Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

This is a list posted on another forum:

20 Things the Rich Do Every Day - daveramsey.com

However, I'm interested in focusing on #11:

Quote:
11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor.
My 2 questions for discussion:

1) Correlation doesn't imply causality. So does having a habit of not speaking one's mind better one's chances of becoming wealthy or does being wealthy foster a habit of not speaking one's mind?

2) What direct result of not speaking one's mind will better one's chances of success (if there is any)? Examples:

a. Not offending people (and thus being better able to build connections)
b. Not revealing one's true intentions.
c. Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Those two both apply. I'd add that once you have a big mortgage, college fund and a comfortable lifestyle to protect, you're less likely to say something that puts it all at risk.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
While I agree with sskink, I think more of it that the people who are rich, or even comfortably middle class don't feel like they have to complain about what does bother them, while the poor are always complaining about not being able to afford things. Just think about friends who are rich/comfortable vs poor and what they post on Facebook.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM

It seems the Japanese actually have a term for this sociological phenomenon that's pretty much human nature and prevalent in every culture: Honne and tatemae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Those two both apply. I'd add that once you have a big mortgage, college fund and a comfortable lifestyle to protect, you're less likely to say something that puts it all at risk.
Different people have different definitions of "rich" but I wouldn't think an individual who has to worry about fulfilling obligations like a mortgage is "rich" vs. someone who is financially independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While I agree with sskink, I think more of it that the people who are rich, or even comfortably middle class don't feel like they have to complain about what does bother them, while the poor are always complaining about not being able to afford things. Just think about friends who are rich/comfortable vs poor and what they post on Facebook.
Yeah, I'd agree that the "complaining" subset of "speaking one's mind" will definitely reduce one's earning potentials.. but it's still a tough call making such a blanket generalization of "speaking one's mind".

And to add.. every functional human being will display this behavior to some degree.. it's just not practical to express how you truly feel 99% of the time to 99% of the people you meet. But I still have a hard time believing wealthier folks refrain to a significantly greater degree than average.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Your mouth is the gateway to all your misfortunes.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
How on earth were these percentages arrived at? Seems so arbitrary

I respect people whose honne and tatemae are as close to identical as possible

Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
2) What direct result of not speaking one's mind will better one's chances of success (if there is any)? Examples:

a. Not offending people (and thus being better able to build connections)
b. Not revealing one's true intentions.
c. Others?
I agree that this doesn't imply causation but I can think of a few things.

First: what does "speaking one's mind" really mean? It's pretty vague. I'm taking it to mean being reactive in your speech and perhaps speaking before you've fully considered what you're about to say. With that in mind:

1) I sort of believe people who so-called "speak their mind" are usually sharing low-brow gossipy, whiny junk.
2) I believe it's always a good idea to slow your reactive mind down and let your better mind catch up.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
How on earth were these percentages arrived at? Seems so arbitrary

I respect people whose honne and tatemae are as close to identical as possible
I dont care what the exact numbers are and whether they are precise or not, just the notion that there is a difference between the wealthy and the poor in this specific respect (or is there? Thats the point of the debate...)

Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 PM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I dont care what the exact numbers are and whether they are precise or not, just the notion that there is a difference between the wealthy and the poor in this specific respect (or is there? Thats the point of the debate...)
Without knowing how these things are being defined, exactly, I'd say that the supposed gap is way too wide...the 6% being the much more problematic "stat" of the two IMO

Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
A couple of things:

Wealthy people tend to have better manners and what is considered to be good manners is clearly defined. The children of the wealthy are raised to understand what good manners are.

The wrong careless words can get you sued for a lot of money. The poor could care less whether they are sued or not. The wealthy have a lot to lose, so they are more careful.

The good manners goes towards the idea of networking and networking is very important.

The wealthy do not spew out their good business ideas or their business plans to everyone standing close to them. They don't want their business ideas stolen or thwarted, or used for insider trading, which is illegal and could land them in jail.

I've certainly had the lower income fiolks tell me in detail where they are going to be working and what their problems are with their families. Some of them have no filters at all. I've never met anyone with wealth who tells personal things to strangers, and I can't say that about the low income folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates