Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,252 times

Advertisements

They do call themselves Indians since they are from India. But now we have two races of people calling themselves Indians. It seems the east Indians stole American Indians name. I just read an article about something having to do with an indian and didn't realize that it was an east indian until the end of the article'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Have you heard the term Native American?

Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 PM

211 posts, read 301,939 times
"It seems the east Indians stole American Indians name". This is a joke, right?

If not, please refer below...

Native American name controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I guess the OP skipped elementary school because that's where I learned why Native Americans are called Indians.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I guess the OP skipped elementary school because that's where I learned why Native Americans are called Indians.
When I was in elementary school they were still called Indians, and anything contrary to that wasn't suggested. But I agree that Native Americans is the appropriate term.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:38 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
OP, are you being deliberately obtuse? It was that moron Christopher Columbus who started this confusion. Indians from India are the true Indians (root word is the Indus River in present-day India and Pakistan), while the natives of North America are Native Americans or First Nations (Canada).
It's also how the word Hindu/Hinduism arose. It was a word invented by Arab traders to refer to the people of the Indus Valley.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Most American Indians I know (and I've worked with many) call themselves "Indians" not Native Americans. Often too they use their tribal or nation name--Chippewa, Stockbridge, Navajo, Oneida and so forth.

I think American Indians are being rebranded as Native Americans in order to shove them aside in the interests of Asian Indians whom the establishment now consider more economically valuable than native Indians. A subtle form of racism. Once more the Indian must step aside.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Well... being as I am part Native American I usually just call myself American. Now more specifically I would call myself Pequot since that is the nation I am descended from. After all there were once many nations living here before Columbus came along and declared that this was the Indies and my ancestors were all Indians.

Yes often native Americans call themselves Indians. It is a European word and the name given to them by European settlers. If you asked them what they called themselves in their own language the answer would be different.

People from India probably also do not refer to themselves as Indian in their native tongue. It is just easier to use the word people in this country are most familiar with in general conversation.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Most American Indians I know (and I've worked with many) call themselves "Indians" not Native Americans. Often too they use their tribal or nation name--Chippewa, Stockbridge, Navajo, Oneida and so forth.

I think American Indians are being rebranded as Native Americans in order to shove them aside in the interests of Asian Indians whom the establishment now consider more economically valuable than native Indians. A subtle form of racism. Once more the Indian must step aside.
Same here -- they "Indian". A lot of people will call the people from India "dot Indians" to distinguish them from American Indians.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Well... being as I am part Native American I usually just call myself American. Now more specifically I would call myself Pequot since that is the nation I am descended from. After all there were once many nations living here before Columbus came along and declared that this was the Indies and my ancestors were all Indians.

Yes often native Americans call themselves Indians. It is a European word and the name given to them by European settlers. If you asked them what they called themselves in their own language the answer would be different.

People from India probably also do not refer to themselves as Indian in their native tongue. It is just easier to use the word people in this country are most familiar with in general conversation.
Also "Indian" relates to "indigenous" which is what they are to the USA. Lately I've seen them use NDN in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates