Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

People are more willing to sell you something if it looks like you enjoy spending money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 PM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
To quote Fred Flintstone:
You're only friend is a buck.
The more bucks you got, the more friends
you got.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How would you know?

How would you know (apart from a famous person) if they were rich?

If you can't possibly know, then how can you form a bias upon which to base your behavior towards them?

I think all things being equal, white, penis, gray hair gets you more instant on-demand respect and better treatment. All other things being equal.

But other than that, you'd have to make some wild assumptions.

Very true, and I never realized that until my hair started turning gray.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

A year ago my wife and I were eating at a chain restaurant at an upscale shopping area where the surrounding neighborhoods house upper middle class to wealthy families. Less than ten miles from this area is an extremely poor inner city neighborhood with most residents making less than 15K a year.

As my wife and I were eating a man and woman came in with their four children and were seated within view of our table.

It was immediately obvious that they were not from the area but from a rather poor neighborhood.
It wasn't so much the clothing that seemed out of place even though it was more inner city oriented, it was overwhelmingly the behavior of the family that caused an almost circus like atmosphere to ensue.

The mother was extremely loud as she was scolding here children at an almost constant rate. The man which I assume was the father was also loud using profanity to exclaim his displeasure with the entire unfolding scene. the families table manners were boorish and extremely primitive.

My wife and I along with the other tables surrounding them were less than thrilled with our front row seats to the center ring.

I'm not saying that all people within this class strata are like this but it was obvious that to these people this was the norm and not the exception.

They were stereotypical in all behaviors and language.

In summery, it's not so much that people with money are treated better but as a whole their behaviors mostly mirror those of the middle class which despite current economic conditions are still the majority in this country.
And you really have no idea how much they had, you just saw four kids and instantly knew they must be from the low-income area and everything they did after that validated your assumption.

I've seen people with money act like absolute trash, and I've seen poor people with manners.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I kind of like the low key role... lets me see how people really are when they think they don't have to be on their best behavior or no one is looking.

Remember once I was out painting the curb red at one building I own and had scheduled interviews for an onsite manager position... I highly recomend it because I was able to dismiss several just by their actions.

Remember pulling up to a property and parking in the visitor spot... I had just bought the place... I was told there was no vacancies and my car would be towed if I didn't move it...

Keep em guessing works for me...
I'm a pretty dressed down person too. It is interesting to see who is shallow and who is not. So what did you say to the no vacancy/will tow person?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Without a doubt- YES.
I've lived both ways- with lots of money & also, with next to nothing.
People definitely treat you better and with more respect when you have money. There are no exceptions that I've seen to this.
Moral of the story: make a lot of money

Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
I've noticed the rich and people with money get treated better and have a better deal in life than the have not. I've witness this in nursing homes, restuarants, schools, churches, Hotels, stores, the police and the judiciary system. Have you noticed this too? Enlightened us. Share your stories and experience.
No. I never tell people how much money I have.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
But I think that the assumption that better looking, better made-up, better dressed people are wealthier.

So I guess my answer is yes, they do, when they think you have more money.
Then they didn't read "The Millionaire Next Door". A lot of people who have money have it because they don't spend much. They live frugally which means they might not be blowing lots of money on new clothes, cars and other fluff.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Yes they do.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
I'm a pretty dressed down person too. It is interesting to see who is shallow and who is not. So what did you say to the no vacancy/will tow person?
I said I wasn't worried about it and the person asked why and then introduced myself..

Some of the most well to do guys I know do not put on the dog as Grandmother would say...

Unfortunately... the same cannot be said for some of their family members.

A couple of these guys restore collector cars for a hobby... it drives some of their wives crazy... one told me he can buy any darn car he wants and all he wants is to spend a year making a silk purse from a sows ear.

It often only takes a generation or two for the fortune to be gone or nearly so.

Those that inherit lack the same drive or money acumen to hold onto it...

I know a 90 year old Japanese man that owns an entire city block... he likes nothing better to go there and putter around... sweeps the gutters and picks up trash... property is worth maybe 20 million and he owns half with his older brother...

People drop trash right in front of him and he picks it up with a smile... he told me class cannot be bought... it's something you either have or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates