Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times

Advertisements

Not reading the rest of this thread, but the answer is obvious to me. The Jewish religion has a focus on study and discussion. Any group that collectively prioritizes education is going to have greater material success, just by virtue of having more knowledge and perspectives at their disposal. Please note that Asian culture has traditionally emphasized memorization in education rather than debate/discussion, and that may have something to do with the disparity between those two groups.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
The main difference between Jews, Asians and Whites, is that Whites are too preoccupied with equality. Whites suffer from self-guilt. Jews & Asians have no issue with sticking with their own.
Last I checked, Jews were considered white.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Last I checked, Jews were considered white.
Most are, but there are some Latin and African Jews, particularly from Ethiopia.

Point is, Judaism is a religion, not a race.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Most are, but there are some Latin and African Jews, particularly from Ethiopia.

Point is, Judaism is a religion, not a race.
It is and it isnt. The Hebrews were a collection of 12 tribes. I.E. "race based." The Jews are the remaining tribes after the diaspora. There was some interbreeding with other communities but ideally it is a racially based religion. Its not like Christianity or Buddhism where just anyone can believe it and be among them.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
It is and it isnt. The Hebrews were a collection of 12 tribes. I.E. "race based." The Jews are the remaining tribes after the diaspora. There was some interbreeding with other communities but ideally it is a racially based religion. Its not like Christianity or Buddhism where just anyone can believe it and be among them.
One can convert to Judaism. I know quite a few who have done it. There are more hoops to jump through than converting to Catholicism, but it's by no means impossible.

Are Hindus a race?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,061 times
Someone said persecution of Germans in Czechoslavakia is "alleged". It's not alleged considering Germans there and in Poland (Danzig) were persecuted, and many killed and/or forced into refugee camps. Poland has a long track record of promoting anti-German sentiment and before Germany invaded in 1939 was persecuting all of its minorities: Ukrainians, Germans, and Ruthenians.

Because of conversion some Jews are pure-blooded white, but by religion only. However, most Jews are not fully white. Sure they have European admixture and thereby some have blue or green eyes, pale skin, or some other European features. But at large they are a mixed race of people and often have features not seen in white people. After all, how can someone "look Jewish" if it's only a race?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Not reading the rest of this thread, but the answer is obvious to me. The Jewish religion has a focus on study and discussion. Any group that collectively prioritizes education is going to have greater material success, just by virtue of having more knowledge and perspectives at their disposal. Please note that Asian culture has traditionally emphasized memorization in education rather than debate/discussion, and that may have something to do with the disparity between those two groups.

This so accurate!

Verbal sklls, questioning, social justice and volunteerism are not emphasized as much n the Asian American community.

As to weather can be replicated, it has been replicated. I know of many African Americans who follow this model, through my children's summer camp.

The difference in the Asian model and the Jewish American model mght be summed up in the idea that one is a "culture of DO" - service to others, to the planet and to impoverished and oppressed people. The other is a culture of DON"T.

Last edited by sheena12; 04-16-2014 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This so accurate!

Verbal sklls, questioning, social justice and volunteerism are not emphasized as much n the Asian American community.

As to weather can be replicated, it has been replicated. I know of many African Americans who follow this model, through my children's summer camp.

The difference in the Asian model and the Jewish American model mght be summed up in the idea that one is a "culture of DO" - service to others, to the planet and to impoverished and oppressed people. The other is a culture of DON"T.
Who holds this "culture of don't"?

Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ashkenazi jews have statistically higher IQs. IQ strongly correlates with income, especially at the edges/outliers.
Historically Jews treat education as a commodity. The more and better the education usually translates to higher income. Jews at all levels have been readers through most of time and believe knowledge is power. Thus it's not simply some IQ number. Its what one does with their education or their life lessons. So as to the OP, in the case of Israel it will be reproduced fro generations to come as they highly subsidize their citizens and attempt to get the right people in the right fields. In the education system in the US as the costs skyrocket for everyone, Jews are assimilating into misc areas (non Jewish neighborhoods) and thus the numbers will most likely drop over the next generation or two.

Think about why Middle Eastern Jews are known as "People of the Book" outside of just reading the Bible.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
it's them who invented private property, capitalism and everything that goes with it
and created a religion out of it
And? Ironically, the invention of Communism!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates