns are largely race agnostic. You care that your new neighbor is a college educated professional who is an engaged parent. They can be Chinese, Indian, Black, Muslim, whatever. The barrier of entry is 5 percenter household income.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I can assure you that here in middle-class (not trash class) Florida at least 5 of the 7 above are normal for the "white" population. Who the heck needs a driveway when you have a florida lawn (weeds, etc.).
I live in Georgia. In the subdivision I live in(still living with parents until I buy my own house), there are maybe one or two families in the whole place that park a car on the lawn. No one plays loud music at night. Occasionally there are people hanging out on the porch (only on houses that have them) and very often, that's during the summer nights. The racial mix is about 65 percent White/35 percent Black in my subdivision.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:27 PM

412 posts, read 385,674 times
There are a lot of serious cultural incompatibilities in the USA. We hear preaching of "tolerance", but at very LEAST, a sorting of cultural preferences has to happen. Because Americans seem to have NO hunger to merge into some cultural mix.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
"White flight" back in the 1950s was partially caused by a huge housing shortage for returning WW-II soldiers and their young, growing families in the cities. Cheap land and tract housing in the suburbs was the initial draw before racial issues were assigned to the trend.

Quote:
Where I live there's definately a pattern happening lately, older white people passing or going into nursing homes, their house goes on the market and gets bought by blacks, then shortly after that surrounding houses also go up for sale as the remaining whites try to get out. Yes, people are dying to get out of white neighborhoods. That is actually an interesting dynamic in suburban neighborhoods as kids grow up and move away the older generations die off. New people -- different people -- move in. I was raised in and around Ferguson, Missouri, and that is largely what happened there.

I'll be honest here, there are a lot of things black people do that just simply annoy most white people... (No...not most. Just you in your bubble. Get out more. Meet new people.)

(1) Generally, blacks are noisier than most whites, I own rental houses in black neighborhoods, and I can often hear people talking in yards 2 or 3 houses up the street. (Are you an absentee landlord? This is what is called a community. People know their neighbors and talk to them. Refreshing concept.)

(2) Black people like bright colors and will often paint their houses bright yellow or even purple. This is a BIG turn off to most white people I know. (Life is hard in a bubble. Expand your circle, visit other places. This contradicts #5 below.)

(3) Black people often park their cars sideways across the front lawn instead of in the driveway, I'm assuming to show off their 24" rims. The lawn doesn't last long, and eventually turns to bare dirt due to the vehicle traffic. (This might be an enforcement issue...check city ordinances. If not illegal, look away. Don't be jealous of those rims.)

(4) Black people often have large get togethers and BBQs in the front yard (usually results in #1 listed above). (Again...this is a community not a prison. Apparently people know their neighbors and enjoy each others' company... I recall that we had street parties in my very white neighborhood on some summer evenings back in the 1950s and 1960s. We knew our neighbors as well as some people a few blocks away. )

(5) Many blacks have never owned a home before, (See #2, above) and do not understand basic home maintenance. They do not understand things like making sure gutters are kept clean, or making sure the walkway gets edged, etc.. (Seriously? Edging the walkway is an issue with you???)

(6) Blacks tend to have those loud boom systems in their cars that rattle windows as they go by.
(Some do...most don't. Some Whites and Hispanics do as well. Again...check ordinances.)

(7) Blacks tend to hang out on the front porch a lot, it doesn't matter the weather or the time of day, there's almost always someone out there. I know some will say it's a silly compliant, but it looks trashy to see the front porch always cluttered up with plastic lawn chairs. (Yes, silly, indeed. Front porches were a social venue in prior decades, not just for looks, and in some climates people used porches to escape indoor heat and humidity. Is the issue the type of furniture on the porch or the audacity of people actually being visible on the porch? Either way, it's not your call.)

Now, I know this isn't every black person, I know some who live in very nice well kept homes, but unfortunately where I live it's not the norm. I also know some trashy white people, but those people usually aren't eager to move into well kept neighborhoods. I'm sure many of the things I listed above are why a lot of newer subdivisions have HOAs, they won't admit it, but it's true.

Well...you should move into a gated community with a high fence and a strong, intrusive HOA. Maybe get on the HOA board because you have a talent for conformity and being judgmental regarding how people live. In some places that is an asset. Saudi Arabia comes to mind. There might actually be ordinances in your town regarding lawn parking and excessive car radio noise.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Back in the 1950s when I was a kid, people moved to get better school systems. Often they might start out in a lower income area of a city and then move out to a suburb that had better schools. Also, cities were getting run down while suburbs were new and attractive.

There was concern about property values though and worry when someone thought a black family might move in and lower the property values.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We're not even talking ethic foods - just something that doesn't cause obesity, diabetes and heart disease. It also IS an indication of basic education and culture...if, for example, you can buy freshly baked bread.

Last time I looked it was often French and Italians cooking that good bread. White people.

There are many rural areas which are more cultured than others - often those which started that way due to the influence of either colleges or higher-tech industries.

In the end a Good Life is what life is all about, IMHO. Perhaps I'm wrong and the goal is to be surrounded by gates, fences and guard shacks and feel safe? I think that is called prison.
Steak and pancakes don't cause obesity, diabetes or heart disease, and freshly baked bread can be found in any chain supermarket nowadays regardless of the prosperity of the neighborhood it is found in, so you're not making much sense here. The contempt you and your wife have for people not living an urban lifestyle is clear, but that's all that's clear, really.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM

283 posts, read 327,445 times
I'll just say first off, as a black person, I appreciate the blunt but not disrespectful nature of this post. I hate passive aggressiveness so this is a breath of fresh air

Quote:
Where I live there's definately a pattern happening lately, older white people passing or going into nursing homes, their house goes on the market and gets bought by blacks, then shortly after that surrounding houses also go up for sale as the remaining whites try to get out.

I'll be honest here, there are a lot of things black people do that just simply annoy most white people...

(1) Generally, blacks are noisier than most whites, I own rental houses in black neighborhoods, and I can often hear people talking in yards 2 or 3 houses up the street.

Agreed. I'm not a noisy person but in general this is true

(2) Black people like bright colors and will often paint their houses bright yellow or even purple. This is a BIG turn off to most white people I know.

Never heard this before

(3) Black people often park their cars sideways across the front lawn instead of in the driveway, I'm assuming to show off their 24" rims. The lawn doesn't last long, and eventually turns to bare dirt due to the vehicle traffic.

Must be a southern thing

(4) Black people often have large get togethers and BBQs in the front yard (usually results in #1 listed above).

This is true, anyone who lives in a black neighborhood had better get used to the smell of BBQ. We also love blasting soul and R&B music at these things
(5) Many blacks have never owned a home before, and do not understand basic home maintenance. They do not understand things like making sure gutters are kept clean, or making sure the walkway gets edged, etc..

Never seen this

This is true, should be illegal to blast music out of your car tbh

(7) Blacks tend to hang out on the front porch a lot, it doesn't matter the weather or the time of day, there's almost always someone out there. I know some will say it's a silly compliant, but it looks trashy to see the front porch always cluttered up with plastic lawn chairs.

This is true also, we tend to not like just staying in the house all day

At the end of the day, "white flight" doesnt bother me. I understand that there are things black people do that befuddles some whites. Everyone has the right to associate or not associate with whomever they want. I know several black people who have moved out of neighborhoods as soon as Hispanics (namely Mexicans) start pouring in. Too many cultural differences and tensions so really almost every race is quick to do their own "flight" when the culture of their community starts to change.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Your post doesn't really consider the most recent urban trend of in-fill, where whites are moving back into the inner cities and gentrifying them. And, predictably, some are condemning them for coming in and driving up property values, rent, you name it. I read an article in the New York Times a few months ago on this very subject. So damned if you do, damned if you don't. In my own city, the downtown area and some surrounding neighborhoods have enjoyed a renaissance that has bordered on miraculous over the past six-seven years. And now some community organizers are protesting the changes.

In truth, White Flight was a reaction to several factors.

Strike One was metastasizing crime. From 1960 to 1980, violent crime rose 370% while property crime rose 310% during the same period.

Strike Two was the badly-considered public housing programs under the Great Society program. Rather than achieving their intended purpose of creating dignified housing for those in poverty, it actually created highly concentrated pockets of poverty in city centers. Of late, more enlightened programs such as Hope VI have come along, creating more mixed-income neighborhoods which, unlike their predecessors, have much lower crime rates.

Strike Three was the court-ordered busing. So if you're a working class household, and you're seeing crime spike in your city, and some judge tells you that you now have to ship your child to an inner city school ten miles away, how willing are you to put your kid on that bus?

In retrospect, everybody loved to say all the pious things until it was their child and their safety on the line. But when faced with the cold reality of failures in policing and policy, these people were putting their houses on the market and heading to the suburbs. And if you really want to be fair here, middle-class and professional black families were doing precisely the same things. The most integrated schools in my city are in well-to-do suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates