Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM

684 posts, read 868,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Sounds to me like you're looking for a scapegoat to blame for your own lack of success. You should know that there is a long history of discrimination against Jews, blacks, Catholics, Asians, pretty much anyone except WASPS when it comes to employment in the US. My grandmother had to lie about her religion to get hired in a shoe factory during the Depression - ads routinely specified no Jews allowed. We're talking overt discrimination here. And you think you're not getting promoted because you're not Jewish? Get real.

I don't think they were saying that the Jewish community has not been discriminated against. Obviously, that would be ridiculous -- though the same would hold true for: Irish, Italians, Asians, Indians et al.

I thought they were more on the point that Jews may well favor hiring other Jews when they are in a position of authority, such as would be true when they own or head up a firm. Moreover, I know that in Hollywood -- an industry that has allegedly long been dominated by firms that are Jewish owned or have a Jewish head -- there is a strong belief by many non-Jews who work in the industry that the significant number of Jewish individuals (actors, writers, directors, producers, etc.) who earn a living there stems from favoritism from the top. Which would not seem to support the Jewish communities alleged support of "diversity" but is otherwise legal as best I know.

ETA: Both Mel Gibson's drunken rant and his "Passion of the Christ" movie comes to mind.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
The most successful people in America are not Jews but are in fact Lebanese Americans. Even here in NYC aka Jew York City, the mecca of Jewish American culture. Their is still Jewish poverty that still exist especially amongst the Hasidic Jews and Russian immigrants who are mostly Jewish. Plenty of Hasidic and Russian Jews recieve welfare, snap and medicaid. Don't get me wrong, NYC has plenty of income inequality and plenty of Jews make up the 1 percent here but plenty forget that Jewish poverty exist but its not as well known compared to African American and Hispanic poverty.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-15-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The most successful people in America are not Jews but are in fact Lebanese Americans. Even here in NYC aka Jew York City, the mecca of Jewish American culture. Their is still Jewish poverty that still exist especially amongst the Hasidic Jews and Russian immigrants who are mostly Jewish. Plenty of Hasidic and Russian Jews recieve welfare, snap and medicaid. Don't get me wrong, NYC has plenty of income inequality and plenty of Jews make up the 1 percent here but plenty forget that Jewish poverty exist but its not as well known compared to African American and Hispanic poverty.
Good point. There are poor and middle class Jews. I grew up with middle class Jews and work in an area where there are plenty of poor ones. Many of them who came here off the boat from Ellis Island were not wealthy money changers but were very poor.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets not get it twisted Various civilizations have persecuted Jews and Jews in persecuated lands remained in poverty, Ancient Egypt, Babylon, Persia, Selecuid Greece, Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire Crusader States, Kingdom of Spain, Kingdom of Portugal, Venetian Republic, Russian Empire, Nazi Germany, Soviet Union, Communist Cuba, Ethiopia, Russian Federation. These nations persecuted Jews and in way shape or form prevented Jews from exceeding.
Yes, true. But it seems like you leave out why they were expelled and cases in which Jews persecuted others.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
The main difference between Jews, Asians and Whites, is that Whites are too preoccupied with equality. Whites suffer from self-guilt. Jews & Asians have no issue with sticking with their own.
Probably because Jews and Asians have been marginalized by whites...

Whites don't suffer from self-guilt. Quite the opposite, in fact. You can't feel guilty about issues that you aren't even comfortable talking about or acknowledging.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I think that now is the moment to remind people of that soliloquy in Shakespeare's 'Merchant of Venice', where Shylock is basically describing what Freud called 'Projection'. He laments that people's perceptions of Jews are dependent upon what those people want Jews to be. In other words, people tend to project both the characteristics they desire for themselves (smart, ruthless, "good at business", rich, thrifty...) and the personal characteristics of which they are ashamed (dirty, lazy, pushy, hypersexual, scheming...) onto Jews.

That phenomenon is being repeatedly displayed on this thread.
Generally I like your posts.

Is ruthless an admirable trait?

There are and have been MORE THAN ENOUGH gentile geniuses, heroes, innovators, and creators of all sorts in ALL RACES AND ETHNICITIES so that anyone in the know doesn't have to be jealous of just Jews or any other group and vice versa. The list is too long for here.

And for the good businessmen, there have been quite a few Gentile ones too. Some examples: Henry Ford, Ferdinand Porsche, Adolf Dassler (Adidas), Rudolf Dassler (Puma), Walt Disney, Hugo Boss, Karl Benz, and so on.

Freud did little good for psychology and the whole "people hate the Jews because they are jealous" thing is a bit disingenuous I believe. There are many intelligent Jews, some that even added to Western Civilization, and I've met quite a few who are very likable, warm, and sincere.But like any other group, they have been both persecuted and persecutors. This goes for every group of people, but usually when one talks about Jews as persecutors, they are put to task and labelled an anti-Semite. So it is a bit Even Jewish scholars like Noam Chomsky, Israel Shahak, and Normal Finkelstein (whose parents were interned at Majdanek) have been called "self hating Jews" when they seem nothing of the sort and rather seem to be people about Jewish issues openly and honestly.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Probably because Jews and Asians have been marginalized by whites...

Whites don't suffer from self-guilt. Quite the opposite, in fact. You can't feel guilty about issues that you aren't even comfortable talking about or acknowledging.
Asians have been marginalized by whites? Quite odd considering Asians have and still are FLOCKING to white countries with the land and economy and infrastructure whites have built and provided. Yes, wealthy Jews who've flourished in high paid fields sure are marginalized, so marginalized that some live in mansions.

I wonder how hugely rich media people like Sumner Redstone, Michael Eisner, and the like got to where they are being marginalized.

Same goes for wealthy Asian businessmen and doctors doing quite well in white countries as well. Some mistreatment. And just how welcoming would Asians be if whites started pouring into their countries? Would they welcome them in the first place? And if whites are so marginalizing of them, why do they continue to emigrate to white countries? Strange, strange.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo4you View Post
i heard jews usually help themselves first .. like Jews buy only from Jews businesses.

Then you heard wrong. The three people who were being helped by the Jewish Community Center in KS, who were gunned down by a white supremacist were two Methodists and a Catholic.

These three Christians were being helped by JCC, a Jewish run charitable organization.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I think that now is the moment to remind people of that soliloquy in Shakespeare's 'Merchant of Venice', where Shylock is basically describing what Freud called 'Projection'. He laments that people's perceptions of Jews are dependent upon what those people want Jews to be. In other words, people tend to project both the characteristics they desire for themselves (smart, ruthless, "good at business", rich, thrifty...) and the personal characteristics of which they are ashamed (dirty, lazy, pushy, hypersexual, scheming...) onto Jews.

That phenomenon is being repeatedly displayed on this thread.

Awesome post, Gloria.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
Please explain what you meant when you said: "legitimately" persecuted.

Legitimately?
I could have said "actually" persecuted (i.e., claims of persecution are legitimate), meaning their historical persecution as a group is not exaggerated. The Jews, the Mormons, Cubans under Castro, minority tribes in Africa, etc. have all been persecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates