Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,106 times

Advertisements

I wanted to add that the some in the black community are aware of how many babies are aborted each year. There are websites devoted to informing people that the biggest cause of death in the black community is not heart disease , aids or cancer, it is abortion.

Black Dignity | What's the #1 Cause of Death Among African Americans?
Number One Killer | TooManyAborted.com
BlackGenocide.org | Abortion and the Black Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
I don't think the study showed that abortion lowers crime in the first place. I got the idea from reading some of the articles that it started as a "hypothesis" and then they gathered information to try to support that. I saw no blazing gun. I read through a couple of other articles and this was the one that I found to be the most realistic in presenting its case: Abortion and crime: a new hypothesis | vox I "hypothesize" that beheading criminals in the town square and also televising it would decrease crime as would grabbing suspects and shooting them on the spot but should we go ahead and give those a test run? There are SO many things that could be done to decrease crime and nobody would have to die to get it done.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't think the study showed that abortion lowers crime in the first place. I got the idea from reading some of the articles that it started as a "hypothesis" and then they gathered information to try to support that. I saw no blazing gun. I read through a couple of other articles and this was the one that I found to be the most realistic in presenting its case: Abortion and crime: a new hypothesis | vox I "hypothesize" that beheading criminals in the town square and also televising it would decrease crime as would grabbing suspects and shooting them on the spot but should we go ahead and give those a test run? There are SO many things that could be done to decrease crime and nobody would have to die to get it done.
Well, what do you think did result in a net decrease in violent crime by approximately 50% from 1994 to present?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi..._1973-2003.jpg

Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 AM

652 posts, read 874,618 times
Abortion helps humble those who have no respect for life on this earth. People forget how many lives on this earth have been miserable. There is no forgiveness or understanding, everything happens for a reason.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree that medical insurance would be more affordable if it worked as it did many years ago: a safety net for expensive care.

However, excluding coverage for contraception from the system as it currently exists is unwise, and an employer should have absolutely no input in which method of contraception an employee chooses. There are some employers who want no contraception provided even if it were to be free.
Would women be more careful in using contraception if the employers covered it, but refused to cover pregnancy related expenses, including abortions?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
Given the choice of being born or not being born, we all would have opted to be born.
I don't think that's true at all. Aside from the evidence we see in the suicide rate, the logical extension of that idea would be that everyone should be producing as many children as possible, since not bringing those children into existence would cause them to suffer in some fashion. But that would gradually lead to global misery and massive resource depletion.

The unconceived don't actually exist, and they don't have "preferences" or "interests" in the manner of living beings of any sort. In other words, if you are giving someone a choice to be born, that means the being is already in some form of existence to begin with, which changes the nature of the question.

As for abortion reducing crime - it might, in some areas, and in some cases. It's a difficult thing to study due to the number of potential factors, many of which have changed over time. It's a difficult claim to prove, which means that people who dispute it will probably always have something upon which to base their dispute. But the evidence is certainly suggestive so far.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Would women be more careful in using contraception if the employers covered it, but refused to cover pregnancy related expenses, including abortions?
You would hope so but you are assuming the woman will make wise choices and think logically and many do not.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't think that's true at all. Aside from the evidence we see in the suicide rate, the logical extension of that idea would be that everyone should be producing as many children as possible, since not bringing those children into existence would cause them to suffer in some fashion. But that would gradually lead to global misery and massive resource depletion.

The unconceived don't actually exist, and they don't have "preferences" or "interests" in the manner of living beings of any sort. In other words, if you are giving someone a choice to be born, that means the being is already in some form of existence to begin with, which changes the nature of the question.

As for abortion reducing crime - it might, in some areas, and in some cases. It's a difficult thing to study due to the number of potential factors, many of which have changed over time. It's a difficult claim to prove, which means that people who dispute it will probably always have something upon which to base their dispute. But the evidence is certainly suggestive so far.
You know it just occurred to me that even if a person grows up to commit a crime it may not be too late . With remorse or a second chance they could still become a productive useful citizen. People can change, still if the crime is really bad it doesn't really matter because they have caused too much harm and they can't change the past.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 AM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
You would hope so but you are assuming the woman will make wise choices and think logically and many do not.
Why all the pressure on women?

Why don't more men get vasectomies?

Why isn't there a bigger push for effective birth control for men, beyond condoms?

Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Why all the pressure on women?

Why don't more men get vasectomies?

Why isn't there a bigger push for effective birth control for men, beyond condoms?
You won't like my answer, but its the truth. Life is always going to be sort of unfair.

Men don't have babies. Women have babies. Its woman who culturally and historically end up raising children when their mate decides to go his separate way. Its a long standing trait of human behavior. When men were out hunting for meat in the Stone Ages, women were back in the caves raising the children.

You can find exceptions to what I'm saying, but often the reason we pay attention to those exceptions is because they are rare or unique.

As such, prevention of an unplanned pregnancy--fair or not--will probably always fall more heavily on women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates