Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Will society in the United States ever get to a point to where males and females will share public restrooms at the same time? Will society ever evolve on the issue of gender separation in public places?
Possibly in some places, but I am not sure about in all places.

That said, I do support having a gender-neutral bathroom option for individuals such as (non-transgender) cross-dressers. After all, I am not particularly fond of forcing male cross-dressers to face the risk of getting beat up by some idiotic "macho men" if they will go into the male bathroom while they cross-dress.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I don't think coed same-time use will happen much unless they do away with urinals and force males to **** in toilets. That may very well happen, though.
To be fair, though, females can pee standing up nowadays as well:

Women can pee standing up with Go Girl | Go Girl Female Urination Device

Old 03-01-2014, 05:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
it always seemed like a silly separation to me, guess it ties into our shyness around the opposite sex. Women don't want men to know they fart on the toilet too.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Why would anyone want to have the same rest rooms? Women have yet to figure out how to use the toilet seat. I remember women saying that they almost fell in because the seat was up. Who the heck doesn't look at the seat before sitting on it? I check out that seat before I put my tail on it. Never know if someone left a present for you. I have kids in the home and who knows what they may have done to the seat. I always check. Now the kids are getting older so this is less of a cause for concern but still I keep checking.

On top of that, why would anyone want to share the restroom with the opposite sex out of respect for modesty? What purpose or reason would you have both sexes in the restroom at the same time?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I don't really know if I have an answer to this question but it makes me think of that 90s movie Starship Troopers where everyone showers together and their is really no issue at all. Kinda funny.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes they are called , family restrooms.....
I have seen those at rest stops on the interstate. I assume that they probably also have baby changing tables in them which any gender parent can use. Do men's rooms generally have changing tables? Daddy never takes baby out and needs to change him or her?

I think this is wonderful idea.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:02 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why would anyone want to have the same rest rooms? Women have yet to figure out how to use the toilet seat. I remember women saying that they almost fell in because the seat was up. Who the heck doesn't look at the seat before sitting on it? I check out that seat before I put my tail on it. Never know if someone left a present for you. I have kids in the home and who knows what they may have done to the seat. I always check. Now the kids are getting older so this is less of a cause for concern but still I keep checking.

On top of that, why would anyone want to share the restroom with the opposite sex out of respect for modesty? What purpose or reason would you have both sexes in the restroom at the same time?
I assume you are male and have never been inside a women's room. There is totaly privacy because each toilet is separate with a door on it which can be closed. Don't think male urinals.

In all my 65 years of using public restrooms, I have never once seen a woman in full view on the john. Never. This is why it would not matter if a transgender person used a women's facility. NOBODY see anything behind closed doors.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I assume you are male and have never been inside a women's room. There is totaly privacy because each toilet is separate with a door on it which can be closed. Don't think male urinals.

In all my 65 years of using public restrooms, I have never once seen a woman in full view on the john. Never. This is why it would not matter if a transgender person used a women's facility. NOBODY see anything behind closed doors.
Which is why women's bathroom will always have lines. There's no express option.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have seen those at rest stops on the interstate. I assume that they probably also have baby changing tables in them which any gender parent can use. Do men's rooms generally have changing tables? Daddy never takes baby out and needs to change him or her?

I think this is wonderful idea.
Yes, many men's rooms having them.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

421 posts, read 676,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
I seriously doubt it. If for no other reason, I believe neither party would be pleased with the perceived prospect of unwelcomed straight on straight leering. I imagine social media and polls would reflected that as well.

As for homosexuality and leering in the bathroom, I don't think the majority ever consider this for some reason or another. Besides, the issue isn't merely of leering but of safety. The overwhelming amount of non prison rapes are straight males raping women. Straight men are much more likely to rape a woman than a homosexual man or woman to rape a straight man or woman. No reason to incite the urge with confined spaces were people's private parts are exposed.

Of course maybe I'm overestimating how sexual people are. But I believe the media perception and gender roles still lean far toward men being 'dogs' than women being 'dogs'.

I'm not saying co-ed bathrooms couldn't work, but I think the above is the reason we won't ever see them in our lifetimes. Patriarchy screwed co-ed bathrooms over...
There is a logical reason for this. Only a little over 1% of the population is gay. If half the population was gay it would be a very different scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates